Started Nov 10, 2007 | Discussions
zdravko
Junior MemberPosts: 48
Like?
Language support
In reply to SteMa, Nov 25, 2007

Guys,

I have the following proposition about the localization of the CHDK's menu:

It would be best if all the devolopers can update one "central" version of the English.lng file. That way, every new menu option will have its unique ID in all the different builds available.

If anybody likes the idea, I am ready to help. What would be necessary is the developers of the different CHDK branches to list somewhere all the new strings (in English for their options, made after GrAnd's 148th build. The current English.lng can be used as base ( http://tools.assembla.com/chdk/browser/branches/grand/lang/english.lng?format=raw ). So we can start from ID 211

Best regards,
Zdravko

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tracy Harton
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
Re: Any hope for CHDK for SD800?
In reply to Prognathous, Nov 25, 2007

I found the LED address and have the firmware blinker running, but I haven't gotten my capture device working just yet. Couldn't scrounge up a sensor and radio shack was out.

tracy

Marty Too
Senior MemberPosts: 1,007
Like?
Versions?
In reply to microfunguy, Nov 25, 2007

microfunguy wrote:

I will include the language file in the 'official' release tomorrow.

I know this is a bit of a stupid question, but how many people are posting versions of the CHDK files? There must be at least three but I am wondering, more than three?

Which person's version is usually most complete? I lost track of the thread when I got busy with something else (somewhat illegal to mention here in a Canon forum). But I have seen the light and I want to focus on the wonderful world of CHDK once again.

Thanks for allowing me a somewhat dumb post.

Gary Lansing
Regular MemberPosts: 122
Like?
Re: Versions?
In reply to Marty Too, Nov 25, 2007

Marty Too wrote:

I know this is a bit of a stupid question, but how many people are
posting versions of the CHDK files? There must be at least three but
I am wondering, more than three?

Which person's version is usually most complete? I lost track of the
thread when I got busy with something else (somewhat illegal to
mention here in a Canon forum). But I have seen the light and I want
to focus on the wonderful world of CHDK once again.

Thanks for allowing me a somewhat dumb post.

Not dumb at all! I've been trying to follow all of this as closely as possible, from long ago, and it's a massive chaos to which you can find glimpses of order. GrAnd starting the Wikia has tried to help much in that.

I've not followed the Russian forums, so perhaps someone who does might clarify any errors I might type here. The problem here is what you might think defines "complete". There's no such thing. They're ALL complete! Fully functional, do what they say they do, they don't crash, etc. Some just have different features. You just have to pick and choose which features seems more "complete" to you.

Here's what I see-saw:

GrAnd seems to have now been sitting back and helping and watching and providing help for anyone that needs it whenever he can. A well deserved rest and the chance to enjoy the fruits of his (and others') amazing start.

EWAVR/Zosim has been astounding us with some of the most remarkable new features. Providing many features that all of us at one time thought were totally impossible. He still seems to be working off of GrAnd's original design and has not incorporated many features from others (I could be wrong). It could be he needs that platform to work off of so he's not so confused with other's code?

Microfunguy's amazing remake of CHDK with the Stereo Data Maker version seems to be keeping up on all the latest advancements that come from EWAVR/Zosim and also incorporates (I think?) some of the new uBASIC commands that have been coming from Fingalo, as well as some ideas from a few peripheral authors like the LED commands that came to light awhile back.

Fingalo, now here's a guy who has his nose on the pulse of the script writers, and is coming up with some fantastic innovations to make script writing more functional, easy, and allowing for more concise script code. When every line takes 10ms to execute that can be a deal breaker if you need speed in your script, his builds allow that. He's also sometimes borrowing clues from others. He frequently incorporates the latest and greatest ideas from EWAVR/Zosim as soon as able, and sometimes takes someone else's idea and might put his own spin on things to make them more uBASIC friendly, like the LED lights commands.

MX3, we are in his debt forever for his motion-detection routine that astounded us all. It appears he wanted more feedback on how he could improve his motion-detection stuff but I don't think many of us could think how anyone could make it better than he already has! (MX3, if you are reading this, don't feel like you were forgotten, we're still in amazement for what you've already done. ) So he's not been writing much or been involved much lately, but his impact on CHDK has been huge.

So:

If you want the most innovative new things to hit the market, check with EWAVR/Zosim but you may not get some of the latest things from others, example: I don't think his has motion-detection (I test so many things I sometimes don't keep track of who has what). I get his builds in case I want to play with some new "impossible!" feature before others have added it into theirs.

If you want stereo photography tools, check with Microfungy for the most up-to-date that incorporates as much as possible. But many of his uBASIC commands are not available on any other's versions, mostly because they are stereo-photography related commands which that field of photography requires.

If you want a more original CHDK without the stereo-data-maker tools and the very latest advancements from EWAVR/Zosim, as well as some of the more complete uBASIC commands for controlling scripts, then check with Fingalo. (My personal preference are his builds, but only because stereo-imagery is not a strong interest of mine, otherwise I'd jump on Microfunguy's builds as the more "complete" version.)

If you want a new port for some new camera not on any of the previous mentioned author's builds, then you're going to have to keep close tabs on anyone that's working on it.

Is that a good summation?

Gary Lansing
Like?
Re: Initial SD700 port done!
In reply to SteMa, Nov 25, 2007

SteMa wrote:

I have FW 1.00B, and in the faq I saw it was for that, unfortunately
it's not, and I don't see any upgrade on canons site, is there
anything I can do? Should I try it anyway? Can it cause harm to my
ixus800is?

I think it states that it's for SD700 (IXUS800) firmware version 1.01b, not 1.00b. It most likely will NOT work with your camera.

But it also won't hurt to try it. The very worst that can happen is that your camera locks-up and you can't turn it off. Then you just remove the batteries and put them back in (don't remove the SD card while the camera is powered on and locked up). Then delete the CHDK files from your SD card so you don't accidentally load it again.

philip_v
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
In reply to Gary Lansing, Nov 25, 2007

fantastic summary!

i visit the chdk wiki and found a number of scripts there. i am not sure if these will work for the a570 (i will be getting one this christmas). is there a place to look for scripts for the a570? thanks.

harvester
Contributing MemberPosts: 693
Like?

Gary Lansing wrote:

Marty Too wrote:

Which person's version is usually most complete? I lost track of the
thread when I got busy with something else.

Here's what I see-saw:

Yes, very good. Thank you!

I'm on the same boat as Marty... my current version is Grand's last one. After that I checked back to this forum from time to time and saw that cool new things were added to the CHDK from different authors.

That's great, but since there's no more an "offical version" but many different builds, it complicates things (different language files for different builds, the wiki help pages are either outdated on some parts or they grow and grow because you have to say "feature X is in build a, b and c but not in build d, and in build e it works a little bit different..."

Don't get me wrong: it's really great that there are so many people involved in the development with cool new ideas. But I wish there was one "main version" again which incorporates new features (not everything, but things which are interesting for many people) and which the wiki is based upon (language files, help pages).

pitquim
Contributing MemberPosts: 528
Like?
In reply to harvester, Nov 25, 2007

harvester wrote:

But I wish there was one "main version" again which incorporates ... things
which are interesting for many people

in my opinion Fingalo is that version: I have started to use it few days ago. Using the last official version till then.

microfunguy
Regular MemberPosts: 234
Like?
In reply to pitquim, Nov 25, 2007

Gary Lansing wrote:

It is, I was a bit confused !

might put his own spin on things to make them more uBASIC friendly, like the LED lights commands.

The latest SDM includes all of Fingalo's LED commands as well as my own.

pitquim wrote:

in my opinion Fingalo is that version:

The latest SDM includes all the features of Fingalo build 124.

You can see details of all the builds incorporated in the 'Build Info' in miscellaneous menu.

A language file will be available in the official release and many parameters have been moved to new menu item 'Image and Video Capture ->

David

Marty Too
Senior MemberPosts: 1,007
Like?

Gary Lansing wrote:

Marty Too wrote:

So:

If you want the most innovative new things to hit the market, check
with EWAVR/Zosim but you may not get some of the latest things from
others, example: I don't think his has motion-detection (I test so
many things I sometimes don't keep track of who has what). I get his
builds in case I want to play with some new "impossible!" feature
before others have added it into theirs.

If you want stereo photography tools, check with Microfungy for the
most up-to-date that incorporates as much as possible. But many of
his uBASIC commands are not available on any other's versions, mostly
because they are stereo-photography related commands which that field
of photography requires.

If you want a more original CHDK without the stereo-data-maker tools
and the very latest advancements from EWAVR/Zosim, as well as some of
the more complete uBASIC commands for controlling scripts, then check
with Fingalo. (My personal preference are his builds, but only
because stereo-imagery is not a strong interest of mine, otherwise
I'd jump on Microfunguy's builds as the more "complete" version.)

If you want a new port for some new camera not on any of the previous
mentioned author's builds, then you're going to have to keep close
tabs on anyone that's working on it.

Thanks for this. My hat goes off to all who have worked so hard.

Gary Lansing
Like?
In reply to microfunguy, Nov 25, 2007

microfunguy wrote:

Gary Lansing wrote:

It is, I was a bit confused !

Well now I'm even more scared ... if one of the AUTHORS can be confused about all this!

p.s. cool deal in trying to find a way to make a more universal language format/template! Not having to use another language this must be frustrating to so many in the international world that we live now.

p.p.s. Cool deal too on those extra LED commands. Being able to numerically control which one lights up can have some nice script advantages.

p.p.p.s. Ever thought about making an extra SDM-Scripts section at the Wikia? Since any that are specifically for SDM wouldn't be backward compatible with all the unique uBASIC commands you have available. Having a place where others can share theirs or discuss existing ones can increase the interest in using them. A one-way web-page access makes it feel ... well, less accessible. Just like doing stero photography, a bit out of our reach and ambition. Just a thought.

Again, congrats to all the authors, etc. This is so cool!

I'm in awe of those long shutter speeds now. I almost thought of going out tonight to see if that comet is still hanging around and grabbing a shot of its profile. But when I woke up I noticed the moon was full and bright too, putting the fainter portions of its gas envelope out of reach. I've not been even considering doing some shots like that until now. 15 seconds just wasn't going to cut it easily before this (30 seconds is on the border of "possible" with another camera I have). I have to retrain my mind that those kinds of shots are doable again.

(And Harvester, shame on you for not keeping the Wikia authors from getting out of control or not up-to-date in spots! You must have one of those real-lives or something. It's going to be winter -30 F. is common here, with lots of indoor time now, unless I can prevent that on my end, allowing time for more Wikia touch-ups. I noticed some of the Firmware Usage stuff is so old-fashioned compared to what's new now, and so many scripts have been made obsolete with so many features now built right into CHDK itself! Anyone up for high-speed bracketed intervalometer burst shots for intervalometer HDR photography? Just as an example of what's doable now. Or nearly 100%-open-shutter long exposures? Near as good as a Bulb mode. Boggles the mind what's possible now. Whole sections of that "suggestion" page seem like they were written 10 years ago in this short span of time. I'm thinking most of it should be clipped to a "suggestions archive". )

ranocchio
Regular MemberPosts: 103
Like?
Fingalo's built 124
In reply to Clive666, Nov 25, 2007

I use CHDK in my A610 1.00F and I'm very grateful to all of you.
Now I loaded the fingalo's 124, but it doesn't work.

I set in menu "Miscellaneous stuff" up to 65 sec exposure time, but I can only select times up to 15"... (in M, Av or Tv modes).
Where I went wrong?

aeropic
Contributing MemberPosts: 511
Like?
Re: Fingalo's built 124
In reply to ranocchio, Nov 25, 2007

select the 15" time in Tv (for instance), select for instannce a 65" duration in the miscalaneous stuff menu

take a picture and measure the duration ==> you'd get a 65 sec shoot (it overrides the 15" sec duration in the standard menu)

Alain

fingalo
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?

The long exposure time will override what you set in other modes.

So if you set 30sec long time and take a picture in manual mode with 1/8 sec the camera will actually use 30sec!
I can only test on s3is so I can't verify that it will work on your cam.
Anybody else that can verify this camera?

Gary Lansing
Like?

ranocchio wrote:

I use CHDK in my A610 1.00F and I'm very grateful to all of you.
Now I loaded the fingalo's 124, but it doesn't work.
I set in menu "Miscellaneous stuff" up to 65 sec exposure time, but I
can only select times up to 15"... (in M, Av or Tv modes).
Where I went wrong?

Try to download EWAVR's experimental version on the Wikia download page. If his works, then something happened in the translation to Fingalo's build. If EWAVR's version doesn't work (the originator of the long shutter speeds and Tv bracketing), then he's got some minor bugs to work out.

ooops, I now saw what Fingalo wrote, and reread what you wrote. It's true, you'll never see more than 15" displayed in your onscreen options or even in the EXIF data, but that shutter speed will be used for taking the actual photo. Anything shot at 15" or slower will always show 15".

GrAnd
Regular MemberPosts: 325
Like?
SVN repository
In reply to zdravko, Nov 25, 2007

If someone of developers wants to have write permissions to CHDK SVN-repository at assembla.com I can help. Just register on the site and provide me with your login name.

Aleksandr Milewski
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Script access to histogram data?
In reply to GrAnd, Nov 25, 2007

I posted this in the wikia forum, but there doesn't seem to be much life over there.

Is it possible to get access to the histogram data from a script? I'd like to try to create an "Expose to the Right" script. The basic idea of EttR is that no pixel is overexposed, so the script would basically decrease exposure until the rightmost histogram bin hits zero. (or if it's already zero, increase exposure until that bin is non-zero, then back off 1 step)

I've searched around a bit, and I don't see that access to that data exists, but I could have missed it.

If it's not there, is it something that's possible within what CHDK can do?

Thanks, Zandr

PS: is the autoload behavior on the SD card lock in CHDK or the camera code? I wonder if it could be reversed to allow autoloading from an EyeFi (no lock switch)

Aleksandr Milewski
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Set up from Mac?
In reply to Aleksandr Milewski, Nov 26, 2007

What's the secret (besides Parallels) to getting a card set up from a Mac?

If I use the finder or a shell to copy over diskboot.bin and ps.fir, my A640 doesn't see them. If I do the same from Parallels running XP, it works fine.

What's the trick, or is there one?

-Zandr

Gary Lansing
Like?
Dedicated CHDK Forum Just Opened
In reply to zdravko, Nov 26, 2007

I was browsing around the Wikia pages, and in the forum there someone has opened up a forum dedicated specifically for all CHDK authors, users, and their concerns.

If anyone is interested in checking it out it can be found here

http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php

It follows the same format as all the phpBB, PowerBB, and other formats that most of us are used to using. (You know, those kinds where the search feature actually WORKS. )

My only concern would be its longevity, but then is anything on the net ever a guarantee? Anyway, I thought you might like to know. There is now a CHDK forum where sharing information would be much more intuitive and easy than anything we've so far had available (at least in the English side of the world).

microfunguy
Regular MemberPosts: 234
Like?
'StereoData Maker' (SDM) Official Release
In reply to zdravko, Nov 26, 2007

The official release of SDM v1.30 is now available : http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/sdm/index.htm

All the features of Fingalo build 124 are included and, in addition, Fingalo's 'set-led' command should work with most cameras (except A560,A570 and IXUS800), not just the s2is and s3is.
(I will send Fingalo the code changes).

An English language file is provided and Fingalo should check it to make sure he does not use conflicting values.

David

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads