ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Andy Williams
Forum ProPosts: 24,445Gear list
Like?
ladies and gentlemen, presenting...*sting*
Mar 6, 2004

hi everyone,

dw and i got a chance to see and hear sting in concert last night at nyc's beacon theater. whatta night! a magical date for nancy and me. a great dinner in nyc, the concert, and we even stayed over in town (no kids ;> ).

i was toting two cameras. my good friend harry behret lent me his nikon d100 for the evening, becuase i was so concerned about getting good shots indoors, far away, and in horrible lighting conditions. if the pics came out bad? my wife would have killed me and joined the road crew for sting! this is not a photographic venue suited to to the sony 828, is it now?

wrong! hehhehehe let me share my experience and results.

i have no doubt that the d100 (along with the superbly sweet 38 - 180 vibration reduction zoom) in accustomed hands will outperform the 828 under these conditions ... but i must tell you that i'm really pleased with the performance of the f828 and the results i got. i shot in iso 500 and 800 with the d100 and in iso 200 and 400 with the 828. i just finished printing up a couple of 8x10s from each camera, so nancy can get them autographed by "him" ... oh my ;). well... the prints look fabulous from both cameras. i processed all the images with noise ninja for noise reduction. as far as other post-processing, there was really nothing to do. only two shots out of over 100 keepers required purple or other color fringe removal... interestingly one was from the d100 and one from the f828. no big deal, i used shay's color fringe reducer action...piece of cake.

i found myself taking far more shots with the f828 ... of course i had a comfort level, but i reviewed the results during the show and i could tell that the picture quality was great - so why not keep using the sony? another reason was that because we were standing and dancing, the over-the-head swivel body shot using the f828 was a real easy one to get comfy with! i also used the digital zoom on the f828, it really is good.

sony f828, 1/30th sec, f/2.5, iso 200

nikon d100, 1/20th sec, f/5.6, iso 800

sony f828, 1/5th sec, f/2.8, iso 200

sony f828, 1/5th sec, f/2.8, iso 200

this shot is horribly oof but of it's one of my wife's favorites, she wants me to be able to jump this high when i'm 55 years old sony f828.

these two offer an intersting comparison of the nikon and the sony

nikon d100, 1/20th sec, f/4, iso 500

sony f828, 1/30th sec, f/2.8, iso 400

everyone was on their feet and standing for most of the concert -- what a great time - and it made for some very interesting "head framing." sony f828, 1/15th sec, iso 400

finally, after three encores, it was time for sting and his crew to end the magical evening. sony f828, 1/20th sec, f/2.8, iso 200

on the way out of the theater, we hung with john lithgow for a while

and then we waited by the stage door where nancy got to see her buddies from the band. got pics of her with all of them, so my work was done! here she is with dominic miller, the lead guitarist:

then, we headed over to the shark bar on amsterdam avenue, and guess who was there? yup. "him." well at this point, dw practically needed resuscitation, so i handled the intros out of respect for the intimacy of the setting, i took no photographs. it's a memory though, forever.

all in all, a fantastic evening. in fact, it was so good, that nancy is on her way back to the city right now, to catch the last night of the show! sigh.

if you'd like more, or larger sizes, there is a gallery of fifteen images here: http://www.moonriverphotography.com/gallery/78316

i put this gallery together because i met one of sting's business managers, and he agreed to look at some photos. i suggested that maybe he would barter future concert tickets in exchange for my photos, he thought that was a wonderful idea

enjoy (making your wife deliriously) photography,

-- hide signature --

andy
http://www.moonriverphotography.com -- galleries

enjoy the moonlight. but if you miss it, it'll be back in a few weeks.

Andy Williams's gear list:Andy Williams's gear list
Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yupNew
AndyNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow