B9180 Black inks rubs off glossy HP Paper

Started Mar 24, 2007 | Discussions
crooks
Regular MemberPosts: 307
Like?
B9180 Black inks rubs off glossy HP Paper
Mar 24, 2007

I just got a B9180. Having the printhead status showing fair on a couple of heads and noticed some streaking on the test page color bars along with roller marks on the back of paper. So far, printer is not looking too good.

I was looking at the test print page real close and noticed the black ink was smeared by my hand. Just for a test, I rubbed my finger over it, it smeared the black ink. I then tried my fingernail. The black ink scrapped completely off. The other colors did not even show a scratch with the same test.

What is going on, this seems way to fragile. And the test page was 24 hours old.

Frag
Senior MemberPosts: 1,219
Like?
Re: B9180 Black inks rubs off glossy HP Paper
In reply to crooks, Mar 24, 2007

Having print heads show fair at first is not uncommon. What would be uncommon is for the ink to rub off. Were you using the HP Advanced Glossy that came with the printer?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
goodpics
Contributing MemberPosts: 689
Like?
Did You?
In reply to Frag, Mar 24, 2007

Did you shake the tanks six to eight times before you inserted them.

brettw
Regular MemberPosts: 133
Like?

My guess would be that it used the matte black ink. Did it look funny or was it glossy looking? The matte black ink doesn't take too well to glossy paper, so check that you didn't have the wrong paper selected and didn't put the inks in the wrong slots.

Brett

crooks
Like?
In reply to brettw, Mar 24, 2007

Checked- all cartridges in correct slots and Advanced HP Glossy paper. No one else with the same issue on Photo Black?

jfh1945
Regular MemberPosts: 272Gear list
Like?
Re: Somethings wrong--

My test / calibration prints on HP Advanced Glossy were flawless, and I have no trouble using Kirkland 'Professional Glossy Inkjet' (new glossy) with the HP Advanced profiles as well.

The prints come out nearly dry. If you have enough HP paper, try another calibration cycle.

Jim H.

-- hide signature --

cameras are almost as much fun as firearms.

jfh1945's gear list:jfh1945's gear list
Olympus XZ-1
colourgeek
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,571
Like?

Matte black will definately come off with even a light touch on glossy media. Still on satin it will come off but has just slightly more adherance on satin over glossy.
The calibration uses this black on the Z printers, and it does this.

Did you perhaps mix up the cartridges the pK and the mK in the ink wells?
You are using ceramic instant dry media, not Premium Plus?

-- hide signature --

Neil Snape photographer Paris http://www.neilsnape.com

crooks
Like?
In reply to colourgeek, Mar 24, 2007

All inks in right slot, HP Advanced Glossy Paper. This is the test page not a photo. They looked ok. But nothing on photos are a pure black.

So it seems either a bad batch of Photo paper from HP, a batch of bad ink or just the way test page works. As noted, this is only problem with black photo ink. The rest don't smear.

Can someone do a test on same HP Advanced Glossy paper and rub their black ink? I went to CompUsa and they had a B9180 with regular copy paper. It did not smear, but I thought the test page was to be done on HP Glossy. Perhaps not.

I will be out of town for about about a week and see if ink bonds to paper. FWIW, in Colorado and not humid environment.

Ahto Tanner
Regular MemberPosts: 428
Like?
Same problem
In reply to crooks, Aug 8, 2007

Got this printer a few days ago and discovered the same. Black ink rubs off easily, basically smears off completely from "Test Page" on bundled HP Advanced Photo Paper. I printed more than 12 hours ago but it comes off like fresh ink.

Perhaps the built-in Test Page is not intended to be printed on glossy paper but on plain paper? When printing a photo with black frame, there seem to be no excessive smearing.

Tom Monego
Senior MemberPosts: 2,944
Like?
In reply to crooks, Aug 8, 2007

My Hp B9180 prints 20 or so prints a day on Advanced Glossy (nice to be able to buy 100 sheet boxes) no problems with rubbing off. They come off the printer and into a medical record. If there was rubbing I would hear about it.
Are you using Premium Plus Glossy? Do you have your driver set to a matte paper?

Tom

Ahto Tanner
Regular MemberPosts: 428
Like?
In reply to Tom Monego, Aug 9, 2007

We are talking about test print that comes directly from the printer (in printer menu select Print Test Page). Print it on Advanced Photo Paper and see for yourself.

Tom Monego
Like?
In reply to Ahto Tanner, Aug 9, 2007

Just did a test print, no rub off even with the matte black patches. I'd call HP.

Tom

Tom Monego
Like?
update
In reply to Tom Monego, Aug 9, 2007

Interesting update. When I took the print off the printer I checked the color patches, as this has been my experience with inkjet printing, 7 years worth. The paptches didn't smudge, generally where the most ink is is where the print will smudge. I picked the print up to throw it out and the text on the print smudged, the patches still don't. In real life situations, I probably have close to 1000 prints out of the printer, this hasn't been a problem. These prints are going into medical records and I would hear about any smudging. But I came back from lunch and the text still smears. May have to join the yahoo B9180 group and see what they say. Has anybody brought this up with HP?

Tom

Tom Monego
Like?
Update II
In reply to Tom Monego, Aug 10, 2007

The ink is still smearing on the sample print from the printer. But the prints I have done here aren't, maybe it is the light ink laydown that just doesn't enter the paper, I print max resolution off of one work station and best off another. Much slower printing so maybe more time for the inks to absorb.

Also the other photographer in the lab can't get the print to smear as badly as I can, ?body chemistry?

Tom

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads