Can't format Hyperdrive in WinXP

Started Feb 15, 2006 | Discussions
Daniel
Regular MemberPosts: 151
Like?
Can't format Hyperdrive in WinXP
Feb 15, 2006

It it just me or we can't format Hyperdrive in WinXP? I have the latest firmware, v2.1. Can we have a firmware update that enable us to format in WinXP so we don't have to use a format CF card?

M Boyle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,264
Like?
RTFM
In reply to Daniel, Feb 15, 2006

int he last week ive read threads on this and theyve said the manual has the Howto in it by pushing the right buttons it formats itself
--
'Beware of the oldman with one gun\camera..He knows how to use it'

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim T
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,232Gear list
Like?
xp generally doesn't do Fat32
In reply to M Boyle, Feb 15, 2006

To be truly portable, formating with the WinXP NTFS will likely mean it won't work in a lot of computers. Therefore, the manf have programmed the format in the firmware for FAT32.

Don't know what the big deal is with the formating in WINXP. I just installed a new hdd in my Hyperdrive HD80 copied the Format file downloaded from the website from my PC onto an xD card, followed the instructions on page 45, followed by the page 16, 17, 18 instructions and the drive is formated. Simple.

As far as wanting to be able to format the Hyperdrive in WinXP this is similar to the desire to want format a memory card in a card reader, but almost all recommendations are to format it in the camera to be safe. With the Hyperdrive it's a similar situation. It's usually better to use the format software provided by the firmware in the device used.

Jim T's gear list:Jim T's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10 Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +11 more
5D DjD
Contributing MemberPosts: 653
Like?
Re: Can't format Hyperdrive in WinXP
In reply to Daniel, Feb 16, 2006

Daniel wrote:

It it just me or we can't format Hyperdrive in WinXP? I have the
latest firmware, v2.1. Can we have a firmware update that enable
us to format in WinXP so we don't have to use a format CF card?

I found this to be true as well but like others feel it's not a big deal.

A while back I put together a usb external drive and ran into the same issue sort of. All the hard drives I used in the external box couldn't be windows xp formatted via the usb connection. I returned the drive case as faulty but now wonder if there is more to it. I know you can buy external usb drives pre installed in a case that will format.

I don't know if it's a firmware or hardware issue so can't answer your 2nd question.
--
...Dennis

John Bean (UK)
Forum ProPosts: 18,034
Like?
In reply to Daniel, Feb 16, 2006

Daniel wrote:

It it just me or we can't format Hyperdrive in WinXP?

Because WinXP can't format a large FAT32 partition. It can use any size FAT32 partition but it can't format one larger than 32GB.

Can we have a firmware update that enable
us to format in WinXP so we don't have to use a format CF card?

Ask Bill Gates - it's his restriction, not Sanho's

-- hide signature --

John Bean

PAW 2006 Week 6:

PAW index page: http://waterfoot.smugmug.com/paw
Latest walkabout: http://waterfoot.smugmug.com/gallery/816091

Robert Barnett
Senior MemberPosts: 2,441
Like?
In reply to Daniel, Feb 18, 2006

You can't format it with your computer. You have to copy a special file to a memory card and then put it in the unit and press the rocker switch. This will trigger the formatting of the drive. Read the instructions, it tells you how to do this.

Robert

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads