remote for G9, any options ???

Started Nov 10, 2007 | Discussions
Serg Shushyn
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
remote for G9, any options ???
Nov 10, 2007

Hello guys,

I would like to buy G9 for some special work, but I need remote control (shutter release) for this camera.
I know - no remote for G9 in original accesories.

Is any of you have ANY idea how to trigger this baby? in any way = wired or IR/Radio etc...
I'll be glad for any help.

Cheers.
Serg

Serg Shushyn
Like?
Re: remote for G9, any options ???
In reply to Serg Shushyn, Nov 12, 2007

no ideas?
--
Serg Shushyn

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
UCSB
Contributing MemberPosts: 768Gear list
Like?
In reply to Serg Shushyn, Nov 12, 2007

I haven't tried it, but you can use the USB port and supplied software (CameraWindow) to view your planned image, control the camera and take images. This is actually a pretty cool feature. There are no other remote triggering options, but there is a great fully customizable internal self-timer option. Where you can take multiple images at a user selected delay.
--

Bill.

UCSB's gear list:UCSB's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +18 more
Pegashus
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
In reply to Serg Shushyn, Nov 14, 2007

I made myself a CABLE RELEASE, and it cost about $US 10. You will need one old-style cable release (or air type release) from the old SLR film cameras, some cellophane wrap (clingfilm), some putty epoxy ($2.99, aka plumber's epoxy; I like the FASTEEL brand which has steel filings), and one silicone rubber bracelet ($0.99).

First cover the G9 shutter button area with cellophane wrap. I covered most of the camera, so that no epoxy was transferred from my hands to any part of the camera by mistake. The wrap over the shutter area should be tight, but not so much as to depress the shutter button. Smooth it around the zoom ring.

Then mix a bit of the epoxy and quickly wrap the end of the cable release, line the plunger up with the shutter button, leaving a "flange" of epoxy to the right of the button. Hold cable end with the left hand, while stretching the bracelet over the flange on the right, and down over the camera (bracelet will cover the "func set" button and controls). Make sure the power button, zoom ring tip and mode dial are mostly exposed (you can file or sand the epoxy later to clear those controls). Hold in place a couple of minutes; the epoxy sets FAST!

Trim away excess, smooth with file, rotary tool (Dremel) or sandpaper, then paint with black paint. A red bracelet looks really cool. I made a cable release for my Sony DSC-V3 two years ago, and now one for my Canon G9.

imatom
Regular MemberPosts: 134
Like?
In reply to Pegashus, Nov 15, 2007

It's cool.
Please show us your G9 .
--
imatom

Pegashus
Like?
In reply to imatom, Nov 17, 2007

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20966406@N02/2041571472/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20966406@N02/2040775143/

The above two links show my Canon G9 with my homemade remote cable release. Well, it took me two seconds to figure out how I was going to take the photos of my G9/Remote Cable setup: I mounted the G9 exactly as I use it for my regular large group photo, except I put the tripod in the bathroom sink! The G9 is looking at itself in the bathroom mirror, and the image of the cable release has the cable lying on the side of the sink. My son says I should sell some on eBay for $30, but I make a better preacher than I do an entrepreneur. Please follow my directions carefully; I'm not responsible for anyone's mistakes other than my own. Make one of these at your own risk (for me it was minimal). The remote isn't connected to the camera, it's just held on with a silicone rubber bracelet. I've made three of these cable releases, but then I'm careful to cover my cameras with good cellophane wrap (clingfilm) and to not get any of the putty epoxy where it doesn't belong.

Pegashus
Like?
In reply to Serg Shushyn, Nov 17, 2007

Serg,

I used a relatively short cable release, but this idea will also work with an air-operated cable release, which is available on eBay quite cheaply. An air-operated one can extend for several meters.

Serg Shushyn
Like?
In reply to Pegashus, Nov 25, 2007

Thank you guys, but I'm looking for some hitech solution - not mechanical old style trigger.
--
Serg Shushyn

UCSB
Contributing MemberPosts: 768Gear list
Like?
In reply to Serg Shushyn, Nov 25, 2007

Check in the manual for details, the G9 has an extremely flexible custom timer function built into the camera.
--

Bill.

UCSB's gear list:UCSB's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +18 more
Serg Shushyn
Like?
In reply to UCSB, Nov 26, 2007

UCSB wrote:
Check in the manual for details, the G9 has an extremely flexible
custom timer function built into the camera.
--

Bill.

Thank you Bill,
I know about that, but....timer is not a trigger that I need.

I need to put the camera inside the big box and shooting from a distance in any time I need (without computer)
--
Serg Shushyn

jeff perkins
Regular MemberPosts: 302
Like?
In reply to Serg Shushyn, Nov 27, 2007

Hi Serg, I have looked into this for some time without luck. To my knowledge there is no wired or wireless remote for the G9 at this time. What a shame for such a high tech camera! Jeff
--
Jeff Perkins

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads