Started May 12, 2004 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ben_Egbert
Forum ProPosts: 20,227Gear list
Like?
What’s the 10D good for?
May 12, 2004

There are many areas of photography that I don’t attempt, like sports, people, etc, so this is merely from my perspective. Where I am going with this post is to attempt to define what areas of photography the 10D does well.

I shoot mostly nature, so I will start here. The 10D does pretty well for wildlife, just look at some of the stuff on this forum. It requires a decent lens, and the focusing could be better, but with good technique, it does a good job.

For fine art landscapes, it just does not have enough resolution, and the 1.6 crop also hurts. But I find it does well for seascapes where detail is less important. It is also pretty good for some compressed landscapes.

In fact landscapes are my first love, and I find that the images I am getting with my 10D surpass anything I did with 35mm. The ultimate problem is that I probably won’t be satisfied until we match large format film.

But he 10D is a great teacher. I go out and take the landscapes anyway, knowing the resolution will be low. I get to practice all the other aspects of the art. Like finding locations, figuring out compositions, the best time of day, etc. I then get to practice camera settings, and Photoshop techniques.

Someday, Canon will produce a camera that has what I need, and that I can afford. I hope to be ready for it. The 10D will be my teacher.

-- hide signature --
 Ben_Egbert's gear list:Ben_Egbert's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow