Re: Okay, I don't get it.
In reply to DeadKenny, Aug 13, 2004

DeadKenny wrote:

Ah, I see.

But why strap it to the camera where it makes it look ugly and
might be more awkward (i.e. having to fit the thing when you want
to use the remote), why not have the remote on the floor in front
of the camera and a cable from the remote (i.e. just chuck it on
the floor and move to where you want to be)?

You are correct in observing that the remote doesn't have to be strapped to the lens and it can be placed anywhere there is a line-of-sight or reflective path between the remote and the receiver window. Strapping the remote to the lens simply assures that it won't become misaligned with the receiver window when the cable is moved.

Or even, build an IR reflector of some sort (in fact, can't you get
IR boosters/reflectors these days so people can use remotes from
other rooms etc?).

A number of threads have been posted in this forum which discuss various types of reflectors people have taped or attached to the D70 to allow it to be triggered by the remote from a wider angle or from behind. In fact, that's the method I originally used with moderate success. However, when shooting outdoors where there are no reflective surfaces from any kind of distance, the results can be less than reliable. There is also limit as to how far away from the camera the remote will work (10-15ft.) When taking photos of wildlife, it's often preferable to be further away or around a corner, etc.

IR booster/transceivers are certainly another option'

Absolutely, as long as you have a power source for both ends of the transceiver.

Ralph

I guess though that's one of the limitations that Nikon would like
people to spend more on a more expensive camera for

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow