Flat view
ED
ED
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Nikon 990 Great turns Ugly
Feb 6, 2001

The Great!!!

As most 990 camera owners know, the ergonomics of this camera are awesome. The lens swivel independently of the LED monitor letting you compose images that would otherwise be impossible. I especially enjoy holding the camera at waste level and turning the lens to find the subject I am interested in shooting. Your camera is steadier for low lighting situations were flashes aren’t allowed, Your subject can be caught off guard as it isn’t as obvious that you are composing a picture, and if I forgot my reading glasses, the monitor is easier to see at arms length.

The Ugly

Due to the position of the flash relative to the camera’s lens, when using the flash, to take a picture of a person, the person always has a black outline oh their left side. Depending on the distance the subject is from a background, this outline becomes larger and grayer. This is very Ugly. The solution, a different flash. As a result of the awkwardness of the mounting brackets and the size of the flash everything gets uglier. When holding the camera at any angle other than where the monitor is vertical to the ground, the Flash is pointing at the floor or behind you. When the camera is at waste height, the bracket obscures the monitor and the flash is pointed at your toes. The camera has just lost all the benefits of the swivel body. Maybe the answer is a slave flash that isn’t attached to the camera???
Does anyone have any ideas???

ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow