SD Card problems Coolpix 4800 & 3200

Started Oct 24, 2004 | Discussions
Richard CH
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?
SD Card problems Coolpix 4800 & 3200
Oct 24, 2004

Has any body else been having "This card cannot be read" or "This card cannot be used" errors frequently with these cameras?

I bought the 3200 for my daughter and my brother in law bought the 4800, both have different brands of SD cards and both are getting these errors after a couple of days of use. The card can be read and reformatted in a USB card reader and then might work. I can also remove the card, take another shot (4800) and insert the card, everything OK. But removing the card, battery, turning on and off have no effect.

I searched using Google and don't see a rash of these problems being reported but 2 out of the 2 Nikon SD based cameras that I'm aware of are getting them. Our Nikon CF based ones are, and always have been, solid.

So before Best Buy and I get into an argument about their return policy...

Anybody got any suggestions?

Richard

gail
Forum ProPosts: 13,509Gear list
Like?
Re: SD Card problems Coolpix 4800 & 3200
In reply to Richard CH, Oct 24, 2004

Richard CH wrote:

The card can be read
and reformatted in a USB card reader

I really don't know much about this but from what I've read, reformatting a card in a card reader can cause problems such as you indicate. I don't know if this relates but I'll post it for what it's worth.

According to Nikon's Digital Knowledge Database, reformat a memory card in the camera only. If you've formatted using Windows XP and have problems, here's what Nikon says:

The default format for a disk in Windows XP is "FAT32", (File Allocation Table 32) Nikon Digital Cameras only accept cards formatted as "FAT "or "FAT16".

Please reformat the card and select "FAT" or "FAT16" from the format dialog box menu or simply format the card in the camera.

 gail's gear list:gail's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD700 IS Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Richard CH
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?
Re: SD Card problems Coolpix 4800 & 3200
In reply to gail, Oct 24, 2004

gail wrote:

Please reformat the card and select "FAT" or "FAT16" from the
format dialog box menu or simply format the card in the camera.

I made sure that it was formatted FAT.

The error was also happening when the card was formatted in the camera.

Richard

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Greg Gebhardt
Forum ProPosts: 25,318Gear list
Like?
FORMAT the card in the camera
In reply to Richard CH, Oct 24, 2004

Richard CH wrote:

gail wrote:

Please reformat the card and select "FAT" or "FAT16" from the
format dialog box menu or simply format the card in the camera.

I made sure that it was formatted FAT.

The error was also happening when the card was formatted in the
camera.

Richard

You got to take it as a hint if BOTH your cards are not working.
ALWAYS format your card in the camera.

-- hide signature --

Greg Gebhardt in
Jacksonville, Florida
http://www.pbase.com/greggebhardt

 Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica M9 Nikon D4 Nikon D800
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Richard CH
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?
Re: FORMAT the card in the camera
In reply to Greg Gebhardt, Oct 25, 2004

Greg Gebhardt wrote:

The error was also happening when the card was formatted in the
camera.

Richard

You got to take it as a hint if BOTH your cards are not working.
ALWAYS format your card in the camera.

As I wrote, the error happens even when it is formatted in the camera. I also pointed out that it happens on 2 cameras.

Anybody else seeing thsi type of issue?

Richard

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Thomas Gruen
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Re: SD Card problems Coolpix 4800 & 3200
In reply to Richard CH, Nov 9, 2004

Richard CH wrote:

Has any body else been having "This card cannot be read" or "This
card cannot be used" errors frequently with these cameras?

I bought the 3200 for my daughter and my brother in law bought the
4800, both have different brands of SD cards and both are getting
these errors after a couple of days of use. The card can be read
and reformatted in a USB card reader and then might work. I can
also remove the card, take another shot (4800) and insert the card,
everything OK. But removing the card, battery, turning on and off
have no effect.

Richard

I have had the same problem (CP3200) and using different SD cards didn't solve the problem. I was told by Nikon that this is not a firmware problem and that I should send the camera in for repair. They do not acknowledge that this has happened to any one else, and the camera store where I bought it hasn't had any reports of the problem!!

I have learned that the error is less likely to occur if the camera has been off for a while and that the more I use the camera, the more often the error message appears. No images are lost, and I can transfer pictures to a disk without difficulty.

I can live with this for the time being and will send the camera in after the holidays.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Thomas Gruen
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Re: SD Card problems Coolpix 4800 & 3200
In reply to Thomas Gruen, Feb 15, 2005

Thomas Gruen wrote:

Richard CH wrote:

Has any body else been having "This card cannot be read" or "This
card cannot be used" errors frequently with these cameras?

I bought the 3200 for my daughter and my brother in law bought the
4800, both have different brands of SD cards and both are getting
these errors after a couple of days of use. The card can be read
and reformatted in a USB card reader and then might work. I can
also remove the card, take another shot (4800) and insert the card,
everything OK. But removing the card, battery, turning on and off
have no effect.

Richard

I have had the same problem (CP3200) and using different SD cards
didn't solve the problem. I was told by Nikon that this is not a
firmware problem and that I should send the camera in for repair.
They do not acknowledge that this has happened to any one else, and
the camera store where I bought it hasn't had any reports of the
problem!!

I have learned that the error is less likely to occur if the camera
has been off for a while and that the more I use the camera, the
more often the error message appears. No images are lost, and I
can transfer pictures to a disk without difficulty.

I can live with this for the time being and will send the camera in
after the holidays.

-- hide signature --

Thomas C Gruen

I returned the camera to Nikon for service (took 3 weeks) and I have had no further problems with reading the SD card. Some circuitry was replaced and all is well.

T. Gruen

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads