Pretec 12 GB CF - just $14,900 ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started May 26, 2004 | Discussions thread
Sean Keegan
Senior MemberPosts: 2,994
Like?
I would trust them....
In reply to W Fenn, May 26, 2004

Well my take on that is, why not? I have been using CF cards for going on 8 years and never had one go bad. I know there are people who have had them go bad... but what percentage of CF cards out there go bad? .01%? We trust a lot more data to our 200 gig hard drives, to CDs and DVDs that can get scratched and are much more likely to lose data. As long as you treat them carefully they are safer than most hard drives.

Not to mention with the higher res cameras coming out.... like the Fuji S3 needing 24mb per RAW file, we are going to start needing these larger cards. 41 shots per 1 gig or 500 shots on a 12 gig card. That is not all that many shots really.

Now with a camera that averages 2mb per shot, I can see how it would be scary as you would be entrusting 6,000 shots to one card. If the card went bad with that many shots on it, it might make you want to cry for a week. I trust CF for the most part. Accidents happen, of course, but that is the case with any storage medium.

If the data is really important, there are services available that can retrieve almost all the data on a CF card almost 100% of the time, although it is costly. Higher capacity CF? I say bring it on!!! Someday those 12gig cards will be 200 dollars at best buy.

I remember the days where 128mb of RAM cost more than some people's houses! Remember that? Now I have 2 gigs of RAM in my laptop! There is a saying, you can never have too much money, be too pretty, or have too much memory... or something like that ;).

Regards,
Sean

W Fenn wrote:

Note to my editor:
I just shot the entire Olympics on one CF card but now I can't seem
to call up the images. Can you help?

Keep smiling.

Regards,
W Fenn
http://www.fennfoto.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YeahNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow