>> Challenge 102 information <<

Started Sep 23, 2005 | Discussions
jesusv
Senior MemberPosts: 2,338
Like?
>> Challenge 102 information <<
Sep 23, 2005

Challenge 102 information :

Thanks, Roberta, for a great job hosting Challenge 101. It was a fun topic, the photos were wonderful and you made it a real success. We'll do our best to maintain the very high standard you have set. IR, B&W and Sepia was an excellent idea that helped us grow our photographic skills.

I'd like to welcome Helen Betts as co-host of this challenge. Helen is well known for her contributions to the challenges and is always there with her wonderful photos and commentaries. I'm very honored to have Helen and am positive she is key to making this challenge a success. Before anybody starts work on Challenge 102, please review the Challenge 101 results thread at http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1009&message=15141480 Congratulations to all participants, and thanks again, Roberta.

And now, the Challenge 102 assignment: "Doors, Windows and Openings on Life"

The challenge of this theme is to take an effective photograph of a door and/or windows. Doors and windows can be "open" or "closed," "actual" or "figurative." This subject is wide open, and you can customize your interpretation of it. This theme allows everybody to participate with minimal restrictions -- your imagination is the only limitation. Please get involved, have some fun and share your results. Have fun with our 102nd challenge. EVERYONE is welcome!

Challenge 102 began at 14:00 AM Friday, September 23, 2005, that is, 14:00 in everyone's respective time zone. The galleries should be set up sometime on Friday. Everyone will then have two full weekends to capture images, regardless of time zone. We really want to see all your photos!

GUIDELINES

These guidelines are meant to help things run smoothly for all and to serve as a handy reference to answer common questions. Thanks for reading thru all this stuff again:

• Up to three (3) images are allowed in each of the two galleries (Eligible and Exhibition). Each photographer can choose whether to enter one or more photos per gallery. This should generally accommodate everyone's personal style and approach to the challenges -- whatever works best to make the challenge more fun for you.

• You can enter photos anonymously if you want to. If you do, we're asking you to send either of us an email indicating your identity for any anonymous entries. Addresses are in our forum profiles.

• Collaborating on entries is also welcome. An artist can be involved in up to three collaborative efforts in addition to the usual three single images allowed in each gallery.

• Those who prefer to have critiques of their photos be more "critical" feel free to mark the image title with an asterisk ( ).

• Please put your name (identity choice) and a unique title on each of your image thumbnails. It really helps to keep voting problem issues to a minimum.

• Please resize your images to no larger than 800 pixels on the longest side before uploading to Pbase; it can be larger if a panoramic image. This cuts down on too much usage and helps to preserve the quality of your image upload for best viewing.

• Please keep your questions and concerns posted in this thread for the best response. One of us will address them as soon as possible.

• Challenge time period will run from 12:00 a.m. (any time zone) Friday, September 23, 2005, thru Tuesday, October 11, 2005, at 19:00 GMT. Timetables will be posted in the galleries. A separate voting thread will be posted shortly after the end of the Challenge period.

• Eligible images must be taken with a Sony digital camera and within the challenge time period. The winner of this gallery will host the next Challenge. All entries should include a date indicating when the photo was taken; "EXIF" data attached would be ideal (if available). EXIF data is a big help to a lot of viewers for a variety of reasons. If the EXIF data is not preserved, try writing it into your caption (by referring to the original photo's EXIF data that should be available before doing any photo processing). At the very least, please include the date the photo was taken on all the eligible photos. This is a popular request, so we're passing along your requests here.

THANKS, everybody, for your friendly cooperation.

• Exhibition images can be taken with any camera at any time. If you do not want to host the next Challenge, this is the gallery you should post your images to.

• We'll post a link to the Challenge 102 gallery page as soon as the galleries are set up.

• Here's a link to the main STF Challenge galleries page:

http://www.pbase.com/stfchallenge/root

• To see fully illustrated upload instructions, visit:

http://www.PBase.com/stfchallenge/how_to_post

Everyone is welcome to join in, enjoy and have fun sharing their photos. All skill levels are equally welcome. The Challenges are about fun and sharing our common interest in photography. We look forward to your creative interpretations and participation in challenge 102!

Thanks & have fun with #102,

Helen Betts & Jesus Valenciano

-- hide signature --
gk08
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,176Gear list
Like?
nice choice jesus [nt]
In reply to jesusv, Sep 23, 2005
 gk08's gear list:gk08's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 22,045Gear list
Like?
Well at least I know!...

I was wondering if the next challenge theme would be announced before I leave on a 1-week cruise tomorrow, so I could possibly participate while I'm on my trip.

Thank you!

I don't know if my mind will be too much on partying and relaxing, but I'll try to keep the theme idea in the back of my mind, so if something pops into my view while walking through the islands, it may be worth photographing and dropping in the challenge.

Don't know if I'll get online past this point...I'm at work and busy. I took a minute to see who won the challenge (that I unfortunately never had the time to vote in with my laundry, ironing, and house cleanup before the trip)...tonight will be packing, and tomorrow morning is buh-bye!

Talk to you all in a week!

-- hide signature --

Justin

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Cheryl Meisel
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,021
Like?
Re: Sounds GREAT :) n/t
-- hide signature --

Cherylm

I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business
http://www.pbase.com/cherylm

Shu Miller
Regular MemberPosts: 351
Like?
Error in uploading

I just attempted to upload an image into the "Exhibition" part of the new challenge but it immediately became a header. Please move it into its proper place or let me know how to delete and reenter. I'm so embarrassed!
--
Shu

Yehuda Katz
Forum ProPosts: 25,916
Like?
Jesus,

My warmest congratulations for your winning entry.

Take care, Haver,
Yehuda

HelenPB
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,864
Like?
Re: Error in uploading
In reply to Shu Miller, Sep 23, 2005

I took care of it for you. No need to be embarrassed!

Helen
--
http://pbase.com/helenpb
D 70, F 717, H 1, too many lenses, PS CS2, Epson 1280

gk08
Like?
up [nt]
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +3 more
jesusv
Like?
Direct links to galleries.
Roberta F.
Senior MemberPosts: 2,054
Like?
Re: >> Challenge 102 information <<

Jesus and Helen,

Congrats again. I loved both of your images! This is a wonderful topic and one of my favorites. Should be fun

-- hide signature --

Roberta
http://www.pbase.com/roberta
Canon 1D Mark II, Canon 10D, Canon A80, Sony 717, Olympus C-3000, Nikon FM

HelenPB
Like?
Re: >> Challenge 102 information <<
In reply to Roberta F., Sep 23, 2005

Thanks, Roberta. I really appreciated your support during the challenge!

What a coincidence about the theme ;-)).

Helen

Roberta F. wrote:

Jesus and Helen,
Congrats again. I loved both of your images! This is a wonderful
topic and one of my favorites. Should be fun

-- hide signature --

gk08
Like?
for the night folks [nt]
In reply to jesusv, Sep 24, 2005
jesusv
Like?
for the morning folks (nt)
-- hide signature --
jrdu
Forum ProPosts: 20,785
Like?
Well, I opened the door in Eligible

I feel like such an eager beaver, posting first.
John Dunn

jesusv
Like?
I cannot imagine a better ways to start. a real #1.
In reply to jrdu, Sep 24, 2005
-- hide signature --
gk08
Like?
nice one John [nt]
In reply to jrdu, Sep 25, 2005
HelenPB
Like?
A window of opportunity [nt]
In reply to jesusv, Sep 25, 2005
-- hide signature --

HelenPB