Would you like to control/capture D70 from PDA?

Started Jul 14, 2004 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
spiked
Contributing MemberPosts: 564
Like?
Would you like to control/capture D70 from PDA?
Jul 14, 2004

=== I started a thread on this eariler, but screwed up the title, so I'm restarting from here ===

Nikon Capture is pretty cool for controlling the camera remotely via a PC, but I've been pondering a config where the same type of thing could be done from a PDA, which would be much easier to tote around, with lower power requirements.

There are PocketPC's available today with USB Host capability, so they could be connected to the D70. With the appropriate software written for the PocketPC (which would entail reverse engineering the PC-to-D70 Capture interface), one could control the camera remotely, automatically transfer photos as they're taken from the D70 to the memory card on the PocketPC, and display them on its hi-res color screen.

All this from a PDA which would fit in your camera bag, instead of having to lug around both laptop bag and camera bag.

Hardware costs for the PocketPC and USB cable would be as low as $250-$300 (the Toshiba e405 at $280 with USB Host cable would work, and there are likely others - I'm still scanning various PPC specs). Some PowerPC's accept CF cards, which would be convenient as you could use your extra D70 card(s).

Is this anything anyone would be interested in, or is the price out of range? It would seem to me to be attractive to those without laptops, or who need a PDA anyway for other applications.

Thanks,

spike

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow