Sean Nelson
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,419
Like?
Re: CHDK firmware installation problems
In reply to Tourenfahrer, Sep 15, 2007

Tourenfahrer wrote:

I have problems with installing CHDK on my 710IS and do not know
where to find help.

Have you made sure that the camera is in "playback" mode when you turn the power on?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rossig
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?
Re: Digic III news...
In reply to GrAnd, Sep 15, 2007

How can I get a firmware dump from my a570 ?

There is an howto for the circuit board and decoder ?

thanks for develop chdk !!!!!

Vit40
Regular MemberPosts: 269
Like?
Another A620 color matrix
In reply to rossig, Sep 15, 2007

After making a color matrix for A620, calibrated to be similar to calibration for 400D from Adobe, I decided to also make a matrix which would return similar colors as jpeg produced by A620. So here it is:

DngSetMatrix %1 P 0.661 0.290 0.482 0.300 0.825 1.000 0.106 -0.066 -0.144

Make a batch file with this line and apply it to your dng-s or DNG4PS header file, as described before. DngSetMatrix can be downloaded from the link at the beginning of CHDK firmware hack discussion (14) topic

It's not so close match as version "A620_D17" to Adobe calibration for 400D, because it seems that A620 does conversion from sensor's color space to sRGB via lookup-table profile, where you can convert any color to any other color, but colors are usually similar. Main differences between jpeg color rendition and this calibration are

• yellow is more saturated in jpeg (unfortunately, many times really too much)

• cyan is desaturated in jpeg, with hue increased 10-15 degrees, to prevent ugly cyan looking sky or clouds (quite common in other manufacturers' digicams, at least older ones), when blue channel reach saturation limit. Iit's not possible to do it here. ACR is quite dumb when recovering highlights and will return sky/clouds with wrong hue where blue channel is blown. In that case, use HSL tab (version 4.x only), move Hue - Aquas slider to the right and Saturation - Aquas to the left

• blue is more saturated in jpeg, to make the sky more attractive (because of this, shadows are many times too saturated, especially on the snow, in mountains etc). If you want sky color to be more intensive, use HSL tab and move Saturation - Blues slider to the right as much as you want; you can also move Luminance - Blues slider to the left to make the sky darker

dmforcier
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
In reply to rossig, Sep 15, 2007

rossig wrote:

How can I get a firmware dump from my a570 ?

There is an howto for the circuit board and decoder ?

http://grandag.nm.ru/hdk/

Look at the blinker/ and dumper/ directories.

Tourenfahrer
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
In reply to Sean Nelson, Sep 15, 2007

Hi Sean,

Sean Nelson wrote:

Tourenfahrer wrote:

I have problems with installing CHDK on my 710IS and do not know
where to find help.

Have you made sure that the camera is in "playback" mode when you
turn the power on?

Yes I did.
I played around also with this option.

I have to switch on the 710IS, otherwise the Firmware-Update-Option is not available anyhow.

bye Martin

Sean Nelson
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,419
Like?
In reply to Tourenfahrer, Sep 15, 2007

Tourenfahrer wrote:

I have to switch on the 710IS, otherwise the Firmware-Update-Option
is not available anyhow.

Are you saying that you actually saw then Firmware Update Option on the menu and selected it, but that nothing happened? Were there any messages?

rossig
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?
In reply to dmforcier, Sep 15, 2007

Thanks...

Dave Ingols
Regular MemberPosts: 258
Like?
Re: Progress on motion detection?
In reply to mx3, Sep 16, 2007

MX3, first off thank you SO much for providing this. I noticed by some comments in your source code that you have doubts on the usefulness of some of your features. I'd like to comment on them below.

mx3 wrote:

pixel_measure_mode, input parameter.
1 - for Y,
2 for U,
3 for V,
4 for gray,
5 for R, -
6 for G,
7 for B

YES! Please leave these in. There will be times where this could be extremely helpful for scientific research. As well as when using it more simply for a red laser light for triggering remote operation. It will help with trying to differentiate between different light sources for so many things, or when trying to record or analyze different motion or migration patterns in a wide variety of subjects, from micro to infinite. Take for example waiting for a time-lapse event of an opening flower. The green foliage's small motions shouldn't trigger a photo, but any detectable differences in the shape and size of a red or blue blossom should trigger an event. Here's another interesting possibility. What if you used different colors of LED lamps (or laser lights) to trigger different actions? Blue for zoom in, green for zoom out, red for shoot, etc. There's so many possibilities with this feature.

clipping. allows to exclude some region from mtion detection
triggering
or use onli selected area to make motion detection
I'm not sure that following parameters are required but using them
anyway

clipping_region_mode, input parameter.
0 no clipping regions
1 - for excluding selected region from motion detection
2 - use this only region to make motion detection
clipping_region_column1, input parameter.
clipping_region_row1, input parameter.
this is top-left corner of clipping region

clipping_region_column2, input parameter.
clipping_region_row2, input parameter.
this is right bottom corner of clipping region

)

Yes, please leave these clipping options available in any future versions. This is very useful. Everything you have thought of so far is very beneficial to any motion detection scripts. A well thought-out motion detection method was incorporated in Cam4You Remote software for Canon cameras. It has this feature to enable and disable various regions in the field of view. Your method is very similar and just as useful.

I'm of the mindset that the more options available then the more creative ways they can be used. While you may see little need for some of those features and have doubts about their usefulness I already see some great uses for them. So yes, please do keep them.

Again, thanks for providing such a wonderful addition to the already fantastic CHDK!

RogerioBF
Forum MemberPosts: 61
Like?
710 raw & My colours
In reply to Marty Too, Sep 16, 2007

Do My Colours control affect raw files taken under the hack on the A710 IS or just the processed jpegs? In the other hand, do selecting auto, on or off noise reduction on raw files affect also the jpegs? Thanx for your attention...
--
RogerioBF

Dave Ingols
Like?
Re: 710 raw & My colours
In reply to RogerioBF, Sep 16, 2007

No camera settings other than shutter speed and f/stop will effect the RAW file. Not even using digital zoom -- your JPG file will be zoomed-in digitally but the RAW file will be as if no digital zoom was applied. This is the meaning of RAW, the raw sensor data before any other manipulations are applied to it. This too is sometimes why people find it of great benefit. While you may like some custom settings for your JPG files, later you may find out that it wasn't quite what you had hoped for. If you had saved a RAW file you can always go back and redo it as if that custom option was never applied. You can't undo the effect after it is applied to the JPG file without losing further image information. Just as you can't reclaim the image outside of your digitally zoomed image in JPG format, but it's still safe in the RAW file.

RogerioBF
Forum MemberPosts: 61
Like?
In reply to Dave Ingols, Sep 16, 2007

Thanx for your attention...

and what about raw settings on the hack, would you recommend setting NR to auto, on or off for better results with 80/100 iso? and 200/400 iso?
--
RogerioBF

Dave Ingols
Like?

RogerioBF wrote:

In the other hand, do selecting
auto, on or off noise reduction on raw files affect also the jpegs?

http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK/HDK_firmware_usage#RAW_parameters_menu

Dave Ingols
Like?

RogerioBF wrote:

Thanx for your attention...
and what about raw settings on the hack, would you recommend setting
NR to auto, on or off for better results with 80/100 iso? and 200/400
iso?

The noise reduction routine that you are wondering about has nothing to do with ISO noise visible at all shutter speeds. It is a method called "dark frame subtraction" that is used only on shutter speeds longer than 1 second to remove background noise that exists in the sensor at all times. The noise you are thinking of will be more visible at high ISO's no matter what shutter speed you use. If you use your own dark-frame subtraction routines in post-processing then you don't need it. If you don't know what that is, leave it on Auto, unless you have a specific need to turn it off. If you are plagued with hot or warm pixels, then set it to always ON for all shutter speeds. It will map out defective pixels for every shot no matter the shutter speed. But not without some sacrifice, it requires a short processing delay dependent on your selected shutter speed. 2 exposures are taken, normal and one with the shutter closed, then the dark-frame noise is subtracted from the image and its noise.

Tourenfahrer
Like?
In reply to Sean Nelson, Sep 16, 2007

Hi Sean,

Sean Nelson wrote:

Tourenfahrer wrote:

I have to switch on the 710IS, otherwise the Firmware-Update-Option
is not available anyhow.

Are you saying that you actually saw then Firmware Update Option on
the menu and selected it, but that nothing happened? Were there any
messages?

Yes, I saw the option and selected it, but got "Update File Error!!!" as result.

I doublechecked the downloaded file, I used an older version (144), I double checked the uncompression of the file (I use WinRAR), I used another SD card and I even switched from German language setting to English, but the result is always the same.

Is there any incompatibility with 2 GB cards (SanDiSK Extreme III) or with German European Firmware ?

I saw, when checking the Firmware, that after the line indicating the firmware, there was a line with "E18" but I have no idea if this is important or not.

bye Martin

aesmith
Regular MemberPosts: 239
Like?
In reply to Tourenfahrer, Sep 16, 2007

Hi,

I don't know how much help this is, but I have an A710IS and the firmware loads OK for me. I used Winzip to unpack the file, and I am using version 148 (pre14-a710-100a-148.zip)

What more info do you need?

Tony S

Tourenfahrer
Like?
In reply to aesmith, Sep 16, 2007

Hi Anthony,

aesmith wrote:

Hi,

I don't know how much help this is, but I have an A710IS and the
firmware loads OK for me. I used Winzip to unpack the file, and I am
using version 148 (pre14-a710-100a-148.zip)

What more info do you need?

Tony S

Hm, can you do me a favor please ?

I want to eliminate potential causes for the problem. Can you please send me, as uncompressed attachment, the binaries that are working at your digicam ?

if this one would work at my cam, then I can eliminate SD card and camera as root causes, otherwise the problem is somewhere in download/uncompress process.

my email address is martin.roesler[at]web.de

Thanks in advance
Martin

aesmith
Like?

Tourenfahrer wrote:

Hi Anthony,
... Can you please send me, as uncompressed attachment, the binaries
that are working at your digicam ?

They're on the way to you now. I copied the files off the actual SD card in the camera.

Tony

aesmith
Like?

Checking firmware version, mine displays ...
---------------------------------------------
Canon PowerShot A710 IS
P-ID:3138 PAL

Firmware Ver GM1.00A
No error

June 29 2006 13:26:27

Just to make sure, I took the old 16MB card that came with the camera, and reformatted it in the camera. Then I copied those two binaries onto the card. It works for me.

Tony S

Tourenfahrer
Like?

Hi Tony,

aesmith wrote:

Checking firmware version, mine displays ...
Canon PowerShot A710 IS

Firmware Ver GM1.00A
No error

June 29 2006 13:26:27

This helps a lot.
mine looks like this:
Canon PowerShot A710 IS

Firmware Ver GM1.00A
E18

June 20 2006 13:26:27

So my firmware

• seems to be 9 days older

• indicates an E18 (here yours say no error, so I assume an Error with my firmware)

Any idea what the E18 stands for ?

bye Martin

aesmith
Like?

My silly mistake, I'm afraid. It is June 20 on mine as well.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads