D200 Generic GPS Cable

Started Dec 6, 2006 | Discussions
kieranmullen
Contributing MemberPosts: 548
Like?
D200 Generic GPS Cable
Dec 6, 2006

Surely someone has started making these are there is a huge market for it right now.

What other solutions are there if you record points on your gps and then match them with the jpgs manually?

Thank you

KM

celsius2
Regular MemberPosts: 122
Like?
Re: D200 Generic GPS Cable
In reply to kieranmullen, Dec 6, 2006

There are software that can extract information from your handheld GPS to match the time of the photos. The main issue of this is that your camera time must be precise and to match that of the GPS. (GPS knows its precise time so it is accurate).

See if article here can help:
http://www.imagingsociety.com/weblog/2006/10/gps_photo_metad_1.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kieranmullen
Like?
In reply to celsius2, Dec 6, 2006

I didnt see anythign about software. I would like to get a GPS for my Dell Axim Handheld. That way I can have movable maps on there.

I could purchase a Sony GPS-CS1 GPS for about $150 but it doenst look that software.

I would hate to edit a ton of pictures separately to see the EXIF GPS Info.

If there way some way to do batch process with another reciever that would be great.

THanks

KM

celsius2
Like?
In reply to kieranmullen, Dec 6, 2006

The Sony GPS provides the software necessary to extract and synchronise GPS/photo data.
Other than that it is not a very good GP and you could do better with other GPS.

For your Axim this site has connecting cables and it does seem that they are making cables for Nikon too:
http://www.pc-mobile.net/nikongps.htm

Jarred S
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
In reply to celsius2, Dec 7, 2006

go you know if the sony gps only works with jpg image files? i assume so, but I'm curious.
--
http://www.AWrinkleInTime.smugmug.com

Philip Scott
Contributing MemberPosts: 837Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jarred S, Dec 7, 2006

Yes, only with JPEGs as of when I asked the Sny tech rep in their booth at the PhotoPlus Expo in NYC 11/3/06...he didn't know of any plan to make it work with their Alpha camera or any other RAW at the time.

Philip Scott's gear list:Philip Scott's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX9 Samsung NX300 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4
celsius2
Like?
In reply to Jarred S, Dec 7, 2006

Jarred S wrote:

go you know if the sony gps only works with jpg image files? i
assume so, but I'm curious.
--

When the Sony GPS/Camera was announced, I was very interested. Then I was disappointed to finally knew what it was.

There is no connection between the GPS and camera which I originally imagined, like the Nikon ones.

There are 3 parts of the Sony GPS set up - The GPS, software that came with the GPS, and the Sony digital camera.

The GPS is just an ordinary GPS, so is the camera (with exif inofrmation recorded in the photo).
The important piece of the jigsaw in the set up is the software.

Most GPS and digital camera can be used for similar application.

The application rely on the time sync between the camera and the GPS. The GPS is turned on all the time to record the trail of where you have been when you took the pictures. You then do the work at home to sync the GPS trail with the photos taken.

The Sony GPS is not a good one by today's standard. The software that came with it may or may not work with other camera. I would imagine that Sony would have some codes embedded so that it will work only with Sony cameras.

I did not find out more as by that time I had no interest in it.

The idea is not new. There are software you can use to do similar job with most handheld GPS and digital cameras (with exif information recorded). But it is a cumbersome task so I never tried.

Jarred S
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?

Yeah, I was at the expo too. I pressed them and pressed them with no avail. They said they were looking at future support come Christmas or the new year. But beyond that they said they were trained PR workers. Bummer.
--

kieranmullen
Like?

We will see "Our Nikon Cable system is now under development and expected to be available mid January 2007. "

Hopefully the cable will be about $30 or so. Is it just plain silly... $100 for cables comon is it a propietary connector on the camera?

KM

theFool
Regular MemberPosts: 184
Like?
Here's my solution, soon to be available for everyone...
In reply to kieranmullen, Dec 7, 2006

it's still a crummy website, but just so you guys have some information:

http://www.fool2.de/foolography/gps/nikongps.html

the Holux GPSlim 236 which I use, is obviously much smaller and lighter than the DI-GPS, and uses a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. This battery lasts approx 10 hours.

I'm finalizing the prototype tests, and by the beginning of next year, I'll have the final product available.

If the demand will be there, I'll also make custom cables for other GPS devices apart from the Holux.
if you have any wishes, let me know, I'll check if it is possible.

Taking this whole thing a step further, I have managed to develop a bluetooth module, which is only 2x2cm in size, and sits directly on the 10-pin socket of the camera

here's a picture of the prototype:

This should work with any bluetooth GPS device, which can output NMEA (which is the case with almost all of them).

This will hopefully also be available beginning of next year!

If anyone is interested, send me a mail, and I will keep you posted.

theFool

kieranmullen
Like?
Re: Here's my solution, soon to be available for everyone...
In reply to theFool, Dec 7, 2006

I wonder can a bluetooth gps talk to my pda and camera at the same time? It is just spitting out data.??

KM

d70_europe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,208
Like?
short and simple: no (nt)

kieranmullen wrote:

I wonder can a bluetooth gps talk to my pda and camera at the same
time? It is just spitting out data.??

KM

d70_europe
Like?
MC-35 is not too expensive

kieranmullen wrote:

We will see "Our Nikon Cable system is now under development and
expected to be available mid January 2007. "

Hopefully the cable will be about $30 or so. Is it just plain
silly... $100 for cables comon is it a propietary connector on the
camera?

The price is quite okay.

Have a look on how expensive already a suitable plug/cable is. If you can proof me that you can make it cheaper - you are very welcome do supply me because I need a source!

You might get bad working copies at Adidt-style remote controls (not useful for GPS anyway) - but there is a hugh difference to the original plug! And as the produced numbers aren't high the price is quite realistic.

The real problem is that the MC-35 is not available (or Nikon not prepared to the needed number that raised with the D200). And it's not very practical in use (so targeted to use with Garmin or Magellan device like listed in Nikon's compatibility list).

However making such a cable yourself is not too difficulty - and it can work even better than the original one (so making the camera turn of when it's not in use - with the MC-35 you always have to use the power switch). But one has to have some knowledge about electronics.
Wermer

celsius2
Like?
Re: Here's my solution, soon to be available for everyone...
In reply to kieranmullen, Dec 8, 2006

kieranmullen wrote:

I wonder can a bluetooth gps talk to my pda and camera at the same
time? It is just spitting out data.??

KM

That you can do with a wired GPS by splitting data out from GPS.

Louis Dallara
Senior MemberPosts: 1,046Gear list
Like?
In reply to celsius2, Dec 22, 2006

Looks real nice, short cables, not like the big box and long cables of the MC-35, can't wait to January. Thanks for the link.
Another Ebay seller is coming out with cable also.

Right now there are ripoff's like Airborn Science selling MC-35 for $189.00
Even Nikon $99.00 price is very high.

I bid on one on Ebay that went for $187.00 form another ripoff camera store called Norman Camera.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&sspagename=STRK%3AMEDW%3AIT&viewitem=&item=150072671514&rd=1&rd=1

-- hide signature --
 Louis Dallara's gear list:Louis Dallara's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Nikon D200 Nikon D800 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
Clark Hampton
Senior MemberPosts: 2,839Gear list
Like?
SONY
In reply to kieranmullen, Dec 22, 2006

Sony sells a really cheap GPS that records time and location. It can be sync'd after the fact with your images. real cheap, real simple.

That product was featured on this site a while back.

Clark Hampton's gear list:Clark Hampton's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D200 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +4 more
Clark Hampton
Like?
See it here...
In reply to Clark Hampton, Dec 22, 2006
Nikon D100 Nikon D200 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +4 more
Clark Hampton
Like?
$99 here...
Jon Vermilye
Regular MemberPosts: 192
Like?
In reply to Louis Dallara, Dec 22, 2006

If you are willing to sync your camera time to a GPS after the fact, you can use any camera that produces EXIF data. A couple of sources for free or low cost syncing software:
http://wwmx.org/ Free PC Only
http://oregonstate.edu/%7Eearlyj/gpsphotolinker/index.php Free - Mac OS X Only
http://www.robogeo.com/home/ About $35.00 PC Only

This info from http://www.naturescapes.net/092006/dc0906.htm - a link that explains syncing GPS and camera data...

d70_europe
Like?
Re: SONY

Clark Hampton wrote:

Sony sells a really cheap GPS that records time and location. It
can be sync'd after the fact with your images. real cheap, real
simple.

...and really not working with RAW, a completely diifferent workfliow and already discussed many times - and already mentioned in this thread too.
Werner

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads