Started Jun 8, 2004 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
greydarrah
Forum MemberPosts: 88
Like?
Please help fix moire problem
Jun 8, 2004

I'm a working portrait photographer that has previously run a Nikon only (D1X bodies) studio. I recently purchased a new Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n body and upgraded the firmware to the latest 5.0.1. I only shoot with high end Nikon lenses (f 2.8 ED zooms) and use a Profoto 2400 power pack with D4 strobes/soft boxes and I always shoot in RAW mode. I used the Kodak for the first time the other day and was very disappointed at the moire problem. The shoot was a boy with his guitar and you can see color moire at the link below (the first picture) in both the blue jeans he's wearing as well as on areas of the guitar strings, and although you may not be able to see it, if zoomed in, you can see splotches in the hair. I also shot this same session on my D1X, for a comparison, and there is no moire in any of those shots, as you can see on the second image on this web page. I need to figure out how to fix this and ultimately, how to prevent it. While someone may be able to live with it (or a "mostly" corrected version of it) if used for there personal photographs, I cannot deliver this to a client that has spent $400 to $700 on a photo session and possible another $500 to $1200 on a large print. I tried someones advice of converting to LAB, selecting the A and B channel and then running dust and scratches filter, but I still see some moire. Again, the result has to be perfect as I'm charging quite the fees. I also tried the moire noise filter (on the high setting) in Kodak’s Photo Desk, and it helped, but the moire was still there. No amount of money for a plug in that works would be too much, but I don't think that I can use the Quantum Mechanics filter that some recommend, as I'm totally PC based (I think the moire filter is Mac only), using PhotoShop CS. I'm determined to try and make this work, so please don't take up any space here with "I told you so" replies. I LOVE the resolution of this camera as well as its rendition of color. It's the best

I've seen.

Thanks for any help,

Grey Darrah

http://www.darrahphoto.com \Moire.htm

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow