Query: Dust in brand new D70, known problem ?

Started Apr 8, 2005 | Discussions
Klaus Regular Member • Posts: 180
Query: Dust in brand new D70, known problem ?

Hi,

I bought my first DSLR two days ago, after a lot of research. A D70 with the KIT lens.

Besides: I had to decide between Rebel XT and D70. The Rebel's Kit Lens is ridiculos compared to the Nikon. And the ergonomics are a joke (made by marketing people, not engineers).

I'm aware of all the dust problems, and how to avoid dust of entering the camera (learned a lot from reading here in the forum). And I'm also aware that you have no chance to avoid dust completely.

But my camera had dozends of dust spots right out of the box. The only thing I did, was to mount the kit lens. A matter of seconds, camera pointed downwards. My office is nearly dust free, because I'm allergic on house dust mite. I'm absolutly sure, that the dust was in the camera right from the factory.

So I went to the shop, where I bought the camera. The sales guy is a real professional and very helpful and friendly. He has a lot of experience with all kind of camera techniques and he was instructed by an Nikon service technician, how to clean sensors. He does this often and with great success. This shop has a lot of professional Photograpers as customers.

He tried to clean the sensor of my D70 (very carefully) other and other (with special, absolut liquid free canned air, approved by Nikon service), for nearly more than one hour (cleaning, testing, cleaning, testing,...). But he didn't have a chance to get all the dust of the sensor. Some of the bunnies seem to stick to the surface, and they can only be moved arround.

He strictly declines other cleaning techniques. So the camera has to go to Nikon.

So far (not) so good. But now for the really strange part of the story. He had another brand new D70 in the shop. So we checked this one also. And believe it or not. Same tragedy, dozends of dust spots, and no chance to get the dust from the sensor with Nikon approved technique. So this one also has to go back to Nikon.

Next tuesday he will get the next D70's. Im curious if they have the same problem. I will post our results here.

I like to ask if anybody else had the same or similar problems.

We (I and the sales guy) would appreciate any information.
So thank's for your input.

Best Regards
Klaus

R Laing Veteran Member • Posts: 3,116
not uncommon

not uncommon

Anthony Shorten Forum Member • Posts: 81
Re: Query: Dust in brand new D70, known problem ?

Yeah the same thing happened to me, so i used my "Free" sensor clean up within one month of having it. Then six months later when i really needed it cleaned the repair agent wanted me to pay $90-$180 AU Dollars for a clean. So i rang nikon and complained and got another clean for free

chilipalmer Senior Member • Posts: 2,298

Did you take a picture and see if the dust pots showed up in the shot? I have had my D70 3 weeks and my pictures show no signs of dust spots. I didn't even check the sensor when I bought the camera. I have even swapped lenses "in the field", still no dust.

R Laing Veteran Member • Posts: 3,116
Set apt to f22 ....

...shoot clear color like blue sky. You might see spots.

Grzzl
Grzzl Senior Member • Posts: 2,967

My cam came with a charged battery and dust on de ccd/filter. I thought it was a used one but in some countries they check the cam before sending it to the dealers.

No worries. You don't have a tilted cdd or backfocus, because they looked at it.

A giotto rocket wil probably do the trick

Grzzl's gear list:Grzzl's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +3 more
OP Klaus Regular Member • Posts: 180
Sample picture

With my D70 the dust was also visible in real world shots, not only in test picures. Otherwise I wouldn't care.

Here is a link to a "real world" sample picture.
Warning: Large file !
http://www.pbase.com/hkd/image/41819313/original
You can only see the worst dust spots in this picture.

For testing I did shoot pictures of a completly white monitor picture or blue sky, with the smallest available aperture (> =22) and ideally completely out of focus. So the only relatively sharp objects in the pictures have to be dust. If you apply Auto-Levels to such a test picture the spots are even more obvious.

I would greatly appreciate your input on this issue. What are your experiences with sensor cleaning at shops, service centers or Nikon Service ?

Best regards
Klaus

With my D70 the dust was also visible in real world shots, not only in test picures. Otherwise I wouldn't care.

Here is a link to a "real world" sample picture.
Warning: Large file !
http://www.pbase.com/hkd/image/41819313/original
You can only see the worst dust spots in this picture.

For testing I did shoot pictures of a completly white monitor picture or blue sky, with the smallest available aperture (> =22) and ideally completely out of focus. So the only relatively sharp objects in the pictures have to be dust. If you apply Auto-Levels to such a test picture the spots are even more obvious.

I would greatly appreciate your input on this issue. What are your experiences with sensor cleaning at shops, service centers or Nikon Service ?

Best regards
Klaus

By the way...

I like to collect a lot of informations an experiences in this thread to give it to my local dealer. He is in contact with Nikon Europe because there are more an more D70's that have dust right out of the box. And we as customers shouldn't accept this. Also the dealers shouldn't accept this. The customers and dealers have a lot of work and troubles, because Nikon is not able to clean the cameras before they leave the factory.

Best regards
Klaus

Wally OZ Veteran Member • Posts: 5,194
Excess lubricant from the shutter

Those spots that wont move when the camera is new are not dust, I think they are excess lubricant from the shutter, see my post

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=13010925

Yep, done that nothing seen.
--
Lewis
http://chilipalmer.deviantart.com/gallery/

miso kaco
miso kaco Contributing Member • Posts: 983
yes, unfortunately

when mine arrived, it was so filthy that i returned it to nikon for cleaning right away. i could have done it myself but i believe that if you buy a new camera - a dslr that is, it should be clean to an extent, you know.

a week later, i had my camera back (nikon slovakia has no service center, they send everything to prague, czech republic...), with an even filthier sensor, hahaha. guess what i did next - took their demo d100 (even though i still had my 'old' d100 at home - and a d1, just for the record) and left my one-week-old d70 for cleaning

yes, i could have cleaned it myself the first time (i was no newbie to cleaning the sensor). am i mean? don't think so. i try to "educate" dealers in general this way. especially if it's about a new high-tech toy the costs of which will return after shooting no less than 8-10 events!

miso kaco's gear list:miso kaco's gear list
Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +1 more

That's what it should be. You've got luck. I hope to get my D70 back soon, and I hope Nikon has a better service than quality control.

By the way - Really great pictures in your gallery !

Regards
Klaus

railpics Regular Member • Posts: 200
Re: Sample picture

At f/22 it's inevitable that you will have visilble dust spots from time to time. Even if you take it back to Nikon and get it cleaned, another one will get in sooner or later that will show up.

-- hide signature --

Aussie railway photos:
http://www.railpage.org.au/vr/

Yeah maybe some dust will appear soon enough, I have a rocket air for that

Wow thanks for looking at the gallery!

pickwick at night to sleeping tiger (So far) are D70 shots, the others are with my Panasonic FZ10.

Re: yes, unfortunately

IMHO Nikon should take care to deliver cameras which are clean and therefore ready to use. A lot of D70 buyers are first time DSLR users and don't have any experience in cleaning sensors. This forum has enough horror storys of cleaning attempts which led to a desaster.

The camera stores don't earn that much per camera to pay for the time which a professional cleaning takes. And why should someone pay 1000€ or $ for a DSLR and then pay for cleaning it right after purchase ?

Regards
Klaus

Hi,

Glad to hear, that I'm not the only one with this problem.
How long did it take to get your camera cleaned by nikon service ?

Best regards
Klaus

Lionheart22/3 Senior Member • Posts: 1,872
Try this.............

........which works for me, (would suggest you return your camera and wait for a new one - if this is a faulty batch, what else may be wrong?) You will find you need to clean it yourself sooner or later

A lot of people use Pec-Pads & Eclipse liquid, which I understand can be very effective. I personally don't find I can get on with it and instead use the Scotch tape method, which always works first time every time and causes no damage at all according to my Nikon service agent who serviced it last week - no trace of the method left on the sensor at all. Here's how it works:

You need a 33m x 19mm Scotch Magic tape, made by 3M, Ref. No. 810 which comes in a green pack. Cut a strip 6" long and don't allow it to touch anything at all.

Perform a mirror lock-up, (see your manual), but make sure your battery is fully charged to avoid a shut down while cleaning.

With mirror locked up and lens removed you will see the sensor filter at the rear, (angled about 1" long and protects the sensor - you only have dust on the filter, not the sensor).

Fold your 6" strip of tape in half with sticky side out. Using the rear end of a biro or similar non-sharp piece of plastic, push from the non-sticky side of the tape at the middle point and gently touch it onto the filter. Push it out each side so that it covers it, (the tape is exactly the width of the sensor).

Once you have done this pull on one end and peel it off, (why you use a piece 6" long as it gives you some tails to work with), and you should have a spotless filter.

This may sound complicated but can be done in a few seconds once prepared. I have also done it "in the field", (try doing that with Eclipse liquid!).

Just to clarify and to avoid the undoubted deluge of experts who will tell you this may cause damage, it has never done so with me. I specifically told my Nikon agent when they serviced it that I had used this method around 9 or 10 times and would they please check for tape residue or other damage. They reported absloutely no trace whatsover and no damage at all.

I find this method much quicker than Pec-Pads and far more certain. Others will disagree - but whatever works for you is fine.

Lionheart

Dragons slain, serfs freed, maidens rescued, crusades fought, moats dug, sieges mounted, armour de-rusted, swords sharpened, boils lanced, teeth pulled, night soil collected, scolds bridled, outlaws hunted, virgins deflowered - call for free estimate

Lionheart

Re: Try this.............

Lionheart is the right nickname for someone who uses this cleaning technique

Jokes aside. I heard from your technique earlier, and it makes a lot of sense to me. As far as I know this Tapes dont work with a "normal" glue. It's the same with Post-it's. Their adhesiveness is based on the microstructure of their surface. I think the Speck-pad works the same way.

Your method has the advantage that the whole sensor is cleaned in one application of the tape.

Because this is my first dslr I'm not "lion-hearted" enough to try this as my first solution. And because the camera was brand new I decided to send it to Nikon.

In future I think this may be the technique to go. I think I will first try it with a microscope slide, and have a look through a microscope to prove there is no residue. Only because I'm a little paramoid

Thanks for reminding me on your technique

Best regards
Klaus

Digital Nigel Veteran Member • Posts: 9,026
Re: yes, unfortunately

Klaus wrote:

IMHO Nikon should take care to deliver cameras which are clean and
therefore ready to use. A lot of D70 buyers are first time DSLR
users and don't have any experience in cleaning sensors. This forum
has enough horror storys of cleaning attempts which led to a
desaster.

Is that actually the case? I've read lots of accounts of successful cleaning of sensors, but none of permanent damage being done. So far I've used a blower brush and micro fibre cloth, and while neither has done a perfect job, they've not done any damage either. I'll probably try a wet clean soon.

So, has anyone actually ruined their camera while trying to clean the sensor filter?

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Panasonic ZS100 Nikon Coolpix P900 Sony RX10 III +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads