Downloading pictures to picasa

Started Mar 16, 2007 | Discussions
Greg in VT
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Downloading pictures to picasa
Mar 16, 2007

I am trying so hard to figure out why I am having a hard time downloading to Picasa. What happens is when I go to the import option to download my pics all of these strange pics come up almost like advertisements. .sometimes as many as 200. Other times....NOTHING! no pics or anything download at all. I went out and purchased a new card reader but got nothing yet again. I have a new baby on the way so I would love to take pics of the progression of the pregnancy, etc... and be able to send them to family. So, I am beggin for some help or suggestions....thanks.

eaglesprey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,150
Like?
Re: Downloading pictures to picasa
In reply to Greg in VT, Mar 16, 2007

That sounds screwy. No problems hooking up my H5 and reading into Picassa directly.

I just didn't like how long it took and lack of control.(tries to think for you too much, especially if you have not changed the preferences)

So I also bought a card reader(San Disk Extreme USB) and if you go to 'My Computer' you will see it as a removable drive (my case it's 'L:').

Now I just double-click the drive 'L', go to the DCIM subfolder where you will see all of your pics listed.

Now just select the ones you want (or All) and drag them to a folder of your choosing(or create a new one).

Now if you organize all of you're picture subfolders under say the 'My Documents/Pictures' folder, just point to that in Picassa's preference's as your default pic location. Picassa should now display all you're pics grouped by 'your' defined folders on the left and your actual pics on the right(hopefully)

I find the files load 'much' faster and I know exactly where there going this way. Then PP to your hearts delight! It's not a bad little program, quick and easy I must say.

Hope this helps.
--
Rudy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Matthew Tribble
Regular MemberPosts: 172
Like?
Picasa - free web gallery
In reply to eaglesprey, Mar 16, 2007

I am not sure if the Picasa2 I have downloaded is the same as your version but here is my opinion. Personally, I don't trust anything but a manual "drag and drop" from a card reader or the usb lead to get pictures from my cameras. You should be able to simply plug in the usb lead, access the camera card via "my computer" and drag them to where you want to store them. Then make picasa refresh it's file list to find them.

Also, try another photo viewer / editor like Irfanview and see if that's any easier to use>
http://www.irfanview.com/

Anyway, if you do manage to get picasa working then maybe you would like to know how to get your photos from picasa2 to here. This is how I did it.

I opened up a free Google mail account and after signing up, it told me I could get a free web gallery as well if I downloaded Picasa2.

After downloading Picasa2 and letting it search my hard drive for all my pictures, I then followed google mail's instructions on how to upload some pictures into a web gallery.(using my google mail password to log into the gallery site) So far so good.
To get a picture on your post follow this method.

While viewing the picture you want on-line, click on "link to photo". Next click "select size" and select "Large 800px". Then right click on the text in box of "html to embed in website" and select copy, and then paste that link into your post which will look something like this>

Do not try to preview it yet! First, you must delete everything before http://lh6.google ; and also delete every thing after the last .jpg
This leaves you with the link to your image. Now you can use the preview button.

Try it! I hope it works for you and I hope to see some of your favorite images soon.
Here's one of mine>

eaglesprey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,150
Like?
Re: Picasa - free web gallery
In reply to Matthew Tribble, Mar 17, 2007

Nice shot Mathew! Great composure.
--
Rudy

atxbrit
Regular MemberPosts: 259
Like?
In reply to Matthew Tribble, Mar 17, 2007

I opened the google web album direct from picasa, no need to sign up for email.

Regarding the photos picasa will pick up ALL photos on the hard drive including microsoft giffs(?)
--

CC & PP welcome.
H* Duck club member.

Matthew Tribble
Regular MemberPosts: 172
Like?
In reply to atxbrit, Mar 17, 2007

I found that you can enable it to search for gif files in the option menu but it will not play them and if you upload them to the web gallery they are converted to jpg files!
So no, not much good for gif files.

And here's another sheep picture, just because I can> (H1 pic taken in lake district)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads