30fps and 60fps difference?

Started Mar 28, 2005 | Discussions
ali_56
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
30fps and 60fps difference?
Mar 28, 2005

I'll be getting my SD400 tomorrow and I wanted to know whats the difference between shooting in 30fps and 60fps. Im betting 60fps is smoother? Is the difference noticeable?

Structure511
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?
Re: 30fps and 60fps difference?
In reply to ali_56, Mar 28, 2005

Im not 100% sure but I would have to say that its not to obvious. A digital camera is for pictures not movies. So i think 60 frames per second is a little overkill. I would also assume that it eats a lot of memory quick so be prepared to purchase a large memory card. Hope this helps a little.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DanCee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,659Gear list
Like?
Re: 30fps and 60fps difference?
In reply to ali_56, Mar 28, 2005

I haven't seen both movie.. but 60fps is meant for action movies.. 30 fps should do very well just like you see it on movie.. How to notice the different is prolly by taking movie of moving object like bouncing ball or moving car or train.. people jugling. Other than that, for daily activities it should look the same.

I suppose the powershot.com website has this two kind of movies But ya 60fps, should eat a lot of memories for sure hehe

ali_56 wrote:

I'll be getting my SD400 tomorrow and I wanted to know whats the
difference between shooting in 30fps and 60fps. Im betting 60fps
is smoother? Is the difference noticeable?

 DanCee's gear list:DanCee's gear list
Canon PowerShot A620 Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jugnoo
Regular MemberPosts: 207
Like?
Re: 30fps and 60fps difference?
In reply to Structure511, Mar 28, 2005

Structure511 wrote:

Im not 100% sure but I would have to say that its not to obvious. A
digital camera is for pictures not movies. So i think 60 frames per
second is a little overkill. I would also assume that it eats a lot
of memory quick so be prepared to purchase a large memory card.
Hope this helps a little.

Hi,
640 Resolution movie is better despite it is 30fps.

Have a look at the samples online at BeBit site. You will notice some difference. 60fps is for highly moving objects but only 320 Reolution.
you will be satisfied with 30fps......

I think 640(30fps) Resolution movie fills more space than the 320 (60fps).
Maybe sombody can confirm it.

Hope it helps.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
technicsplayer.
Senior MemberPosts: 2,003Gear list
Like?
Re: 30fps and 60fps difference?
In reply to DanCee, Mar 28, 2005

look at it this way, if you want to make your movies into a dvd it will be 25fps PAL or 29.97fps or 23.967fps NTSC spec as have every movie you have ever watched.

320x240 makes so-so quality movies, whereas 640x480 makes very good movies at 25fps, so resolution is more important than frame rate once you are at 25-30fps. DVD resolution is 720 or 704 width for instance.

so even if you make a 60fps movie it will have to be converted to 25/29fps to watch on a dvd player.

so just how important is 60fps and is it just a marketing exercise? make your own mind up

 technicsplayer.'s gear list:technicsplayer.'s gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ali_56
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
Re: 30fps and 60fps difference?
In reply to technicsplayer., Mar 28, 2005

Ok thanks for the help guys, another quesition; if I shoot a 30fps 640X480 video and later burn it on DVD, will the image quality suffer when the image is blown up on the TV?

technicsplayer. wrote:

look at it this way, if you want to make your movies into a dvd it
will be 25fps PAL or 29.97fps or 23.967fps NTSC spec as have every
movie you have ever watched.

320x240 makes so-so quality movies, whereas 640x480 makes very good
movies at 25fps, so resolution is more important than frame rate
once you are at 25-30fps. DVD resolution is 720 or 704 width for
instance.

so even if you make a 60fps movie it will have to be converted to
25/29fps to watch on a dvd player.

so just how important is 60fps and is it just a marketing exercise?
make your own mind up

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
B. H.
Contributing MemberPosts: 562
Like?
Re: 30fps and 60fps difference?
In reply to ali_56, Mar 28, 2005

ali_56 wrote:

if I shoot a 30fps
640X480 video and later burn it on DVD, will the image quality
suffer when the image is blown up on the TV?

If converted during transfer to DVD no doubt it'll degrade some, but if the TV displaying the video isn't high definition or a large screen that shouldn't matter a whole lot.

What I was thinking might be useful about 60 fps is that if playback can be done at half speed it should appear as good slow motion. Not sure if that is true or possible, just that many players (software or hardware) have the capability.
Admittedly, I hadn't thought of the fast action aspect to the higher frame rate.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lew2005
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
Re: 30fps and 60fps difference?
In reply to ali_56, Mar 28, 2005

ali_56,

You would use 640x480 @ 30 fps mode for DVD burning and normal
TV viewing. The 320x240 @ 60 fps mode is useful for creating smooth
slow motion video, similar to what you see in movies.

If you use a video editing program such as Adobe Premiere you can change the speed of the 60 fps clip by 50% to achieve 30 fps.
This creates a clip that is twice as long as the original but still keeps
the standard TV rate of 30 fps. This produces a smooth slow motion
clip; of course the image will be 320x240 which is a smaller image
on the TV than the normal 640x480, but the slow motion effect is
really cool.

Now if we could get 640x480 @ 60 fps that would be terrific !

Maybe a year from now consumer camcorders and digital cameras
will have this 640x480 @ 60 fps feature which would allow us to
make use of the smooth slow motion on a full size screen.

Lew

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ali_56
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
Re: 30fps and 60fps difference?
In reply to Lew2005, Mar 29, 2005

About the slow motion effect, can I change the speed of the 60fps clip on iMovie? Thats the video editing program I use.

Lew2005 wrote:

ali_56,

You would use 640x480 @ 30 fps mode for DVD burning and normal
TV viewing. The 320x240 @ 60 fps mode is useful for creating smooth
slow motion video, similar to what you see in movies.
If you use a video editing program such as Adobe Premiere you can
change the speed of the 60 fps clip by 50% to achieve 30 fps.
This creates a clip that is twice as long as the original but still
keeps
the standard TV rate of 30 fps. This produces a smooth slow motion
clip; of course the image will be 320x240 which is a smaller image
on the TV than the normal 640x480, but the slow motion effect is
really cool.

Now if we could get 640x480 @ 60 fps that would be terrific !

Maybe a year from now consumer camcorders and digital cameras
will have this 640x480 @ 60 fps feature which would allow us to
make use of the smooth slow motion on a full size screen.

Lew

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ali_56
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
Re: 30fps and 60fps difference?
In reply to ali_56, Mar 29, 2005

Ok I just checked it, yes I can. Thanks guys.

ali_56 wrote:
About the slow motion effect, can I change the speed of the 60fps
clip on iMovie? Thats the video editing program I use.

Lew2005 wrote:

ali_56,

You would use 640x480 @ 30 fps mode for DVD burning and normal
TV viewing. The 320x240 @ 60 fps mode is useful for creating smooth
slow motion video, similar to what you see in movies.
If you use a video editing program such as Adobe Premiere you can
change the speed of the 60 fps clip by 50% to achieve 30 fps.
This creates a clip that is twice as long as the original but still
keeps
the standard TV rate of 30 fps. This produces a smooth slow motion
clip; of course the image will be 320x240 which is a smaller image
on the TV than the normal 640x480, but the slow motion effect is
really cool.

Now if we could get 640x480 @ 60 fps that would be terrific !

Maybe a year from now consumer camcorders and digital cameras
will have this 640x480 @ 60 fps feature which would allow us to
make use of the smooth slow motion on a full size screen.

Lew

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Zarathustra
Senior MemberPosts: 1,797
Like?
Re: 30fps and 60fps difference?
In reply to ali_56, Mar 29, 2005

The difference is very simple, one is faster than the other.

But the real importance of those fram rates is how they will convert to NTSC video.

NTSC video is in fact 60 fields per second, each field forming an interlaced frame.

So if you want the smooth motion that the real Camcorders provide, you have to capture in 60fps and then interlace the content with a video editor.

That is relevant if you want to watch your video in your TV screen.

If it is for viewing in a computer monitor the 30 FPS will be better since is captured in a higher resolution.

Also the 60fps can be used in its progresive mode as a way to have smooth 60fps motion in the computer.

n the end it boils down to where you want to put the balance.
In image quality ----> VGA size 30 fps.
Motion quality -------> 320x240 60 fps

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads