Started Apr 12, 2004 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
davidbr
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?
My D70 experience for what it is worth.
Apr 12, 2004

Just to set the record straight and not wishing to bore you. I have been a very enthusiastic amateur photographer for about 25 years.

I started with a Cosina C1 then Pentax Me Super, Nikon FM2 (I had 2 of them and took pictures for a national motor racing magazine) and then a Nikon 801. Which I had for about 10 years before buying my first digital P&S.

During this time I also had a Mamiya 645 Super and Bronica ETRS. I even tried a MPP 5X4 for a short while. I have used and understood the Zone system with a 1 degree spot meter. And I have developed and printed lots of my stuff in my own dark room.

So I do know a little, not much, but a little about photography and in particular exposure.

My first digital was a Canon S10 then a Canon S20. The S20 was awful and I took 3 back to my local Jessops store. Then a Casio, Canon G2 (great camera), and then a Canon G3 (even better). My first digital SLR was a Fuji S1 (brilliant camera) and then a Canon D30 (not so good).

On the 22nd. March I bought a Nikon D70. My model number is 8000260 and I think I have a duff one.

All I ask of a digital camera is to see on my PC screen what I saw through the view finder. I admit what you get from say a Canon G3 is a bit more colour full and a bit larger than life but I prefer that. I also admit I am after the wow factor and like what I get from my latest P&S camera a Canon Ixus 400. But what I get from the D70 is abysmal and no amount of post processing can bring back the wow factor.

I have taken around 800 images with the D70 and I am not happy with one of them. I have tried the kit lens 18-70 (not a very good lens). I have (all Nikon) a 20mm 2.8D, 28mm 2.8D, 50mm 1.4D, 85mm 1.8D and an 80-200 2.8D. They are all very good lenses so they are not the problem. I have down loaded Nikon Capture and adjusted the curve to "white wedding" and I am very impressed with the DEE control in Nikon Edit. But it still doesn't get back what I saw through the view finder which is why I took the picture in the first place.

So today it is going back to my local Jessops for a full refund. I haven?t given up and I will wait till the next batch arrives in GB and maybe try another one. I do really like the camera it is brilliant and Nikon should be very proud of their achievement but the images are not so good. I will keep watching this forum to see if things improve.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow