Canon Extension Tube EF 25 II for 24-105mm f/4L IS USM?

Started Sep 26, 2006 | Discussions
riversen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,267
Like?
Canon Extension Tube EF 25 II for 24-105mm f/4L IS USM?
Sep 26, 2006

I am thinking of buying a Canon Extension Tube EF 25 II for my new Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens that Canon says it fits. I wanted to be able to do some macro shots. Hans anyone used a macro tube on their 24-105mm, 50mm, or 70-200mm lenses? Are you happy with your results?

Also, the spec's say that I get about 1 1/2 feet away from my subject with the 24-105mm lens. How much gain have you noticed with the extension tube?
--
Robert (Phoenix, AZ) - Canon Digital Rebel XT

If the beauty of this world is merely a reflection the Creator's brushstroke, then my hope is to capture but a glimpse of that exquisiteness. This is my passion and endeavor though my skills in photography are limited.

Khun_K
Contributing MemberPosts: 761Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon Extension Tube EF 25 II for 24-105mm f/4L IS USM?
In reply to riversen, Sep 26, 2006

It does work with the 24-105L and is a good accessory for close-up alternative. Anyway, the AF does become quite hesitate, hunts back and forth, so I usually switch to manul focus when using the extension tube.

Khun_K

riversen wrote:

I am thinking of buying a Canon Extension Tube EF 25 II for my new
Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens that Canon says it fits. I wanted
to be able to do some macro shots. Hans anyone used a macro tube
on their 24-105mm, 50mm, or 70-200mm lenses? Are you happy with
your results?

Also, the spec's say that I get about 1 1/2 feet away from my
subject with the 24-105mm lens. How much gain have you noticed
with the extension tube?
--

If the beauty of this world is merely a reflection the Creator's
brushstroke, then my hope is to capture but a glimpse of that
exquisiteness. This is my passion and endeavor though my skills in
photography are limited.

-- hide signature --

Khun_K

Khun_K's gear list:Khun_K's gear list
Phase One Capture One Pro
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TORN
Contributing MemberPosts: 713
Like?

I was using a 21mm extension tube with the 24-105L IS on my 5D. AF worked very good with the center AF point and not that good with the others. You have to stay inside the distance of 1-2 feet to your subject for AF to work correctly. Since you are doing close ups you can perform manual focussing with the good viewer of the 5D quite well.

The 35mm extension tube streches the AF ability quite too much for my taste and I would not judge it useful.

If I remember correctly the combination of the 21mm extension tube with the 24-105L IS allows you to take picture-filling photos of objects as large as the back display of the 5D. This roughly corresponds to 1:2.5.

TORN

Samir Kharusi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,421
Like?

Forget the over-priced Canon extension tubes. You are just buying an empty tube and the air inside is just the same optical quality as the generic extension tubes at a third of the price. Get a full set of 3 generic brand extension tubes (or Kenko) plus the Canon 50mm/1.8 lens and shoot very sharp macros, all the way to 1:1, ie your subject will be only 15mm over the height of the 1.6x crop DSLR frame. Zooms and extension tubes are often not a nice match. For an example of the 50mm+ext tubes, compared to a true macro lens see this:
http://www.geocities.com/samirkharusi/mighty_50.html

The $70 Canon 50mm/1.8 will also show you what a sharp lens does and is also an excellent portrait lens.
--
Bored? Peruse my website:
http://www.samirkharusi.net/

riversen
Like?
Did you use auto focus, including 24mm?
In reply to Khun_K, Sep 26, 2006

According to Canon and their different instruction manuals, I should not use the auto focus with Canon Extension Tube EF 25 II. You seemed to indicate that you used auto focus. Canon's instruction for the 24-105mm lens said that I could damage the camera. Did I misunderstand this and have you experienced any problems?
--

If the beauty of this world is merely a reflection the Creator's brushstroke, then my hope is to capture but a glimpse of that exquisiteness. This is my passion and endeavor, though my skills in photography are limited.

riversen
Like?
I am checking out the Kenko tubes now...
In reply to Samir Kharusi, Sep 27, 2006

Will these allow for autofocusing or should I go to Manual focusing all the way? Also, you mentioned the Canon 50mm f/1.8. Will they also work with the Canon 50mm f/1.4? How about the Canon 24-105mm f/4L?
--

Since the beauty of this world is merely a reflection the Creator's brushstroke, then my hope is to capture but a glimpse of that exquisiteness. This is my passion and endeavor, though my skills in photography are limited.

Samir Kharusi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,421
Like?
Re: I am checking out the Kenko tubes now...
In reply to riversen, Sep 28, 2006

The Kenko extension tubes allow autofocusing and autoexposure with all EF-mount lenses. How well the autofocus actually works will depend on the working distance to the subject and the particular lens. Eg there is no problem when you attach an extension tube to a tele lens but I expect it would be a very different story with a 14mm lens. Zooms are not really meant to be used with extension tubes but the tele zooms, I suspect, will work better than the wide zooms. I believe Canon recommends the +diopters as the better solution for their 70-200 zooms, rather than extension tubes. I used to own the 50/1.8 Mark I and now the 50/1.4. Frankly, there is not much difference between these lenses in optical performance. I would advise anyone to purchase the cheapo 50/1.8 unless he is actually going to use f1.4, at least occasionally.
--
Bored? Peruse my website:
http://www.samirkharusi.net/

Martin Jones
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
In reply to Samir Kharusi, Oct 2, 2006

I agree!

You can get a set of 3 Kenko extension tubes for the price of a singe Canon tube and I use both the 12 and the 20 mostly although you can stack them in various combinations to give all sorts of lengths.

Work beautifully on the canon 50/1.8 and 50/1.4

http://www.pbase.com/martinjones/funghi

-- hide signature --
riversen
Like?
Bought the Canon 12mm on eBay for a great price...
In reply to Martin Jones, Oct 2, 2006

What do you think? Will I be ablet to enjoy my 12mm Extension tube on my Canon 50mm lens? Will it work on my 70-200mm lens? Just curious.
--
Robert (Phoenix, AZ) - Canon EOS 30D

Since the beauty of this world is merely a reflection the Creator's brushstroke, then my hope is to capture but a glimpse of that exquisiteness. This is my passion and endeavor, though I have just begun to nurture my skills in photography.

netgarden
Forum ProPosts: 10,761Gear list
Like?
you can use both together
In reply to Samir Kharusi, Oct 3, 2006

both tube and diopter filter. A +2 and the 12mm tube is nice.

You can use the 500d close up filter on the 24-105is. I have used the close up +4 and it works fine, but prefer the 12mm tube at about 80mm.
[The 25mm tube won't work at 24mm]

It says in the book to focus manually. But like you, I find no problems with autofocus unless you try to shoot wide. [why anyway]

Yes, I use close up filters and the 12mm tube on at least 4 lenses. Thats where the tubes get their moneys worth, as they can be used on any lens pretty much. The zoom seems fine. I think the 12mm is less severe a prob. I was thinking of getting a 25mm too for the 24-105, whereas the Tamron 17-50 can't take a 25mm, as the 12mm alone will bring you to 2 inches from target. The shorter the lens, the closer you'll have to get for target.
--

Linda~ http://soulswithin.u.yuku.com/t/view-your-profile.html
You don't take a photograph. You ask, quietly, to borrow it. Author Unknown

netgarden
Forum ProPosts: 10,761Gear list
Like?
yep, it will...
In reply to riversen, Oct 3, 2006

I use it alot on quite a few. I may buy another 12mm to add to it. The 12mm focuses, no prob on any lens pretty much. Unless you are too close or too far away. The range is in the middle area. You'll get the hang. Just choose the focus area and then focus/rock back and forth until you see perfect focus. Each lens will have a different focus distance from target.
--

Linda~ http://soulswithin.u.yuku.com/t/view-your-profile.html
You don't take a photograph. You ask, quietly, to borrow it. Author Unknown

Ioues
Regular MemberPosts: 410
Like?
In reply to riversen, Oct 3, 2006

I've done a test on Kenko tubes for all my lenses below. It includes minimum focus distances and maximum magnification ratios of each lens.

http://www.pbase.com/hk3288/kenko_magnification_comparion_test

-- hide signature --

My collections:

digitaldog
Senior MemberPosts: 1,000
Like?
How about using Kenko's on the 85 f1.8?
In reply to riversen, Nov 19, 2006

Will it work just as good as using them on the 50 f1.8?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads