Sigma 30mm 1.4...Nice Lens (Pics)

Started Jul 3, 2005 | Discussions
TAFB
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?
Sigma 30mm 1.4...Nice Lens (Pics)
Jul 3, 2005

I received the Sigma 30mm yesterday. I have attempted to test/compare it to the Canon 50mm/1.4 and the Tamron 28-75/2.8 (no 35L here, sorry). The Sigma is sharper than the Tamron and focuses faster. The Sigma seems sharper than the Canon at 1.4 and focuses faster than the Canon. The Sigma is slightly larger than the Canon, and the build quality of the Sigma seems to be better than the Canon 50mm/1.4. Here are some shots (all converted from RAW with RSE):

my standard test shot of the speed limit sign in front of my house with the Sigma at 2.8 (note purple spot on car reflection) 100% crop:

same with the Tamron (28 mm at 2.8, 100% crop):

No surprise that the prime (Sigma) was sharper than the zoom (Tamron)...the Tamron handled the car reflection better than the Sigma.

my standard box shot with the Sigma (at 2.8, 100% crop):

same with the Tamron (at 2.8, 100% crop):

again, the Sigma/prime seems sharper than the Tamron zoom.

my standard indoor flower shot with Sigma at 1.4/ISO 100/100% crop:

same flower, different lens...Canon 50mm at 1.4/ISO 200/100% crop (note...i must have changed the ISO in between and forgot to put it back to 100 for this shot...based on the other shots I took, I don't think this made a difference...Sigma was consistently sharper):

the Sigma seems sharper than the Canon at 1.4.

here is a 100% crop from the Sigma at 1.4 (first pic with no sharpening, second pic with standard RSE sharpening):

Some random Sigma pics:

100% crop of above:

another 1.4 shot:

The Sigma is a nice, sharp lens, and the HSM focusing is fast. The only concern I have at this point is the CA/purple fringing at larger apertures with bright light.

Jun2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,207Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 30mm 1.4...Nice Lens (Pics)
In reply to TAFB, Jul 3, 2005

very nice indeed at f1.4. I will consider to buy one.

Jun2's gear list:Jun2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TimoH
Regular MemberPosts: 313
Like?
Re: Sigma 30mm 1.4...Nice Lens (Pics)

TAFB wrote:

The Sigma is a nice, sharp lens, and the HSM focusing is fast. The
only concern I have at this point is the CA/purple fringing at
larger apertures with bright light.

I would think that large apertures and bright light is quite a rare combination. In the first sample, I did not really notice much CA. Maybe it shows in 100% crop. (I'm used to the levels of CA that the Canon EF-S 17-85 produces at 17mm...)

Anyway, thanks for the sample pictures. Images like that certainly don't ease Sigma's backlog of orders on this lens

Timo

baker123
Contributing MemberPosts: 565Gear list
Like?
Second image out of focus?

I think the Sigma images are very sharp, but I'm wondering why the second image (Tamron at 28mm) shows zero detail in the window shutters. It doesn't look like motion blur, but it looks abnormally soft, even for the worst of wide zoom lenses. Is that typical of f/2.8 at that focal length with that lens?

baker123's gear list:baker123's gear list
Canon PowerShot A3300 IS Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 6D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +6 more
TAFB
Like?
Re: Second image out of focus?
In reply to baker123, Jul 3, 2005

the focus is on the speed limit sign. the camera was on a tripod with a timer, so there should not be any motion blur. at 100%, the zoom is softer than the prime. i have seen some posts about the Tamron 28-75 being soft at 2.8. my copy of the Tamron 28-75 is outstanding; i just don't expect it to be as sharp as the prime at 2.8 (and it wasn't). here are the original pics (resized)...tough to tell the differences at normal print size:

Tamron:

Sigma:

thw
thw
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,089
Like?
I heard the Tamron

28-75 is terrible wide open, but did not know it is this bad.

PeaceFrog
Forum ProPosts: 12,185
Like?
Re: I heard the Tamron
In reply to thw, Jul 3, 2005

The one I had was pretty darn good wide open and would appear to blow this one out of the water.

Greg

-- hide signature --
baker123
Contributing MemberPosts: 565Gear list
Like?
Re: Second image out of focus?

Now that I see how small the crop is, it's understandable. That Sigma really is good.

baker123's gear list:baker123's gear list
Canon PowerShot A3300 IS Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 6D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +6 more
kcwan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,780
Like?
Massive difference in colour

between the two lenses.

monky
Senior MemberPosts: 2,990Gear list
Like?
nice comparison...

i really wish i could convince myself to buy one.

however, its not full frame and only provides 2/3 stop over my 28/1.8... which i would lose money on should i replace it with the sigma...

impressive performance though.

ed

-- hide signature --

ed murphy ----------- AIM: monky9000

monky's gear list:monky's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +4 more
ed rader
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,918
Like?
you've heard?
In reply to thw, Jul 3, 2005

hear this -- mine is very good wide open.

ed rader

MartinM2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,430
Like?
Thanks...

Note you even have some moire appearing on the green window shutters..

I'm looking forward to the the lens, mine should be here on the 12th. Dumb me, I took the free ground shipping.

Thanks for comparing against the 50 1.4, sounds like this lens is going to be a real hit.

TAFB
Like?
In reply to PeaceFrog, Jul 3, 2005

like i said, my copy of the Tamron 28-75 is excellent. i don't want someone to think i am comparing the Sigma to a poor copy of the Tamron.

here is my Tamron at 2.8 (about 10 feet away from the plant; standard RSE sharpening applied):

here is a 100% crop of the same pic:

PeaceFrog
Forum ProPosts: 12,185
Like?

What camera and settings are you using? Maybe I am wrong but I remember the copy I had being better than that at f/2.8 when using my 20D.

Greg

-- hide signature --
TAFB
Like?
In reply to PeaceFrog, Jul 3, 2005

Full EXIF Info
Date/Time 09-May-2005 01:51:15
Make Canon
Model Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT
Flash Used No
Focal Length 75 mm
Exposure Time 1/800 sec
Aperture f/2.8
ISO Equivalent 100
Exposure Bias
White Balance (-1)
Metering Mode matrix (5)
JPEG Quality (6)
Exposure Program aperture priority (3)
Focus Distance

thw
thw
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,089
Like?
Re: you've heard?
In reply to ed rader, Jul 3, 2005

hear this -- mine is very good wide open.

Is that true at both 28 and 75 mm? If it's sharp, it'll be a very versatile lens for me.

TAFB
Like?
Update: Sigma 30mm 1.4...Nice Lens (Pics)
In reply to TAFB, Jul 4, 2005

I was taking some pics of my daughter and noticed that the lens seemed to backfocus...focus was locked on her eye, but her eye was not in focus (although her hairline was very sharp). so, I did some additional testing and have concluded that my lens backfocuses. a shame really because I love this lens. I most likely will try another copy.

Bigun
Regular MemberPosts: 438
Like?
Re: be careful not to jump too quickly...

If you were using this wide open you have to be very careful that the focus 'error' wasn't something unrelated to the lens. I remember when I first got an 85/1.8 how difficult it was to get accurate focus. I blamed the lens but the results somehow 'improved' after a week or so of practice. Things that can go wrong are:

a) the DOF is sooo shallow at 1.4 that any movement in the subject or camera moves the point of sharpest focus

b) the camera AF will sometimes lock onto a bit of the image that has higher contrast (hair is something I found my 85/1.8 locking on to instead of an eye on more than one occassion) - this is a camera limitation (note I didn't say camera problem) and not a lens issue

G.

TAFB wrote:

I was taking some pics of my daughter and noticed that the lens
seemed to backfocus...focus was locked on her eye, but her eye was
not in focus (although her hairline was very sharp). so, I did
some additional testing and have concluded that my lens
backfocuses. a shame really because I love this lens. I most
likely will try another copy.

-- hide signature --
Powerdoc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,876Gear list
Like?
Re: Update: Sigma 30mm 1.4...Nice Lens (Pics)

Thanks for your test, this lens is so sharp that some moire occurs.

Be carefull about the back focusing issue : the real AF aera of the sensor is larger than the one displayed by the red rectangle : it lead to many AF issue, especially with such a small DOF like the one you have at F1,4 (5 mm will do a difference on portraits).
--
I love the crop factor at the long end, I hate it in the wide range

Powerdoc's gear list:Powerdoc's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus PEN E-P1 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 +27 more
Powerdoc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,876Gear list
Like?
It's logical that the prime is better
In reply to PeaceFrog, Jul 4, 2005

The sigma DC 1,4 EX is a prime made for digital camera. It's logical that stopped down 2 times it's sharper than the Tamron wide open. If it was not the case, the Sigma prime will be a bad lens.

I own a good copy of the Canon 24-70 2,8 L, even if this lens is weak wide open at 70 mm, it's sharp at 35 mm (as sharp as my sigma 105 mm at the same aperture), but I am nearly sure that the sigma will be sharper.
--
I love the crop factor at the long end, I hate it in the wide range

Powerdoc's gear list:Powerdoc's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus PEN E-P1 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 +27 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads