Damaged c8080 question

Started Jul 16, 2005 | Discussions
jgs2n
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
Damaged c8080 question
Jul 16, 2005

My wife bent a pin on the CF connector by changing the cf card. Because the camera is still under warranty, I sent it to olympus. They said that Memory card pin out of alignment is "outside of the terms of the warranty."

They say that this will cost $292.12 to fix. I have been an Olympus supporter since my first c3030 and cannot believe that this is not covered. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any suggestions would be appreciated. This may be my last olympus camera. What is the point of having a warranty?

WhoppaHead
Contributing MemberPosts: 817
Like?
That's a heck of a predicament!....
In reply to jgs2n, Jul 16, 2005

Do you not have a camera shop locally that has technicians? I was in our local camera shop recently and the technician was fixing such a condition. Took all of about 30 seconds.

Seems as though this is the achilles heel of the CF, and a strong point in favor of being able to use the XD also.
Good Luck!
--
Regards,
W_H

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Marvin Thomas
Senior MemberPosts: 2,851Gear list
Like?
I guess we need to heed your warning
In reply to jgs2n, Jul 17, 2005

I presumed the CF interface was nearly infallible. The last time I took my CF card to Sam's Club to have some photos printed, all of their pc's had bent pins in the CF slot. They loaned me a PCMCIA adapter so I could print. I had no idea they were that fragile.
--

C-2100uz, C-5050 Zoom, B-Macro, B-300, WCON-07, FDL-01, FL-40, FL-CB05 and believe it or not, a tripod.
Photos hosted by Photoshare at http://www.photoshare.co.nz

http://www.c5050andanuzi.MarvsFavourites.photoshare.co.nz http://members19.clubphoto.com/marvin654655/guest-1.phtml

Marvin Thomas's gear list:Marvin Thomas's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D50 Nikon D5100 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED +11 more
Inigo Montoya
Forum ProPosts: 13,570
Like?
They may have a point...

It all depends on how you look at it.

If as you said, your wife bent the pin, then it is not a defect in material or workmanship that is at issue, and as such, it's not a warranted item. Especially if by mistake the card was inserted upside down, backwards, etc.
Same would be true if you'd dropped it, etc.

On the other hand, if "as built", there was a "pin out of alignment" and that defect in workmanship is what caused the pin to get bent, it should be covered.

A fine line between the two, and something that Olympus has apparently decided to say was caused by user action.

Had you noticed any previous tightness/difficulty in inserting cards? How long have you had the camera (e.g. how many CF insert/removal cycles have you gone through)?

If it's fairly new, or you rarely swapped out cards (e.g. upload images from the camera via USB) I'd argue that the socket was/is at fault.

jgs2n wrote:

My wife bent a pin on the CF connector by changing the cf card.
Because the camera is still under warranty, I sent it to olympus.
They said that Memory card pin out of alignment is "outside of the
terms of the warranty."
They say that this will cost $292.12 to fix. I have been an
Olympus supporter since my first c3030 and cannot believe that this
is not covered. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any
suggestions would be appreciated. This may be my last olympus
camera. What is the point of having a warranty?

rander3127
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,628
Like?
Re: That's a heck of a predicament!....
In reply to WhoppaHead, Jul 17, 2005

WhoppaHead wrote:

Do you not have a camera shop locally that has technicians? I was
in our local camera shop recently and the technician was fixing
such a condition. Took all of about 30 seconds.
Seems as though this is the achilles heel of the CF, and a strong
point in favor of being able to use the XD also.
Good Luck!
--
Regards,
W_H

-- hide signature --

There is no question the xD card will replace the CF at some point.
Smaller, no lose internals, no "pins" probably cheaper to make for both
the card makers and camera mfgs. Just like the microdrive, it's days
are numbered.
-Rich

Inigo Montoya
Like?
Re: That's a heck of a predicament!....
In reply to rander3127, Jul 17, 2005

I have to disagree -- there's a big question.

xD is an Olympus/Fuji product. I don't think any other manufacturer supports the format. Other than Sony -- which is big enough to support memory sticks on its own -- everyone else is using either CF or SD/MMC.

I don't see Canon, Nikon, etc. suddenly backing the format -- why give Olympus/Fuji the help?

Smaller? Yes, but my Canon S410 is plenty small and takes CF just fine.

"No lose internals?" I'm not sure what you're talking about there. There shouldn't be anything "loose" or moving in a CF card (microdrives use the form factor, but are not flash memory).

Pins -- there are still "pins" of a sort with all of the formats -- something in the slot has to close the circuit with the card's contacts.

The microdrive's days are numbered? A 4GB microdrive costs around $190. The same size in flash memory goes for around $300 in a slow model, and $440-$450 for top speed. Microdrives will likely continue to be the GB/$ leader for some time.

Currently, does xD even go above 1G?

rander3127 wrote:

-- hide signature --

There is no question the xD card will replace the CF at some point.
Smaller, no lose internals, no "pins" probably cheaper to make for
both
the card makers and camera mfgs. Just like the microdrive, it's days
are numbered.
-Rich

jgs2n
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
Re: They may have a point...
In reply to Inigo Montoya, Jul 17, 2005

I see your point completely.

I have questioned my wife. She states that she put in the new card the same way that the old card was in. She claims that she did not at any time use force.

More facts. The camera is only 4 months old. She was in Prague at the time of the incident and went to Olympus. They said that they could fix the camera under warranty but would need the warranty/sales information.

I have dealt with many companies over the years and I think that if there is not clear negligence (dropped camera etc), the company should honor their warranty. Most do.

Dave Chilvers
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,175Gear list
Like?
Re: They may have a point...

jgs

I get how you feel but like a new car maybe, after taking delivery and finding a curbed ali wheel I doubt the company would pay. BTW I don't think you can put a card in the wrong way??
--
Dave C

Dave Chilvers's gear list:Dave Chilvers's gear list
Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
tex
tex
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,215Gear list
Like?
let me agree and disagree

i do think oly should fix this for you even if it is not really their problem---just smart customer relations to do so and really costs them little and keeps you brand loyal and enthusiastic. they've ruined that now for you, even if they now fix it for free. so short sighted! like all corporations nowadays.

but: i never let my wife or children EVEN TOUCH my photo gear unless it's under my direct supervision---as my 15 year old did as she was my "photo assistant while shooting in turkey over the last 3 weeks---and really, she was only handling my filters and tripod and light meter(i was also shooting with my fuji rangefinder).

they can all buy their own gear! I've read posts like this before, family members getting their hands on things with bad outcomes---allowing serious pro level gear to be handled by those not intimately familiar with it is always a bad idea. and the 8080 is pro level gear.

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Pentax 645Z Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +16 more
Focusedfx
Regular MemberPosts: 217
Like?
Re: let me agree and disagree
In reply to tex, Jul 17, 2005

tex wrote:

i do think oly should fix this for you even if it is not really
their problem---just smart customer relations to do so and really
costs them little and keeps you brand loyal and enthusiastic.
they've ruined that now for you, even if they now fix it for free.
so short sighted! like all corporations nowadays.

I sincerely agree with this portion of your pov, not that I don't agree with the other-- but it doesn't apply to me

I look at this as a goodwill gesture, that the manufacturer should indeed cover. Lots of high dollar audio manufacturers cover this sort of thing, as well as I while in the import auto biz.

Sometimes I have had better luck by either reaching another person that is having a better day-- or a higher up such as a supervisor.

Be persistant and remember, the squeaky wheel oft times does get the grease!

Please keep us updated,

Fx

Rossuziers
Forum ProPosts: 12,777Gear list
Like?
Oly's support can be fickle...

Weather they're justified or not, I'm not going to argue but I have expierienced differing results for the same problem by talking to different reps.... But, that has always been over the phone.... Keep calling till you get the desired result & take the name of said rep with the favorable result so when you send the cam in & they try to renig on that reps favorable word... Then call that rep to rectify the situiation.... There really shouldn't be any possible way to bend the pins if the slot was built to the close tolerances it should be buit to IMHO... It seems there's a bit more room in the 8080s CF slot than there is in my e100rs's...

If all that fails & you don't want to pay.... Buy a 1gig xd or two & forget about the CF.... When the 8080 dies look to another company.... It's tough though... I vowed to abandon Oly when they chose to improve the c700 series instead of elaborating on the C2100uz but then the e100rs price fell to a third of it's original price & then they produced the 8080 & it's price halved & although totally opposite of my normal wants in reach still the best pic on the planet IMHO for enough of the situations that I could use it for.... I do believe that'll be it with me & Oly though.... Several other companies are nearing the exhalted heights of a clear Uzi upgrade And when it dies or something clearly betters it before that. I'll be done with Oly.... Except if they put a 15x stabilized lens on the 8080 & quicken & improve the low-light focus to Uzi-esque standards without any pic quality loss... Then like an idiot I'll bite once more.... ;-}
--

rrossr@myway.com   http://www.pbase.com/rrawzz ****

Rossuziers's gear list:Rossuziers's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50
JackAce
Contributing MemberPosts: 684
Like?
Re: Damaged c8080 question
In reply to jgs2n, Jul 19, 2005

I had exactly the same problem (except the repair cost would have been

round $400 here). I decided to have a go with a needle and managed to pull the bent pin straight. Fitted then carefully the CF card back into place and... it works! Just as usual, no problems/slowness/anything whatsoever. I am afraid the pin didn't like the bending and is close to coming off altogether (felt like that), so I'm not planning to get that CF card out ever, until I get a new camera. Hopefully I won't have to regret repairing it myself.

Hope this helps,

-- hide signature --

Jack
-----------------------------
C-8080 owner
Gotland... de' du!

Barry Stewart
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,152Gear list
Like?
Can't put card in wrong
In reply to JackAce, Jul 19, 2005

I'm assuming my e-10, e100 and e-1 are the same... there seems to be only one way to put the card in. Upside down, there are no side slots. Backwards, the slots don't line up.

But D'oh! Sideways, the card falls right in the hole and COULD end up bending a pin. So, user error could be a culprit here. I'd go for the 30-second fix as mentioned above.
--
Barry

Equipment in profile.

Barry Stewart's gear list:Barry Stewart's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 +10 more
JackAce
Contributing MemberPosts: 684
Like?
Re: Can't put card in wrong
In reply to Barry Stewart, Jul 20, 2005

I didn't insert my CF card sideways, put it in just as usual . This is why I think Olympus should honour the warranty... However, it is up to Olympus techs to decide whether or not it is a warranty issue.

That said, I do believe camera manufacturers would profit greatly from more generous warranty policy. After all, I don't think many fraudsters would bother to buy an expensive Olympus camera, then deliberately damage it and send it in for repair. There's no gain.
--

Jack
-----------------------------
C-8080 owner
Gotland... de' du!

Inigo Montoya
Like?
Re: Can't put card in wrong
In reply to JackAce, Jul 21, 2005

JackAce wrote:

I don't think many
fraudsters would bother to buy an expensive Olympus camera, then
deliberately damage it and send it in for repair. There's no gain.

No, but there's a lot to lose if Olympus or other makers have to pay for damage caused by every clumsy, inept, or simply unfortunate (real accidents do happen) user.

Manufacturer warrantees are for "defects in materials or workmanship", not insurance policies against accidents or misuse.
Still, Olympus could do better in a lot of cases I've read about here.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads