Freddy
Regular MemberPosts: 128
Like?
New Mark III Ds announced by Canon
Mar 2, 2007

Found the info at:

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/Canon_1DS_MkIII.html

From that site:

"In preparation for PMA I'm told there was a conference at the MGM Grand hotel in Las Vegas. The conference was on new chip technology, hosted by the association of photography engineers. The main sponsor of the show was Canon (they had 50 of the new 1D Mark III cameras there for testing by the group)

I'm told (Thanks!) that:

"Canon senior engineer, Taki Somoishe, stated today in Las Vegas that the new Mark III Ds will ship in November in time for Christmas season. A 22mp full frame sensor with a new high speed chip coded Digic IV model. The camera will have a burst rate of 7 frames per second. The camera will not have a view screen similar to the 10 frame D model. The Mark III Ds will capture images in Jpeg, Raw and now tiff. More info to be announced in March"

No live display and we get Digic IV (is this the dual core version of Digic III? Also, Canon is hardly known for announcing/leaking products months ahead of availability? But who knows?

There was general surprise that Taki said what he did at the conference...

One other snippet was that although the 1D3 is an amazing camera, it's low on on pixels. New technology should allow 10 per second with at least 14mp (do I hear 1DMk3N)

I do like the idea of the 1Ds3 being available in time for all those last minute Christmas gift decisions -- now I know what all -my- friends will getting (since no more of them seem to have any spare wall space for any more of my big prints

Of course if Nikon do announce a forthcoming D3 or whatever at 18-20 MB and almost FF (with high speed crop mode), then 1Ds2 sales could head south and some major corporate customers might be tempted by Nikon -- unless, of course, we get some hint as to what is coming from Canon

In more 1D3 pricing info I'm told that it is available (to order) at Henry's in the Toronto area at $5500 Cdn. Also the Canon Australia site listing the EOS-1D Mark III body for $A6,499 which is the same price as for the EOS-1D Mark IIN body (full Aus price list)"

End of quote

sneakyracer
Regular MemberPosts: 457
Like?
Re: New Mark III Ds announced by Canon
In reply to Freddy, Mar 2, 2007

I agree that the 1D mk3 should have been at least 12.8MP , the same as the 5D. The 1Ds mk3 should have been released in Photokina so its way overdue. Gotta thank Nikon for that one, no competition. So canon can afford to sit on the old camera for a wee bit longer...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
megapixeldave
Senior MemberPosts: 1,746
Like?
noise @ hi iso's...
In reply to sneakyracer, Mar 2, 2007

it seems like the 1DmkIII improved by 1 full stop in the hi iso's which at least makes it equal to the 5D...and wont surprise me if it goes to maybe slightly over a 1 stop advantage. this is judging from "image resourse" testing.

it the 1DSmkIII can at least improve by this ratio while still being 22mp...all i can say is, good luck to Nikon to try and deliver a camera than will compete. i really hope for their sake they can but truthfully...its hard to imagine.

david
http://www.davidprobst.com

Mark_ii
Forum MemberPosts: 74
Like?

Your post will bring a sly smile to many. Personally I'll go with the 1D mkIII, you know what they say, a bird in the hand .......... however, it's wonderful to hear of the new advancements all the same, I'm sure this post will get a lot of attention.

Peter Gregg
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,704Gear list
Like?
in time for Christmas

I love the "in time for Christmas" part.

Gee what can I get for Aunt Sally??

I know, I'll just pick up a new 1Ds MK3, gee and they came out just in time for Christmas too.

Is this consumer mentality or what folks. I guess it just can't help slip in to the stories that are told, given enough time you'll get caught.

Peter

Peter Gregg's gear list:Peter Gregg's gear list
Olympus E-M1
stiksandstones
Contributing MemberPosts: 925
Like?
Re: in time for Christmas
In reply to Peter Gregg, Mar 2, 2007

ya-I know no one who has ever got a pro slr for xmas.

Peter Gregg wrote:

I love the "in time for Christmas" part.

Gee what can I get for Aunt Sally??
I know, I'll just pick up a new 1Ds MK3, gee and they came out just
in time for Christmas too.

Is this consumer mentality or what folks. I guess it just can't
help slip in to the stories that are told, given enough time you'll
get caught.

Peter

Steven Noyes
Forum ProPosts: 12,369
Like?
Tiff? In time for Christmas?

These are not exactly Christmas gifts (but they may be tax write-offs). And TIFF? Why? Files (even LZW compressed) are simply too big.

I don't put any faith in this rumor.

Steven

-- hide signature --
JohnnyBlood
Senior MemberPosts: 1,610
Like?
In reply to stiksandstones, Mar 2, 2007

I know no one who has ever got a pro slr for xmas.

We can always hope.

Johnny

http://www.flickr.com/photos/latitudes/

ed rader
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,998
Like?
In reply to JohnnyBlood, Mar 2, 2007

i got a 5d and 24-105L for xmas, and it wasn't from my wife so i didn't pay for it :).

ed rader

-- hide signature --

'One often has mixed feelings about relatives, but few people could identify serious problems in their relationships with dogs.'

-- Anonymous

foldedpath
Contributing MemberPosts: 539
Like?
Re: Tiff? In time for Christmas?
In reply to Steven Noyes, Mar 2, 2007

Steven Noyes wrote:

These are not exactly Christmas gifts (but they may be tax
write-offs). And TIFF? Why? Files (even LZW compressed) are
simply too big.

Might be for forensic, law enforcement, etc. Closest thing to an unmodified original image straight out of the camera, without the artifacts of jpeg.

Trinimon
Regular MemberPosts: 497
Like?
Re: Tiff? In time for Christmas?
In reply to foldedpath, Mar 2, 2007

TIIF? Those pics are going to be HUGE! Reading this leaves me to question if there's any truth to it or just to add hysteria. Why would Canon announce a 1DsMk3 so soon after the 1Dmk3 announcement? With double the pixesl, 7fps and FF AND Digic IV (and we're only NOW getting Digic III with the 1DMK3!). It would probably be the ideal camera for landscaper AND sports photographers would it not? Anyone ordering a 1DMK3 now might second guess their decision and hold out until Christmas. I know it made me question myself! Until I read about the 1DsMK3 on Canon's press release I'll believe it.

Jay Aquino
Senior MemberPosts: 1,016
Like?
Perhaps its a TIFF like the MKI RAW
In reply to Trinimon, Mar 3, 2007

The 1DS MkI produces RAW files as TIFs the thumbnail can be seen in Windows and the RAW data is encapsulated in the file.

When I first got my MK I thought it was odd until I realized that the TIFs thumbnailed in the viewer and came out really fast in DPP.

Jay

Steven Noyes
Forum ProPosts: 12,369
Like?
Data validation kit does that.
In reply to foldedpath, Mar 3, 2007

TIFF makes no sense at all. Much bigger than RAW with less information.

Unless they are going back to the RAW format of the 1D and 1Ds but that is unlikely. The TIFF comment, alone, makes me question this rumor.

Steven

-- hide signature --
rrcphoto
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,173
Like?
Re: archival?
In reply to Jay Aquino, Mar 3, 2007

one of the issues about raw was long term archival of the proprietary nature of the raw format.

TIFF might be a away against that..however, I would have thought open raw would be better.

Z (is real)
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,269
Like?
Re: Data validation kit does that.
In reply to Steven Noyes, Mar 3, 2007

Actually almost all raw formats are TIFF in a strict sense. But it is a mostly meaningless artifact of semantics.

-Z-

Hellashot
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,234
Like?
Hogwash.
In reply to Freddy, Mar 3, 2007

Cameras used to record in TIFF, before they got too many megapixels. I cannot imagine the file size of an 8bit 22MP image. Hmm, about 65MB. That is a totally unusable file size and format for saving pictures in a camera.

Try making up something more credible next time. Canon will not go from Digic3 to Digic4 in 6 months. They milked Digic2 for 30 months.

Doug J
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,674
Like?

"Canon senior engineer, Taki Somoishe...." may now be junior light-bulb changer in the warehouse.

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Doug
http://pbase.com/dougj

http://thescambaiter.com
Fighting scammers WW for fun & justice

Pbestwk
Regular MemberPosts: 363
Like?
In reply to stiksandstones, Mar 3, 2007

umm.....I bought myself my 1DSMKII for Christmas a couple of years ago
--
http://www.studio58.com.au

Anastigmat
Forum ProPosts: 12,579
Like?
In reply to sneakyracer, Mar 3, 2007

sneakyracer wrote:

I agree that the 1D mk3 should have been at least 12.8MP , the same
as the 5D. The 1Ds mk3 should have been released in Photokina so
its way overdue. Gotta thank Nikon for that one, no competition. So
canon can afford to sit on the old camera for a wee bit longer...

Nikon is playing possum, so Canon gets complacent and then Nikon will spring a surprise on Canon once in a while, like the D80. Then Canon scrambles to catch up, by releasing something like the DIgital Rebel XTi. Canon has had a rabbit start, but it tries to rest on its laurels sometimes. The sight of the turtle walking past it can give the rabbit a jolt and send him running again.

Nikon may show a D3 Vaporware with more pixels than the 1DS2. And Canon will be shocked into action by releasing the 1DS3.

RDKirk
Forum ProPosts: 14,596
Like?
Actually, they have done that...

Also, Canon is hardly known for announcing/leaking products months ahead of availability? But who knows?

Canon-Spain senior officials announced in February 2005 that in the fall of that year Canon would release a new model of DSLR between the 20D and the 1D.

That camera turned out to be the 5D. Interestingly, a press release--in Spanish--leaked out just days ahead of the official October release.

-- hide signature --

RDKirk
'TANSTAAFL: The only unbreakable rule in photography.'

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads