Remote control via USB!

Started Oct 11, 2007 | Discussions
fingalo
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
Remote control via USB!
Oct 11, 2007

I have put a testfile for the S3is with remote control from USB cable.
It works very well as a remote control via cable.

On url http://hem.passagen.se/fsmmal/chdk2.html you will find the file, the Ubasic script and some simple instructions.

The cable connection can easily be modifed for connectiing an IR control or a wireless RF trigger.(Just some simple HW... :). I will modify my old wireless (radio) I made for my 300D, during next week and make some tests.

itt
itt
Contributing MemberPosts: 590
Like?
Dude that is awesome !
In reply to fingalo, Oct 11, 2007

This is exactly what I was looking for my Pro1.
I hope is compatible with the Pro1, is it ?

My other solution was to wire the IR remote with fiber optic to the camera, but the USB thing should be much more reliable.

Thanks for sharing.

I would use it for this.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gary Lansing
Regular MemberPosts: 122
Like?
Re: Remote control via USB!
In reply to fingalo, Oct 12, 2007

Fingalo, that's MOST excellent! Thank you for sorting out how to do that. Between all the other options of CHDK, and now this? wow. Did you see those lightning photography shots taken with the motion detection too on the Russian forums? It's fast enough even for that.

So now with this remote access by USB, motion detection, scripting, grids, et.al, it's hard to think of anything that anyone else could ever want in a camera!

Thanks!

I haven't tested it yet, but you can be sure I'll be making a small plug that I can just put into the end of any USB extension cable. A little switch and button battery, and turn any USB cable length into a remote release. Since it's just the voltage its detecting there's not even any limit to how far you can run it too. If a long cable run causes too much resistance in the wires, you can just up the voltage by a volt or two without fear. Wonderful work!

Gary Lansing
Like?
In reply to Gary Lansing, Oct 12, 2007

Fingalo, I hope this isn't wrong to post this in this thread, but I was wondering something. In one of your builds you had a set_prop and get_prop command. That was very useful for detecting the condition of the mode dial, flash-modes, white-balance setting, and other things so that scripts would know how to set those options to new conditions from menu press commands. Is there a reason that you no longer include this very useful feature? Did it cause problems with something?

p.s. The only thing missing now from your code would be the LED routines. Those are extremely useful when running and monitoring remote triggering methods like motion-detection, and now when using your new USB remote option.

Thanks again for adding this great USB feature. I just tested it and it works very well. Response time is quite good too! Now, to build my tiny USB cable trigger, I've got just the battery and switch for it, I just don't know what extension cable I want to sacrifice for the plug end.

fingalo
Like?
In reply to Gary Lansing, Oct 12, 2007

Hi Gary,
no problem asking!

Regarding props and led (had an s3 only version) I can include them again. It would be nice if the community could find a way of assembling a standard version, I know stereodatamaker and motion detect maker are doing some effort to assemble a complete version, also GrAnd ismaintaning his builds.

But I can have my testversion on my site and add special features people would like to test. (if I am capable that is...).

itt, sorry but this version only run on S3. The Pro1 is not supported by the CHDK SW additions.

ggarcias2
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?

A must have feature fingalo! as a digiscoping user it would be really useful to have it on my S2 and a630
congratulations and thanks!

Gary Lansing
Like?

fingalo wrote:

Hi Gary,
no problem asking!
Regarding props and led (had an s3 only version) I can include them
again. It would be nice if the community could find a way of
assembling a standard version, I know stereodatamaker and motion
detect maker are doing some effort to assemble a complete version,
also GrAnd is maintaning his builds.
But I can have my test version on my site and add special features
people would like to test. (if I am capable that is...).

I agree about there being some standard version. I still consider GrAnd's builds as the main version. Everyone else has been building on a few extra features to that since then

I didn't know if you would always have your builds available. If so, we could include a section just for your versions in the "Special Builds" on the Wiki. It seemed every time you came up with a new idea, GrAnd would include it in his versions so there was no need to do this in the past. He's not released an update to his versions for awhile so it's hard to say what he will include in the next one or not, or if he has intentions to do so. Plus he's done so much already, I don't want to ask him. That's like poking the Main Guru for a favor.

I'd be more than happy to do a little listing of your versions on the Wiki Special Builds section, if you want, that might be the easiest way. Your extra uBASIC commands always seem to be nice additions to make scripting even more compact and flexible. If you can include an "advanced" build with the get_prop and set_prop (and LED commands? ) for those who need a little more scripting control. Those commands could be included as a sub-section of the scripting tutorial too, just like MX3's motion-detection was added as a sub-section. (It was nice to see him take the time to add some extra information to that.) I already made an english text-only version of the known property values from the Russian page, for your get_prop/set_prop commands for my own reference, it would be easy to add that list to the commands and syntax information.

I've not used the get_prop and set_prop commands in any scripts other than the one you already used for demo, just tested it once or twice but could clearly see how valuable it would be. So if you know of any advice of when to NOT use them or if they might cause problems, your experience with those would be valuable. I'm afraid to use them actually. Because of your original "Use with Caution!" information when you wrote those. I mean, you can actually control things like the flash mode, custom colors, image resolution, even video fps and everything like that just from simple set_prop script commands?? Sounds too good to be true! And dangerous. Plus it would take a bit of work to find all the default values for all those specific properties. It might make a nice winter project.

Again, thanks for the neat new features! (And thanks to that person who first coded the USB access from that Russian page, I saved it for reference, perhaps a link for that should be added to the Wiki too?)

fingalo
Like?
In reply to Gary Lansing, Oct 13, 2007

Thanks for your help in bringing order to the information!

I have updated the testbuilds I publish on http://hem.passagen.se/fsmmal/chdk2.html . I have added USB remote control for the a630, a640, a610, a620 cameras based on the the original information published in CHDK thread. Also added some additional functions that has been requested.

Gary Lansing
Like?
In reply to fingalo, Oct 13, 2007

fingalo wrote:

Thanks for your help in bringing order to the information!
I have updated the testbuilds I publish on
http://hem.passagen.se/fsmmal/chdk2.html . I have added USB remote
control for the a630, a640, a610, a620 cameras based on the the
original information published in CHDK thread. Also added some
additional functions that has been requested.

Wow! You've been a busy boy! I just got in from an all day's outting (with camera, fishing pole, and bike, only caught one 3lb bass, and a strange northern pike with the head of a 4 lb pike and the body of a 1 lb pike. most strange looking, I got its photo before letting it go, reminded me of one of those huge-jawed deep-sea fish). Just now read all the new things you added, PLUS adding the USB remote stuff to all those other camera models! Fantastic! I hope people will test them. I was under the impression you could only do that to the S3 so far. Folks will be having orgasms once they know they can now use a simple cable-release with their cameras. A cable of any length too. Think of all the research applications too, using simple circuits to trigger photos. Like every time a mouse presses a switch take his picture. You can test a mouse's vanity level.

I really like the way you did the LED commands. With numeric arguments then it's easy to set them using calculations in scripts if needed! NEAT! And who would have thought that the blue LED could have brightness levels. Cool. That one could be ramped up and down with a for-to-next loop like a beacon for special signaling purposes, like a police car's light.

I'll try to figure out a way to assemble your special uBASIC and script commands into the Wiki tutorial. Not quite sure how I'll do that yet. Maybe make 2 sections, one for Microfunguy's versions, and another section for your versions. That way they'll all be in one place with all the foundation commands from GrAnd's main version too.

btw: I forgot to mention how much I like your adding the "step" command in for/to/next. I sorely missed having that. How easy it will be to set focusing, timing, etc. increments that way.

param d near focus
param e far focus
param f focus increment

for x = d to e step f
set_focus x
shoot
next

NEAT STUFF!! I have my Wiki-work cut out for me now. I'll see what I can do over the weekend.

Wonderful new additions!! I send out a huge thanks from everyone, in case they don't speak up. Great stuff fingalo!!

jose42
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
In reply to fingalo, Oct 13, 2007

Hi Fingalo, thanks a lot.

It works fine with the A620.
I´ve used the script of your page.
Then included as a file ¨remote control.bas¨into the CHDK folder of the SD card.

Now I will prepare the hardware to make it practical.

Best personal regards, Jose

fingalo
Like?
In reply to jose42, Oct 13, 2007
phot
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to Gary Lansing, Oct 26, 2007

I have added the USB remote commands to my S2. It is basically the same as the S3. You only have to make 2 changes in 'kbd.c' file of the S2is. The changes are:
Add the following line at the end of

void my_kbd_read_keys_cont(long canon_key_state)
{
usb_power=(physw_status[2] & USB_MASK)==USB_MASK;
}

And add

1. define USB_MASK (8)

somewhere at the top.

I have not tested it extensively but I can not see ant reason why it should stop working. One thing that surprised me is that the camera switches to view mode as soon as you give it power. I suppose this is the same on all cameras.

Fingalo would you be so nice as to add this to your code? I would not like to create another distrubution.

Phot

fingalo
Like?
In reply to phot, Oct 26, 2007

Hi phot,
that's excellent!
I will add this to the builds.
Thanks!

P Jackson
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
In reply to fingalo, Nov 4, 2007

EWAVR/Zosim

Thanks for the remote control release!

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:THANKS

Microfunguy allowed me the honor of testing his alpha versions of SDM. With your remote control release we can now activate two or more cameras simultaneosly..

I have a request for another quantum leap. Can you add a script command so that one camera could also send a signal by USB to another camera. Then, one camera could 'talk' to another camera and the other camera could respond. I am sure that Microfunguy would incorporate this into his SDM build. This would really help the 3D Stereo photography technology. We could also synchonize the cameras with this signal.

My email is futurespanish2@yahoo.com

-- hide signature --

In Depth

DRadcliff
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
In reply to phot, Nov 6, 2007

phot wrote:

I have added the USB remote commands to my S2. It is basically the
same as the S3. You only have to make 2 changes in 'kbd.c' file of
the S2is. The changes are:
Add the following line at the end of

void my_kbd_read_keys_cont(long canon_key_state)
{
usb_power=(physw_status[2] & USB_MASK)==USB_MASK;
}

And add

1. define USB_MASK (8)

somewhere at the top.

I have not tested it extensively but I can not see ant reason why it
should stop working. One thing that surprised me is that the camera
switches to view mode as soon as you give it power. I suppose this is
the same on all cameras.

Fingalo would you be so nice as to add this to your code? I would not
like to create another distrubution.

Phot

Does anyone have a build with this incorporated? I didn't see it anywhere on the wiki.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads