GRETAG MACBETH Eye-One Display 1 $59.88

Started Jun 21, 2005 | Discussions
Jack W.
Senior MemberPosts: 2,024
Like?
GRETAG MACBETH Eye-One Display 1 $59.88
Jun 21, 2005

If you're looking for a monitor calibration set, J&R has it at $59.88:

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product_Id=4027168&JRSource=linkshare.datafeed.GMA+EOD1
Jack

Classic Man
Senior MemberPosts: 1,559
Like?
Any options for European customers?
In reply to Jack W., Jun 21, 2005

J&R do not ship outside the US. (SHAME!)

Am in Europe at the moment, any options for EU customers?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jack W.
Senior MemberPosts: 2,024
Like?
Re: Any options for European customers?
In reply to Classic Man, Jun 21, 2005

Don't know, but this unit is pretty cheap now just about everywhere.

B&H Photo has it for $79, I think, but you'll have to check their site to see if they ship to Europe.
Jack

Marly
Contributing MemberPosts: 877
Like?
Shipped to Canada from J&R
In reply to Jack W., Jun 22, 2005

I got the Eye-One Display 1 for $59.88 from J&R. http://www.JR.com

One word of caution though. They sent it through UPS and I got dinged for another $36.38. I had already paid J&R $11.50 for S&H. I didn't realize it until I posted on another forum here that UPS is a money grabber. It was classified as Import Charges. If J&R had sent it regular mail it would have cost me probably no more than our Provincial Tax.
Marly

Murray McCulloch
Senior MemberPosts: 1,152Gear list
Like?
EOD1 vs. EOD2 - how much difference?
In reply to Jack W., Jun 22, 2005

How much difference is there between the Eye One Display 1 and the EOD 2? I'm looking to buy my first monitor calibration tool, and I was going to get the EOD2. I'm an amateur and I have a Samsung 193P LCD that I want to calibrate. I don't need professional features, I just want to see what I'll get from my printer, which is an Epson R1800.

If anyone has experience with both models and can offer any advice, I'd be grateful.

Murray
--
http://www.pbase.com/mmcculloch

David Chien
Contributing MemberPosts: 503
Like?
Re: EOD1 vs. EOD2 - how much difference?
In reply to Murray McCulloch, Jun 22, 2005

http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/monitor_calibration_tools.htm

Here's a review of multiple color calibration tools and their performance across a range of CRT & LCD monitors.

Basically, I have tried the original Spyder and found it to perform as terribly as they found in their reviews - don't even bother! It really didn't do anything for my monitors at all

The ColorEyes Display ($320) and the Monaco Optix XR Pro ($350) were among the tops in performance - so you know what to buy if you have the money and truely want an excellent calibration.

The EOD1 is okay, but EOD2 is much better, 'is nearly the equal of the Optix XR" above (a top rated calibrator). EOD1 is running a average or less usually in most ratings here.

-- hide signature --

One thing I can tell people! If you're after accurate color, first thing is to get a color accurate monitor. In this case, most monitors nowadays with sRGB mode will get you 80-90% there. The quality LCD monitors like Eizo, Samsung will get you 90% there quite easily out of the box, and Apple Display monitors basically come out looking great w/o having to do anything.

CRTs mostly are the ones that require calibration and tuning - the nature of the RGB guns really don't maintain strict absolute colors and can vary quite a bit. LCD panel colors only depend on two things - the LCD crystals (which tend to stay the same over the lifetime of the monitor), and the backlight (which only tends to fade in intensity over the life) - thus more accurate because they tend to stay the same over time.

Japanese magazine reviews have already shown the color gamut curves of many LCD panels to be quite good and matching sRGB gamut quite closely, so even with a cheaper panel, you'll likely get a better out-of-box matching to the digicam's sRGB color gamut right away or with little tweaking.

----

Keep in mind that even after matching 'colors' accurately on any monitor, you'll never get 100% identical colors vs. prints!

Physically, the CYMK color gamut vs. RGB displays don't cover the same area, so you'll never get a 100% perfect match, even iwth the best calibration. You'll only get a 'proof' that is close to what you'll see in print, and that's about it.

----

People who run after these devices thinking it'll solve all their color problems won't be happy if they don't realize these points - your monitor will still not look 100% identical to your print, and you still have to 'guess' from the on-screen proof how it'll look printed.

Color cali. devices only lets your panel display the 'closest matching color' that it can to what the image colors are - nothing more than that.

---

That said, for the

For me, the problem of what's on screen vs. what's on print was solved simply by buying a new LCD panel that was sRGB accurate, and then setting everything else to sRGB mode. No extra equipment, to tweaking involved, and I can get great prints w/o doing anything.

Murray McCulloch
Senior MemberPosts: 1,152Gear list
Like?
Re: EOD1 vs. EOD2 - how much difference?
In reply to David Chien, Jun 25, 2005
boxofrocks
Contributing MemberPosts: 518
Like?
Thanks!
In reply to David Chien, Aug 11, 2005

Great help.

Carl Decker
Forum MemberPosts: 86Gear list
Like?
Anyone installed Eye-One Display 1 on Windows-7 ??
In reply to Jack W., Mar 11, 2013

to revive this genious thread

( maybe a bit funny, but perhaps someone knows a answer )

I have the GRETAG MACBETH Eye-One Display 1, bought it on Mai 24, 2004.
I just moved to a new PC with Windows 7-64.
It seems the Eye-One Display 1 is not useable because lack of drivers for Win7.
Today I wanted to use the Device but no USB driver could be found.
Anyone installed Eye-One Display 1 on Windows-7 ??

Regards.

Mitrajoon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,368
Like?
Re: Anyone installed Eye-One Display 1 on Windows-7 ??
In reply to Carl Decker, Mar 11, 2013

I have an Eye 1 that I bought around 2003 or 4.  Works fine with Windows 7.  There have been many software updates over the years.  Maybe you need to install the latest one.

-- hide signature --
Torsten Hoff
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,181Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mitrajoon, Mar 12, 2013

Same here -- I use a Eye-One Display1 under 64-bit Windows 7 without issue. The latest version of the software is available here:

http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=758&Action=support&SoftwareID=923

Torsten Hoff's gear list:Torsten Hoff's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 +14 more
Gerry Pasternack
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,440
Like?
In reply to Torsten Hoff, Mar 12, 2013

Does this software require an activation code?

Will it work with a DPT94 puck and associated W7 driver?

-- hide signature --

Gerry

Bob Collette
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,677Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gerry Pasternack, Mar 12, 2013

Gerry, there was a recent thread on installing the DTP-94 under Win8.  Take a look at the following: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/51010177

Bob Collette's gear list:Bob Collette's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 +4 more
Gerry Pasternack
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,440
Like?
In reply to Bob Collette, Mar 12, 2013

Thanks Bob

My DPT94 (and driver)  is installed on W7-64; uses Monaco-Optix software and appears to be working fine.

Just wondering if there is newer/ better (free - no authorization code needed) ) calibration software that could be used with this puck and driver.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

Carl Decker
Forum MemberPosts: 86Gear list
Like?
Thanks, it works Re: Anyone installed Eye-One Display 1 on Windows-7 ??
In reply to Torsten Hoff, Mar 12, 2013

Torsten Hoff wrote:

Same here -- I use a Eye-One Display1 under 64-bit Windows 7 without issue. The latest version of the software is available here:

http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=758&Action=support&SoftwareID=923

Thanks for the link - I installed it.

My Eye-One was quite expensive in the year 2004, so I am glad its still useable.

Torsten Hoff
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,181Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gerry Pasternack, Mar 12, 2013

Not that I remember.

Torsten Hoff's gear list:Torsten Hoff's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads