Editorial - State of the Portable Storage Market

Started May 26, 2004 | Discussions thread
Monica
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?
Hear, hear, with a few exceptions
In reply to LeeLove, May 26, 2004

I couldn't agree more, except with contention #3, which in its full glory wants these devices just for photos.

Video recording is a huge bonus of digital cameras, for me at any rate. As long as a PSD can recognize, store, and playback the multiple formats common among most digital cameras (.JPG, RAW, .AVI, .MPEG, .WAV), then count me in.

A strongly-held conviction on connectivity issues: there's no reason these things shouldn't have a decent on-board display as well as being NTSC/PAL compatible for TV viewing.

I was on the tippy-toe verge of splurging on a FlashTrax not to long ago, but the price vs. features seemed to me to be the prohibitive factor, and I chickened out on the purchase. I just want what LeeLove wants, too, and I think manufacturers are missing out on a huge market of digital camera enthusiasts by trying to offer PSDs that are the equivalent of a four-corkscrew Swiss Army knife.

Monica

LeeLove wrote:

Is it just me or does $700 for a PSD seem ridiculous ? What is
Nikon thinking ?

So now that I have got that off my chest here are some constructive
comments on what a PSD should have in order to be truly successful.

In order of importance.

1. Reliability, Reliability, Reliability
2. Rugged
3. Made for Digital Photography
4. Value per Dollar

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
FYINew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow