Just a lazy sunset

Started Jun 29, 2007 | Discussions
lem7
Regular MemberPosts: 412
Like?
Just a lazy sunset
Jun 29, 2007

I took this on Sanibel Island 2 weeks back. I am finally getting out from under a lot of work and am able to post.

Please let me know what you think.

Lem7

Cesman
Regular MemberPosts: 151
Like?
Re: Just a lazy sunset
In reply to lem7, Jun 29, 2007

Very nice, But there is a small dark spot on the top left corner.
It's not my screen so... you need to clean your lens or camera.

Cesar

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lem7
Like?
Thanks
In reply to Cesman, Jun 29, 2007

But i think that is a bird in flight. It was a longer exposure on a tripod.
Lem7

Bob Myers1
Forum ProPosts: 21,127
Like?
Very nice !!! (nt)
-- hide signature --

Bob Myers WB7SBW
Sonolta 7D Lens 28-100mm 28-300 Tamron 170-500 Sigma 10-20 Sigma
2 - Olympus C21oo 2 - B3oo 1 - B-Macro

mlblum
Contributing MemberPosts: 562
Like?
Re: Very nice !!! (nt)
In reply to Bob Myers1, Jun 29, 2007

Looks like long telephoto. What lens did you use? Nice shot. Michael

eossatan
Regular MemberPosts: 348
Like?
Re: Thanks

lem7 wrote:

But i think that is a bird in flight. It was a longer exposure on
a tripod.
Lem7

Ha ha.. I don't think they are birds... given that it was tripod taken. Best to give the sensor-filter a clean IMHO.

Schwany
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,733Gear list
Like?
Do you see what I see

Neat sunset.

I'll cut to the chase. I see 3 hot pixels. A White one just left of center frame and two more to the left of it. Might be that they crop up on longer exposures.

Schwany's gear list:Schwany's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM +14 more
Maxxuman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,499
Like?
Re: Do you see what I see
In reply to Schwany, Jun 29, 2007

It really is a nice sunset - well exposed for the sun and the composition draws your eye towards it. But I also see the hot pixels (which as suggested may only occur during long exposures) and several dust spots - at least 5. I've had enough dust spots on my sensor to recognise them, and a flying bird during a long exposure wouldn't look like the most obvious spot does. Sorry.
--
Barry

john farrar
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,038Gear list
Like?
In reply to Maxxuman, Jun 29, 2007

Hi, Lem 7.

I think that's a really nice shot with the setting sun disk exposed well and at a decent size for the composition. Don't worry about the pixel-peepers, they really ought to get out and about taking photographs rather more
Minoltas are great for sunset skies aren't they!

Schwany
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,733Gear list
Like?
Pixel peepers
In reply to john farrar, Jun 29, 2007

I was trying to help actually. Those three pixels would be easy to fix. Just wanted to point them out to the OP. Always being namby pamby about comments doesn't really help anyone.

I thought pixel peeping was down loading an image and then blowing it up to like 400% and digging around. I can see them without peeping, and I never download images. I have enough of my own to deal with.

Schwany's gear list:Schwany's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM +14 more
Maxxuman
Like?

john farrar wrote:
Don't worry about

the pixel-peepers, they really ought to get out and about taking
photographs rather more

Mate, I'm certainly not a pixel peeper (by Shwany's definition, with which I concur). In fact it's getting out and taking lots of photos with a variety of lenses that has led to me having to deal with dust on my sensor, such as the obvious dust spot in this shot. It's not that difficult to get rid of once you know what you're doing and it's better to do so than having spots all over your best shots.
--
Barry

john farrar
Like?
Re: Pixel peepers

It's not as if people are taking photos of the inside of lenscaps and looking for hidden messages in the noise, kind of like reading the tea leaves

Even I will clean my sensor from time to time, and I still havent got over the price of a pack of wet cleaning swabs and a microscopic bottle of cleaning fluid. Still, nothing else would shift one particularly stubborn item of oily crud. (Bad idea changing lenses on a windy beach.)

lem7
Like?
Thanks for the feed back - how do I correct these issues?

I really freak out when cleaning the camera. Is there a description on how to correct these problems?

Thanks for all the great comments. I have a few more to post over the next week. I took ~ 400+ shots while I was on vacation. IT WAS FUN!

Lem7

john farrar
Like?
Re: Thanks for the feed back - how do I correct these issues?

To clean the sensor glass cover, use the camera menu to set it up first.

Then use one of those inexpensive blower bulb devices that you can get from a camera store. If that doesn't shift the dust then you can use a sensor cleaning pen or a wet swab system - again from a camera store. It isn't that difficult to do, just needs light steady pressure wiping one way, turning the swab over and then back the other way.

Hot pixels can be remapped by getting software or asking the camera maker to do it for you. I also recall seeing somewhere that Adobe Camera Raw abotomatically maps out hot or dead pixels.

Maxxuman
Like?

I got the wet/dry kit from copperhillimages.com (and I don't have any affilliation with them). It gives you options for cleaning your sensor and plenty of instructions, and includes a "sensor sweep" brush which is a lot cheaper than the Visible Dust one. As John said, the first thing to try is blowing the dust off with a rocket blower. If that doesn't work I use the sensor sweep. I've had to do that on about 5 occasions since I got the kit and haven't had to do a wet clean yet, as the brush has always got the job done (the last time I had to try it several times before it got the last of the dust spots).
--
Barry

Cesman
Regular MemberPosts: 151
Like?
In reply to lem7, Jun 30, 2007

Lem7,

To find out if that is dirt or not, try to take a picture of a white wall with two different lens. If the spot is on the same location then it the CCD that needs cleaning.

I clean mine with brush (soft artist brush) and can of air. I don't use the air directly to the CCD. What I do is spray the brush with air in the can to activate static, then use the the brush to clean the CCD. Since the brush is charge the dust will cling to the brush instead. And no.. the charge will not harm your CCD.

Caution: MAKE SURE YOUR BATTERY IS FULLY CHARGE BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT TO CLEAN YOUR CCD.

Another solution is leave the dirt and just PP all your Pictures.

But it will sum it all to what ever your comfortable of doing. You can also take it to a camera store and they might be able to clean it for you... for a fee of course.

Regards
Cesar

lem7 wrote:

I really freak out when cleaning the camera. Is there a
description on how to correct these problems?

Thanks for all the great comments. I have a few more to post over
the next week. I took ~ 400+ shots while I was on vacation. IT
WAS FUN!

Lem7

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads