Started May 29, 2004 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Andy Williams
Forum ProPosts: 24,446Gear list
Like?
tutorial: better b&w using selective color
May 29, 2004

i cannot emphasize the value of using selective color> blacks in your b&w conversion. i use it in almost every single b&w conversion that i do.

here's how. perform your normal b&w conversion. if you need a refresher on that, there's tons of info and a week's worth of reading in here:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1009&message=7475823

let's look at this image. here it is after my bw conversion and levels adjustment. still needs some pop though, eh?

now do layer> new adjustment layer> selective color

choose the blacks from the drop down menu and bump it up. sometimes as much as 100%, depending on the image. don't worry if it gets too much in certain parts, you can always back it off selectively, using the layer mask.

here, you can see that i used the layer mask and a soft edged fat brush to remove some of the added black from certain areas of the image. look closely at the layer mask in the layers pallette window. to see where i backed off the blacks, look closely at the tree/water line on the left hand side of the image.

and here's the finished product.

ir-modified sony f828, 1/200th sec, f/5.6, 720nm filter aboard.

enjoy (black and white) photography,

-- hide signature --

andy

'be a real student and take chances. live on the edge. teeter on the brink...skip on the tightrope. and if you fall, enjoy the wind on your smiling face.' -- paul lester

Andy Williams's gear list:Andy Williams's gear list
Nikon D800E Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow