The HP LP2065: an excellent S-IPS LCD display on a budget

Started Sep 26, 2006 | Discussions
Daniel Browning
Senior MemberPosts: 1,058
Like?
The HP LP2065: an excellent S-IPS LCD display on a budget
Sep 26, 2006

The 5th-generation LG Phillips LM201U05 S-IPS LCD is arguably the most well-regarded 20-inch panel in all sub-$1500 monitors. Displays based on this panel command a premium: LaCIE charges $1400 for their 320, and NEC asks $1,000 for their LCD2090UXi.

But can a $390 HP display really have the same panel as the NEC and LaCIE?

It can. And it does.

PictureLake and I discussed the HP LP2065 at length in this thread:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1004&message=20026232

It culminated with my purchase of the display with the intent of disassembling it to identify its true character.

I took delivery of the LP2065 a few hours ago; the panel came apart easily after just 8 screws (see photos below). Mine was revision "GSM000", assembled in May 2006. I did not photograph the actual LG Phillips model number because that would have required more invasive measures, but I did see the "LM201U05" with my own two eyes, and it looks exactly like the photo from this Czeck article (below):

http://www.svethardware.cz/art_doc-2D844F4A6FA50C8CC125719E00490EAF.html

I haven't bought a colorometer yet (I'm still trying to decide on the best one; that's even harder than choosing a monitor), so I don't know what the Delta E is.

Before I gush too much, I feel I should state several caveats. First, HP could be using lower quality versions of the panel. Wikipedia indicates that "raw LCD TFT panels are usually factory-sorted into three categories, with regard to the number of dead pixels, backlight evenness and general product quality...the best screens are usually reserved for use in 'professional' grade TFT monitors":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD

Yet there are no dead pixels in my copy, and the backlight is very even to my untrained eye; so perhaps it is 'professional' grade. It is, after all, in HP's "business" line of products, whatever that's worth.

Second, It's possible that HP will change the display in future revisions, like Dell does (the "lottery"). PictureLake and I have gotten conflicting responses from HP tech support on this point, but I don't think they will.

HP includes several niceties at this price point: a solid, rotating stand, two USB ports, dual inputs (DVI or analog), and a three year warranty that includes the backlight. I do not detect any faint high-pitched signal noise like some users have reported with their displays (my Samsung did that anytime I turned the sound on.) Since I have what I consider to be the quietest computer possible, that's important to me.

In summary, I highly recommend this monitor for people who want a world-class color-critical LCD display for a third of the price of the competition.
--
Daniel

PictureLake
Regular MemberPosts: 202
Like?
Just entered my order!
In reply to Daniel Browning, Sep 26, 2006

After reading your review, that was enough for me.

I do want to add a couple of things to what you wrote.

Before I gush too much, I feel I should state several caveats.

One more caveat, though not very important to me (I don't think). I just read a review on Amazon that mentioned this monitor is more prone to an image persistence problem than other monitors. There is a long article on Behardware.com about this problem:
http://www.behardware.com/articles/615-1/lcds-with-persistent-images.html

So I suspect it's a problem with all new S-IPS monitors, which is one (minor) point in favor of the NEC 2070NX (a 2-year old monitor).

I haven't bought a colorometer yet (I'm still trying to decide on
the best one; that's even harder than choosing a monitor), so I
don't know what the Delta E is.

I recently bought a Pantone EyeOne Display 2. Amazon & Buy sell it for about $190, including shipping. But the EyeOne software doesn't say what Delta E is (or if it does, I've totally missed it, which is always possible). So even after I calibrate it, I won't be able to say what the Delta E is. But I'm sure it will be fine after calibration, if not out of the box.

Second, It's possible that HP will change the display in future
revisions, like Dell does (the "lottery"). PictureLake and I have
gotten conflicting responses from HP tech support on this point,
but I don't think they will.

As you know now, I posted in the other thread that I finally did get the same answer you did from HP Tech Support. The first (conflicting) answer I got was from pre-sales, not TS. So it looks like their is no HP lottery for this monitor. If you buy it, you get an S-IPS panel.

In summary, I highly recommend this monitor for people who want a
world-class color-critical LCD display for a third of the price of
the competition.

This price is good through Oct 31 only (though who knows what might happen after that). But the special rebate ends 10/31, and so might the "Smart Buy" pricing (which is product #EF227A8 vs normal product #EF227A4). So if anyone's interested in buying this monitor, they have about a month to make up their mind before the price MAY go up quite a bit (I think it's about $140 less now, including the rebate).

Thanks for the review, Daniel, and for all your help. I hope you enjoy your new monitor (and me, too)!

Ken

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PictureLake
Like?
OT: EyeOne display 2 does have delta E
In reply to PictureLake, Sep 26, 2006

I just googled it, and found out there's more to the match one software than meets the eye. There's a tool called "Monitorvalidator" that let's you graph the delta E changes over time.

I just tried it on this monitor (a Dell 1905FP), and the dE's ranged from a high of 2.79 to a low of 0.13 -- average dE2000 is 0.87.

So, live & learn!

Ken

kenw
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,183Gear list
Like?
Re: The HP LP2065: an excellent S-IPS LCD display on a budget

Excellent info, thanks!
--
Ken W
Rebel XT, Fuji F30, and a whole lot of 35mm and 4x5 sitting in the closet...

kenw's gear list:kenw's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +25 more
kenw
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,183Gear list
Like?
Re: Just entered my order!

PictureLake wrote:

One more caveat, though not very important to me (I don't think).
I just read a review on Amazon that mentioned this monitor is more
prone to an image persistence problem than other monitors. There
is a long article on Behardware.com about this problem:
http://www.behardware.com/articles/615-1/lcds-with-persistent-images.html

So I suspect it's a problem with all new S-IPS monitors, which is
one (minor) point in favor of the NEC 2070NX (a 2-year old monitor).

Wow, I hadn't heard of that. Really interesting article. Thanks! As you say though, pretty easy to avoid, just use a screen saver!

-- hide signature --

Ken W
Rebel XT, Fuji F30, and a whole lot of 35mm and 4x5 sitting in the closet...

kenw's gear list:kenw's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +25 more
MatMi
Regular MemberPosts: 209
Like?

Where did you guys order your HP monitors from ?

Daniel Browning
Senior MemberPosts: 1,058
Like?
In reply to MatMi, Sep 26, 2006

MatMi wrote:

http://newegg.com/

It looks like the price has dropped from $390 to $380 (after the rebate).
--
Daniel

PictureLake
Like?

Daniel Browning wrote:

MatMi wrote:

http://newegg.com/

It looks like the price has dropped from $390 to $380 (after the
rebate).
--
Daniel

Aha! That explains why the price I had written down ($450) was wrong by about $10. That includes shipping. (It hurts sometimes to live in CA -- the extra cost is sales tax & a waste fee.)

I know of a couple places that are a little cheaper (for Californians), but I didn't trust them enough to order from them.

Ken

Kevin Nguyen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,645
Like?
What is S-IPS?
Kevin Nguyen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,645
Like?
Re: What is S-IPS?
In reply to Kevin Nguyen, Sep 26, 2006
Don Glenn
Contributing MemberPosts: 850
Like?
Re: Thanks for the info (nt)

Thanks.

PictureLake
Like?
And my order was just cancelled!

Newegg just sent me an email stating that they were sorry, but the item I ordered is on back-order, and they don't accept back-orders so they cancelled my order.

The website still shows it "in stock", but as of this moment, apparently it is not.

So they've forced me to order it from one of those cheaper places that I don't have as much trust in. PC Mall, in this case -- which isn't the cheapest (especially since they're also in CA, so I'm still hit with sales tax & the recycling fee). But they are offering a rebate for UPS Ground shipping, so I'll save about $30 over Newegg's price ... if they actually ship it!

Scary, though, given some of their feedback.

Ken

Trav Bomb
Regular MemberPosts: 345
Like?

The image retention you read about was a specific problem with that panel. The NEC 2090UXi uses the same panel but a newer revision so it no longer has this issue. Not sure what revision the HP uses.

PictureLake
Like?
In reply to Trav Bomb, Sep 27, 2006

Trav,

According to what Daniel posted, his LP2065 has a revision "GSM000" LM201U05 panel.

Do you happen to know if this is the same as, or older than, the one in the 2090UXi?

By the way, I do hope that we both have been fair towards NEC and not "bashed" it in any way. They make great monitors.

Ken

Trav Bomb
Regular MemberPosts: 345
Like?
In reply to PictureLake, Sep 27, 2006

PictureLake wrote:

Trav,

According to what Daniel posted, his LP2065 has a revision "GSM000"
LM201U05 panel.

Do you happen to know if this is the same as, or older than, the
one in the 2090UXi?

By the way, I do hope that we both have been fair towards NEC and
not "bashed" it in any way. They make great monitors.

Ken

I will have to look and see. I haev a feeling they use a different rev numbering system but I will try and find out.

No worries you guys havnt bashed at all. Just happy to chat about monitors.

KoMi30D
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
For those who want to save a few bucks....
In reply to Daniel Browning, Sep 27, 2006

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1293263&CatId=1410

Appears to be the previous generation of the 2065. Also uses an S-IPS panel according to flatpanels.dk (LG.Philips LM201U04). I've read a few reviews about this one, but they're all older...and I don't own it so I can't comment on quality. Just wanted to throw another option out there.

PictureLake
Like?
Re: For those who want to save a few bucks....
In reply to KoMi30D, Sep 27, 2006

KoMi30D, you posted this about 2-3 weeks ago, and that's actually what led me to discover the LP2065. I'm sorry I didn't thank you more for that!

I read a couple of reviews or user's opinions on this monitor, and there were a couple of things I didn't like. One that I can recall was that you can't adjust contrast when hooked up via the DVI input. I was worried that might make it less able to be calibratred.

But what really decided it for me was prad's review:
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review_hp_l2035.html

It's still probably a great deal for $300, but since the LP2065 can be found for about $75 more than that (after rebate), I feel that's the better buy. But certainly both can and should be considered.

Ken

klinikl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,042
Like?
Does DDC/CI work with E1?

One feature that that monitor is supposed to have is DDC/CI. Does it work with eyeone? Like, can the software automatically adjust the monitor to any white point and gamma targets without using videocard LUTs (you should see straight diagonal curves in the results)?

As far as Delta E - it's just a difference between two colors. Any two colors. What the numbers mean depends entirely on the context. In case of Match 3 it's the difference between the measured patch and the value expected from the profile. It just makes sure that the profile you created is accurate. The way delta e is used in monitor reviews is usually completely misguided though, you can ignore it.

PictureLake
Like?
Re: Does DDC/CI work with E1?
In reply to klinikl, Sep 27, 2006

klinikl wrote:

One feature that that monitor is supposed to have is DDC/CI. Does
it work with eyeone? Like, can the software automatically adjust
the monitor to any white point and gamma targets without using
videocard LUTs (you should see straight diagonal curves in the
results)?

I don't have the monitor yet, but based on gretagmacbeth's website, no. It isn't listed as one of the supported monitors. I've found Match 3 to be extremely easy to use, but the ability to use DDC/CI would have been even nicer. Oh, well.

As far as Delta E - it's just a difference between two colors. Any
two colors. What the numbers mean depends entirely on the context.
In case of Match 3 it's the difference between the measured patch
and the value expected from the profile. It just makes sure that
the profile you created is accurate. The way delta e is used in
monitor reviews is usually completely misguided though, you can
ignore it.

So if a particular color has a Delta E of > 2 in Match 3, that's pretty bad? Or is the average Delta E the only thing that matters? I would guess that indicates that particular color is off by enough to be noticably "wrong".

klinikl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,042
Like?
Re: Does DDC/CI work with E1?

Well, 2 is still tolerable. I think 3 is when the difference becomes more perceptible. If it was measured not right after the calibration it's should be OK.

It just means that what is actually displayed is slightly different than what's described in the profile (in this particular case). Make sure the monitor is warmed up and you measure approximately the same spot.

If delta e is relatively high right after the calibration it's not the monitor problem. It is a problem with the calibration process. Since non-DDC calibration may involve manual monitor adjustments and lossy videocard LUTs adjustments, results can be a bit off. If one of them is over 3 try to run the calibration again.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads