ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rpc
rpc
Regular MemberPosts: 453
Like?
D70 Cable Release Plans - Part 1 of 2
Jun 30, 2004

I made a "cable release" for the D70 using an ML-L3 remote. It wasn't very difficult and I've supplied directions and pictures below. The ML-L3 was modified to allow it to be triggered by a switch attached to a cable. The remote itself was mounted on the lens using a Velcro cable tie so that it could point directly at the receiver on the camera. I was able to mount it on four different lenses without interfering with the focussing functions - for instance by attaching it on the zoom ring which normally wouldn't be adjusted while using a cable release. I also used it attached directly to camera body next to the lens mount pointing up towards the receiver with a small piece of paper taped above the receiver window to reflect the signal.

I made the length of the "cable release" adjustable by attaching RCA female sockets to the cable ends of the remote head and the release switch and used standard male to male RCA cables to connect them. The longest RCA cable I have is 50 feet and it worked fine. The remote head and switch can also be connected together with a male to male adapter to make a very short cable.

I experimented with a lot of different methods of modifying the remote and one very valuable tool I used is my Canon S45. Like most digital cameras that can use an LCD instead of a viewfinder, the IR signal from the remote is clearly visible on the LCD. This allowed me to test various setups to see if they allowed the signal to be triggered correctly. Most video cameras can also see these IR signals.

This first picture shows the finished "cable release" mounted on the camera.

A. Velcro cable strap

B. Modified ML-L3 remote with cable terminated with female RCA plug.

C. RCA male to male patch cable.

D. Trigger switch with cable terminated with female RCA plug.

This picture shows a close up of the modified remote mounted on the zoom ring of the 18-70 kit lens.

Because of message size limitations, I'll continue with the instruction for modifying the remote in the next message below.

Ralph

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow