Does glossy paper use less ink than plain inkjet paper

Started Aug 11, 2006 | Discussions
srloren
Forum MemberPosts: 70
Like?
Does glossy paper use less ink than plain inkjet paper
Aug 11, 2006

Also does glossy paper require less ink than plain paper? I am trying to understand how these inkjets put the ink down. TIA for your help.
--
Thanks much

LSandersSr

Roger Beckett
Contributing MemberPosts: 866
Like?
Re: Does glossy paper use less ink than plain inkjet paper
In reply to srloren, Aug 12, 2006

It depends....The technology that now goes into paper production is changing by the month. With some paper the ink just sits on the top and then "sinks in". With others the ink diffuses through a membrane or porous barrier, posh word for it is "osmosis".

In general glossy paper will require more ink than plain inkjet paper. Do a quick test, take a sheet of plain inkjet paper, set up for inkjet paper, then print a small image. Change settings to "glossy paper" and print that.

http://www.printer-profiles.co.uk
--
Roger

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
srloren
Forum MemberPosts: 70
Like?
Re: Does glossy paper use less ink than plain inkjet paper
In reply to Roger Beckett, Aug 12, 2006

Thanks much Roger for your kind help...my printer is an HP Business inkjet 1100 and when I print from the PageMaker driver I get a number of options such as Saturation, brightness and color tone.

I am mostly printing color brochures and most of these are placed in a plastic box located on the for sale sign (outdoors here in So. California). Usually the brochures are used up in a week. I usually increase saturation a couple of stops to offset for fading and lighten a stop because if I don't the graphics are a bit dark. My original question which you answered was to help me understand what the ink does to different papers. Sometimes I print glossy but I usually use plain paper or HP Presentation Paper. I need to do a little more expermenting but wanted to learn a little more before I do.

Other than fading, problems are paper curling from the moisture in the air and paper sticking together, prospects will try for one and retrieve 2 or more brochures.
--
Again, Thanks much for your valued help.

LSandersSr
http://www.thecoastalhomefinder.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads