Pretec 12 GB CF - just $14,900 ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started May 26, 2004 | Discussions thread
gasdive
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Clever marketing, clever price
In reply to Stealth, May 27, 2004

If you were first to market with this size then you'd be crazy to market it any other way. Say only 0.01% of users would buy at this price (someone mentioned NASA, someone else mentioned the camera makers, let me add to that some deep water inspections where it may cost close to that per minute to be on site and reducing time lost for card swaps could be significant).

So it's pretty clear that the first few off the production line can be sold for 15000USD. If you were selling a car and you knew you could get 15k for it would you sell it for 200 dollars?

So after a couple of months when that market is all mopped up and everyone who Has to have one has bought one, then you can drop the price to 5k and pick up everyone who really really really wants one. Couple of months later it's 2k, next year it's 1k, three years from now it's 200 dollars.

Almost everything gets marketed this way. Remeber the price of a CD burner? No, not then, think back a bit further. I remeber when there were only 3 in the world and they cost 100s of millions of dollars. I'm sure that you could now find a working one on a rubbish tip with a bit of careful searching...

Cheers Jason =:)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YeahNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow