D200 underexpose in low light problem?

Started May 8, 2007 | Discussions
ddt332
Contributing MemberPosts: 742
Like?
D200 underexpose in low light problem?
May 8, 2007

I own a D200 and a D40. My D40 always over-expose, however when I set its exposure compensation to -0.7, it works just fine in most cases. On the other hands, my new D200 can normally give me near perfect exposure outdoor, but indoor at low light it is seriously under-exposed, normally I have to compensate +1.0 EV. It works the same with my SB400 TTL, still need +1.0 EV with SB400 flash.

I wonder is this normal or just me? Any comments here, please?

Randy Z
Senior MemberPosts: 2,526
Like?
Re: D200 underexpose in low light problem?
In reply to ddt332, May 8, 2007

Every photo you make is different. They have different values of light and dark, and different amounts. ANY meter, despite all the marketing hype, is just a suggestion. You learn that your camera meter on-average will behave in a certain way, and then you make adjustments. That's why you didn't buy a point and shoot.

Yes, the D200 meter is biased toward slight underexposure to save highlights. You can use your exposure comp (which for most is a constant fact of life in photography), or you can set the camera to invisibly always bump up a half stop or whatever you set it to (I can't remember what this is called in the manual) if you wish.
--
Z-Man

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ddt332
Like?
Thanks for the comments!
In reply to Randy Z, May 8, 2007

Thanks for the comments!

Jeff Klofft
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,533
Like?
I have mine set to +1/6 all the time
In reply to Randy Z, May 8, 2007
-- hide signature --

Jeff

Check out my gallery at http://www.jkphotogallery.com

Keith Helms
Regular MemberPosts: 124
Like?
Re: D200 underexpose in low light problem?

It depends on what effect you're after. I was in Carlsbad Caverns last week and I had to set exposure compensation to between -1 and -2 for a lot of the shots. If I didn't, the camera tried to increase the exposure to compensate for all the dark rock around the spotlighted areas. Then the spotlighted areas ended up getting blown out.

Mario
Senior MemberPosts: 2,648
Like?
Learn how cameras meter a scene...

and you will understand why it happens and you'll be able to predict exactly when it will happen.

If you have very reflective surfaces in the scene, they might not look bright, but when you shine light on them with flash, they reflect a good potion of the light back. Camera actually fires pre-flashes to meter exposure and what it sees is a very bright area in the scene, and hence compensates exposure to avoid blowing it out. The bigger the area the bigger the "underexposure" of what you may think of as main subject.

So, learn to recognize luminance values of stuff in the scene and you will meter better than a camera.

-- hide signature --

Mario

eolian
Regular MemberPosts: 268
Like?
Re: I have mine set to +1/6 all the time
In reply to Jeff Klofft, May 8, 2007

Jeff Klofft wrote:
--
Jeff

Check out my gallery at http://www.jkphotogallery.com

How do I do this?

-- hide signature --
Clark Hampton
Senior MemberPosts: 2,856Gear list
Like?
mine is the same but...

in underexposes but I don't see it as a problem. I compensate for it. WIth flash however I get dead on exposures

-- hide signature --

Clark Hampton's gear list:Clark Hampton's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D200 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +4 more
Koanut
Contributing MemberPosts: 708
Like?
Re: mine is the same but...
In reply to Clark Hampton, May 8, 2007

Also, learn to use your histogram in setting exsposure...
--
'Once in a while, you get shown the light
in the strangest of places if you look at it right...'
WSSA Member #80

ddt332
Like?
Re: mine is the same but...
In reply to Koanut, May 9, 2007

Hi:

I check the histogram after every shot I took. However my point was IF this is a popular problem for D200, Nikon should easily adjust it, right? My D40, for example, does an amazing job as long as you set your EC to -0.7. It is very consistant in different situation.

Koanut wrote:

Also, learn to use your histogram in setting exsposure...
--
'Once in a while, you get shown the light
in the strangest of places if you look at it right...'
WSSA Member #80

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads