Keyword management software

Started Oct 18, 2006 | Discussions
neilcreek
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Keyword management software
Oct 18, 2006

Hi folks, first time poster, long time reader

I have spent the last few days in an exercise of frustration, looking for simple but powerful keyword management software for images. I am starting up a stock library of my own photos, and I really need a utility of some kind to help me with the process. However all the software I read about, or trial, seems to come up short in one or more crucial areas. I was hoping to get some recommendations from the experts here. Specifically I need IPTC keyword and metadata management software.

Adobe Bridge comes extremely close to what I need. The things I like about it include: check boxes on keywords and categories to apply to one or many images with a single click, saving keywords in an open, portable xml file, fast browsing of thumbnails etc. But there is one critical and other annoying problems - most importantly the lack of any way to have nested categories to organise hundreds of keywords, and less importantly a built in thesaurus/synonym utility to recommend keywords.

I have researched and tried numerous solutions, and various problems have caused them to come up wanting, including: lack of nested categories, horrendous user interfaces, feature bloat burying the features i need, inability to write metadata to IPTC fields within the image etc.

I am willing to pay for software, but would ideally prefer to pay less than $200usd.

What do you all use, and how crucial do you find keyword organisation to your digital asset management?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Regards,
Neil

Craig J
Contributing MemberPosts: 577
Like?
Re: Keyword management software
In reply to neilcreek, Oct 18, 2006

Apple or PC.

I have heard good things about Apeture?
--
My blog on Micro-stock photography:
http://blog.myspace.com/cj_photo

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
neilcreek
Like?
Re: Keyword management software
In reply to Craig J, Oct 18, 2006

Thanks for the reply. I'm on PC.

Lightroom may one day be pretty good, but for now it also lacks hierarchical keyword organisation.

Graham Snook
Senior MemberPosts: 1,679Gear list
Like?
iview?

For all my captioning and keywording I use iview.

http://www.iview-multimedia.com/

As log as you remeber to sync out at the end of a session it's the best, easiest (drag and drop keywording), and cheapest all in one solution...it's also great for editing and being able to keep the catalogue on you HDD/server is a neat way to look for images without having to load CDs/DVDs of high res images

not to mention the way you can simplly email watermarked images with a few clicks of the mouse, or set up html libraries

No I don't work for them, the Tech support is good and the forum on the site is invaluable

Give it a go if you haven't already....21days free to make up yer mind what have you got to loose
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Always give the client a vertical-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
http://grahamsnook.wordpress.com/

Graham Snook's gear list:Graham Snook's gear list
Leica D-LUX 3 Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +5 more
neilcreek
Like?
Re: iview?
In reply to Graham Snook, Oct 18, 2006

Sounds good. Thanks for the referral! But their site seems to be down at the moment? At least, I'm unable to connect to it. I'm downloading the trial form download.com but it's coming in at a measly 2k/sec. Oh well, I'll just have to wait to try it.

Any other suggestions from other people?

neilcreek
Like?
Re: iview?

Sorry for the double post, but reading through the iView forum (which oddly I can access, while the site remains out of touch) I remembered why I didn't download the trial. It seems that iView does not support keyword hierarchies. From a forum post:

Hierarchical keywords has been a bone of contention with a lot of users for quite a while. It's something that the developers are looking into to see if they can make it work and still meet the metadata standards.

Warren Sarle
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,676
Like?
Image Info Toolkit
In reply to neilcreek, Oct 19, 2006
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads