Image samples from the Nikkor 50-135mm f3.5 ais

Started May 2, 2006 | Discussions
anguyen62
Forum MemberPosts: 92
Like?
Image samples from the Nikkor 50-135mm f3.5 ais
May 2, 2006

Hi,

I am thinking about buying this zoom to use as a walk about lens and I have found threads on this forum praising its image quality, but no actual image.

Could someone who owns this lens post some images to demonstrate its virtues / weaknesses?
Many thanks in advance.
An Nguyen.

anguyen62
Like?
Re: Image samples from the Nikkor 50-135mm f3.5 ais
In reply to anguyen62, May 3, 2006

Is there any owner of this zoom out there?
An

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SiFu
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,413
Like?

Hi An!

I do have this lens, but actually hardly ever use it, simply because it's pretty much in between my favourite focal lenghts.

All in all, it's a nice lens, with pretty good IQ, but I much prefer the 75-150E if I want to take a lightweight lens in this focal range with me.

Regards
Alex

-- hide signature --

carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero

J_W_D
Senior MemberPosts: 1,356
Like?

anguyen62 wrote:

Is there any owner of this zoom out there?
An

I have one. But I'm at work right now so there are only a few which I have available. Most are severely downsized for the web, and there is a bit of noise in a couple of examples.

First of all a 100% crop so you can see what it can do.

Then what the whole shot looks like:

For bokeh, some poppies blowing in the wind:

Landscape at 135mm (brutally downsized by google somehow - In the original you can read the words on the trucks):

I did some tests and wide open at 50mm it is as good as my 50mm f/1.8 I think. At 135 it is better at f5.6 and above. Corners are pretty sharp as well. I only own this zoom, so I can only compare it to the primes I have and it does well against them.

anguyen62
Like?
Re: ...SiFu
In reply to SiFu, May 4, 2006

Hi Alex,
Thank you for your response. I have always admired your work.

Knowing that you are one of the "masters", I would like to ask another question..

Currently, I am using a D70 with my collection of about 12 manual nikkors. At times, I find it hard to focus due to the camera's dim viewfinder. I am saving up to buy a D200, mainly because this camera supports manual nikkors with a better viewfinder and actual metering. Recently, I remember that someone on this forum (you ....I think) use an Olympus E1 and some adaptor with Nikon lens. As this may be a cheaper approach to me, please describe to me what is your experience with such a setup? How is the viewfinder on the E1 compared to the Nikon D70, and what are the main drawbacks from not using a Nikon camera?
Thank you again for your advices.
An.

anguyen62
Like?
In reply to J_W_D, May 4, 2006

Hi,

Thank you very much for the samples. The imges look contrasty and sharp. Did you do any post processing?
Thanks again.
An

SiFu
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,413
Like?
In reply to anguyen62, May 4, 2006

Hi An!

Thanks for the kind words!

I'm currently using my Nikkors adapted to an E-1, a Sigma SD-10 as well as my Canon bodies (in addition to my F-mount bodies) - with mostly very good results (the SD-10 has some issues with a couple of lenses);

The E-1 is a nice camera, but I'm not sure, if you would be satisfied going to one from your D70 (depending on how important print size and high sensitivities are for you - on the positive side, the E-1 can be thought of as a small D2 body, build-wise, with great ergonomics, very good DR, a nice flash system and very good battery life).

That said, I like the viewfinder in the E-1; it's way better than the one used for example in the Fuji S2 (I have to add, that I've never looked through a D70, but I think it's as bad as the Fuji S2's). You will get full compatibility with F-mount lenses (with the exception of those requiring mirror lock-up and those without an aperture ring = G lenses), so pre-Ai lenses work fine as well.

The metering works pretty reliable (only useable in M or A mode), but you may have to dial in exp. compensation for lenses with a max. aperture bigger than f/1.8 (allthough my 85/1.4 meters correctly, some lenses need a +0.3 compensation).

Focussing has never been a problem for me with the E-1 (but don't forget that I've been using MF ever since) - unlike a D2H (or SD-10) the E-1 won't provide any focussing aids (neither optical nor accoustical) though, so you'll have to trust your eyes.

Other than that, there are no drawbacks of any kind when using Nikkor on an E-1 (plus you can use Leica R lenses, and a load of others as well).

The above does only apply to an E-1 - the E-300/500/330 bodies have an extremely bad viewfinder.

I use these adapters for my E-1:
http://cameraquest.com/adapt_olyE1.htm

They are of high quality, but not too cheap.

A final note, IQ-wise the E-1 can be thought of as a slightly better D2H (regarding resolution and noise).

Hope this helps! If you have any other question, I'll try my best to provide some answers.

Regards
Alex

-- hide signature --

carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero

J_W_D
Senior MemberPosts: 1,356
Like?
In reply to anguyen62, May 4, 2006

anguyen62 wrote:

Hi,
Thank you very much for the samples. The imges look contrasty and
sharp. Did you do any post processing?
Thanks again.
An

Actually, the poppy shot is softer than when it came out of camera as I put some noise reduction on it. I also tweaked the curve to darken the background a bit.

As for the others, they are pretty much as they came out of the camera. It was late afternoon on a very clear day. That sort of light is a recipe for contrast and golden color.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads