Olympus E500 or Canon 350D

Started Jan 30, 2006 | Discussions
DURBAN
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Olympus E500 or Canon 350D
Jan 30, 2006

i am about to buy my first SLR Digital camera and can't decide between the 2 above. I am looking at getting the twin kit of one or the other....as can't spend much more than that. I have been recommened both by different users. They both seem really good. Help...what do you recommend and why.
Thanks

tfinch2
Contributing MemberPosts: 689
Like?
Re: Olympus E500 or Canon 350D
In reply to DURBAN, Jan 30, 2006

I would hold both cameras and see which one you like better. I've never held an E-500 before, but the 350D feels like a little toy. My thumb gets cramped when I hold it.
--
Travis - E-300

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cseymore
Forum MemberPosts: 79Gear list
Like?
In reply to tfinch2, Jan 30, 2006

I would have to agree. The 350 xt is not meant for the big time. Its really a dSLR disguised as a consumer camera. The reason it sells so well is because its fitting that niche.... mostly women....

I for one was going to buy a 350 xt, but I ended up buying a E-300(the pre-cursor to the E-500) because it felt super sturdy and it just felt nice and well built in my hands. The XT was cheap and plasticy(sp?)... those are my 2 cents=)

-- hide signature --

I'ts not the camera... its how you use it.'

cseymore's gear list:cseymore's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5
dgrogers
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,652
Like?

Either will probably make you happy. Canon will give you better high ISO shots, but Oly will give you that rich Oly color and you won't have to worry about cleaining the sensor.

DURBAN wrote:

i am about to buy my first SLR Digital camera and can't decide
between the 2 above. I am looking at getting the twin kit of one or
the other....as can't spend much more than that. I have been
recommened both by different users. They both seem really good.
Help...what do you recommend and why.
Thanks

-- hide signature --
Oliverk
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?

I had to make the exactly same decision about 3 month ago. (I also had the Nikon D50 in the mix). The moment I had them all side by side in a shop there was no more doubt. I got the E-500 and love it.

I had OM-1, OM2n, and Stylus cameras before. I had no idea that the dSLR cameras are so much better than the 35mm cameras I have.

stefaan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,136
Like?

That should be an easy choice.
It depends on whether you want/need either 4:3 or 3:2 format shots.
I would say that is VERY important and determines the choice in this case.

(I know there is PS, but would you like to cut for every shot to the desired format ?)

highsee3
Senior MemberPosts: 2,589
Like?
Look at the lenses
In reply to stefaan, Jan 30, 2006

The Oly kit lenses are better. You can get the 2 lens kit and you'll be all set.

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/olympus_1445_3556/index.htm

Oly kit lens

"Regarding its price tag the Olympus 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 is a very good deal with a good build quality combined with a very decent optical performance."

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/olympus_40150_3545/index.htm

Oly kit lens

" At the end of the day you get what you pay for though the price-performance ratio is very good with this lens."

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/canon_1855_3556/index.htm

Canon kit lens

"The price tag certainly shows up in the build quality. In other words - this lens is not only cheap it also feels that way. The inner barrel wobbles quite a bit for instance"
--
http://www.highsee3.smugmug.com

'A camera maker that simply copies others' idea has no right to call itself an original
maker in the first place.' -Mr. Maitani, creator of the OM photographic system.

stefano888
Senior MemberPosts: 1,007Gear list
Like?

DURBAN wrote:

Thanks

When you enter a SLR system the most important things to consider are the lenses. All Olympus lenses are designed for this system and are very good. If this is your first DSLR I think E-500 is the best bet. When in the future you will feel the need of another lens there are plenty in the E-System.

Very important is also the Supersonic wave filter that automatically eliminates dust in the sensor when you turn on the camera (only Olympus has it).

So you have to go to the shop, try in your hands the two cameras and decide yourself.

-- hide signature --

(equipment in profile)

stefano-italy

stefano888's gear list:stefano888's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 8mm 1:3.5 Fisheye +8 more
twonker
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,638
Like?
also look at E-1
In reply to stefano888, Jan 30, 2006

If you think you're preferring Oly, then consider also the E-1 as there are some great deals out there if you can find them, e.g E-1 body only UKĀ£499.
--
watching-the-time.blogtog.com

Henrix
Forum MemberPosts: 86
Like?

When i bought my camera last december i had two options, the E-500 or the 350D, the one thing that made a huge difference for me was the size of the cameras, the 350D didn't fit in my hand that well and i thought it was a bit to small, the E-500 on the other hand was excellent, i love it :).. and btw this is my first camera i own, and i am very happy with it, and it was cheaper than the 350D. Oh and i got the 2 lens kit. But i would suggest you go to a store a try how both of them fit in your hand..

-- hide signature --

For we kill with the skill to survive.

helmus
Regular MemberPosts: 305Gear list
Like?

I have both, the OLY E500 with 11-22 and 14-54 and the 350D with some "L" lenses.

In my humble opinion the 350D is the better choise. Clearly the better results in resolution and sharpness. Have a look at the "compared to" in Steves E500 review.
Canon has "IS" lenses, Olympus not!

The Olympus wide angle zooms are clearly better than the Canon zooms but Olympus has not a camera body that can utilize this excellent lens performance.

My tip: Read Steves revieiws about both cameras and go to a camera store and play with both systems.
You can take good pictures with both camera systems.

Best Regards
Helmut

helmus's gear list:helmus's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +12 more
RvdWal
Regular MemberPosts: 143
Like?
In reply to helmus, Jan 30, 2006

I had the same question a couple of weeks ago. Descided to buy the E500 because:

• felt better (Canon is just to cramped even if the dimensions are about the same)

• two lens kit cheaper and lens quality seems better

• 2,5 inch lcd

• E500 was pretty new whilst the Canon had been around for a bit.

My neighbours have the D70s en the 350D. Picture quality is all about the same. Though the Nikon focusses alot quicker than the Oly and the Canon pictures are usually a liitle sharper. But for this difference they pais 200 euro's more than I did on my two lens kit (they only got one, and still paid more)

I love the E500

Another pro for Oly is that this forum seems alot more friendly and people really are willing to help.....that finally made me go over to Oly.

Ramon

highsee3
Senior MemberPosts: 2,589
Like?
In reply to RvdWal, Jan 30, 2006

RvdWal wrote:

Another pro for Oly is that this forum seems alot more friendly and
people really are willing to help.....that finally made me go over
to Oly.

Ramon

Another little pro that people don't talk much about is repair service and international warrenty. I've used both Canon and Olympus repair service more than once, and I prefer Olympus. I got two warrenty repairs done in one week. (both were for Oly p&s cameras) I sent my Canon Elan 7 in for AF calibration and it took 5 weeks.

Maybe I just got lucky with Oly, but they seem pretty fast with repairs.

-- hide signature --

http://www.highsee3.smugmug.com

'A camera maker that simply copies others' idea has no right to call itself an original
maker in the first place.' -Mr. Maitani, creator of the OM photographic system.

Joe B T
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,948
Like?
In reply to Oliverk, Jan 30, 2006

Not better, just different. I often times go out shooting with a friend of mine, who for some reason, love to take pictures of me. Normally, I can hand her one of my DSLRs, and she can Point & Shoot.

The other day, we were out and all I had with me was the OM1. It was a very nice sunnyday, and we hit a shaded area, where she wanted to take a picture of me. I asked her to use her point & shoot camera, which she reminded me she forgot. She wanted to use the OM1 because it looked so cute.

I had to set everything for her. We switched locations 4 or 5 times, so I could set the Aperture and shutter speed and manually focus for her.

The good thing about it all, she quickly lost interest in using it, but now she keeps asking questions about it.

I had OM-1, OM2n, and Stylus cameras before. I had no idea that the
dSLR cameras are so much better than the 35mm cameras I have.

-- hide signature --

'Street Photographers: Such photographers use the theater of the street as their subject matter, transforming the pathos, tension, mystery, and inadvertent humor of real life into images of drama and insight into the human condition.'
'January 18, 2002 should forever be remembered as The Day Photography Died.

As of that day, the Olympus OM System, which single-handedly defined late 20th century camera design, is no more. Just type 'Olympus OM1' into Google.com, and marvel at the virtual shrines erected to the OM1 and its sister cameras and you WILL appreciate why the 'Olympus M System' was THE GREATEST 35mm SLR SYSTEM IN THE WORLD ... EVER.'
R.I.P OM System.' John from UK

fiebl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,923
Like?

DURBAN,
I understand that you buy your first SLR-type camera.

In case that you do not have previous personal experiences in lugging around quite heavy and bulky DSLR equipment try to borrow some and 'test-drive' it for a day.

You may even see a benefit in having a limited budget because cheaper lenses are usually more compact and considerably lighter than the more expensive glass.

The 4/3 system has an advantage here because of the 'cropping'-factor of 2 vs. 1.6 of the Canon because smaller physical focal length of lenses will cover a given zoom range with lighter lenses (in equiv. to 35 mm film measurement).

Regards, Guenter

DURBAN wrote:

Thanks

RvdWal
Regular MemberPosts: 143
Like?
In reply to fiebl, Jan 30, 2006

Have you also asked this question on the Canon Forum?

They would probably say the same about the Oly that we say about the Canon

You should really FEEL them for yourself

Quality of both is great

Remember that the point and shoot cmera's are easier to use and you will have to learn how to use a DSLR. Don't be disappointed with your first shots.

Post them and the forum helps you do better.

I' ve learned alot allready from everyone here (and am still learning) and it helps in the quality of the pics

E300
Regular MemberPosts: 488
Like?
In reply to helmus, Jan 30, 2006

helmus wrote:

I have both, the OLY E500 with 11-22 and 14-54 and the 350D with
some "L" lenses.
In my humble opinion the 350D is the better choise. Clearly the
better results in resolution and sharpness. Have a look at the
"compared to" in Steves E500 review.
Canon has "IS" lenses, Olympus not!
The Olympus wide angle zooms are clearly better than the Canon
zooms but Olympus has not a camera body that can utilize this
excellent lens performance.
My tip: Read Steves revieiws about both cameras and go to a camera
store and play with both systems.
You can take good pictures with both camera systems.

Best Regards
Helmut

Ok, Can you please tell me if the the 350D Kit lens has IS ? Otherwise this comment is simply blowing smoke.

Grab your CF card, go to a store and take a handful of pictures with each camera and see for yourself.

What actually swayed me to the Oly 4/3 system is the fact that DECENT C Glass is a LOT more expensive than the Oly Glass for the same equivalent Focal length (remembering the 2x OLY multiple and the 1.5X C multiplier)

Go on, check the cost of a 50-200 f2.8-3.5 Oly v's a 70-300 Piece of C glass.

Go and google

EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
50-200 F2.8-3.5 Olympus

I know these 2 lens' are not identical, but I figure they are close enough of a direct comparison Pro quality lens to get the picture

The Canon Glass is listed at $1130 at Amazon, and the Oly Glass is listed at $849

Yes, there is in fact a huge price difference in Favour of Oly, along with a great weight advantage. I certainly didn't want to be hauling around a lens any heavier than I have to, and I didn't want to pay an extra 25% for a Lens of equivalent Effective Focal Length.

-- hide signature --

My Photoblog with a daily picture http://photoblog.shrinkpictures.com

nbarr
Junior MemberPosts: 47
Like?

Yesterday I was in a shop comparing the two cameras in my hand. While I haven't bought any of them yet (probably next month), I ended up deciding for the E-500. The build quality, size, ergonomy just feels better. But this is a very subjective thing, and a person with smaller hands than I have will probably feel different.

Also the value for money is very good.
--
Blog: http://igrejasimples.blogspot.com
Photo gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nbarreto/

SuPrBuGmAn
Regular MemberPosts: 479
Like?

I came across this same decision in Sept, with the D50 in the mix. Once I picked up the 350D, my decision was immediately down to the E500 and D50 as far as build quality and how it felt. The 350D was too small, too cramped, and too cheap feeling. I looked at the picture comparisons here and read the forums. While the 350Ds resolution was better out of the camera, the colors were dull and lifeless. Not so with the E500. I wasn't impressed with the D50 pictures compared to the E500 as well. The E500 seemed to have everything I wanted, decent glass from the start with a very reasonable price, quality build and feel, ability to take wonderful pictures with Oly coloring, 8mp, and the fact that it took CF and xD cards was a plus since I already had a few of both.

-- hide signature --

Olympus E500
-Zuiko 14-45mm f3.5-5.6
-Zuiko 40-150mm f3.5-4.5
-Zuiko 50mm f2
-Sigma 55-200mm f4-5.6 DC

Olympus C5060WZ
-Olympus PT020 UW Housing

TheoC
Contributing MemberPosts: 674
Like?
In reply to nbarr, Jan 30, 2006

These are two excellent dslr's. If you go for the e-500 just make sure it comes with the 14-45 and not the 17-45 kit lens. And also, check that it comes with the li-ion battery and charger. Here in the UK one normally sees this stripped-down version, so be aware if you buy on-line. The twin lens kit is supposed to be very good. Canon has the better lens selection especially for fast primes from third-party manufacturers. The fastest you get for Oly is f2. But you can get an OM to 4/3 adapter and use some old and wonderful OM Zuikos. You can do that with the Canon eos too. But if you want to go just for the kit, then I would say go for the Oly. I use Canon 10d and Oly e-20. Can't be happier. Theo

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads