Started Feb 27, 2004 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mrokay
Regular MemberPosts: 265
Like?
needs second opinion, cold feet
Feb 27, 2004

sort to be a bugger, but on tuesday I got the Canon 100 f/2 USm. (couldn't afford the 70-200 F4L new $630 and couldn't find it used in NY).

Spent some times yesterday testing it and found that the 100 f/2 doesn't have that much reach (I was trying to photograph some seagulls). I'm thinking about returning it for a tokina 24-200 3.5-5.6 lens. How much difference will another 100mm make?

The problems is, I do mostly landscapes (90%). Not alot of animals or birds to shoot in NY. So the zoom/telephoto will be used only occasionally when I need to reach in for something.

And because I'm not going to be using it alot I'm split.

One side of me saids,"live with the 100, you probably won't notice the 100mm difference when you;re not aiming for animals. Plus the faster lens on the canon might be useful when you shoot dogs or cats in the park or at your friends home. And it can give good background blur, no more photoshop."

Other side of me saids,"get the tokina, it's cheaper, you save a 100 bucks and if the lens qaulity isn't as good as the canon you're not using it enough to be that important of an issue. Besides you can always up the ISo if you need it for faster shoots. Can always use photoshop for background blur. Save the money toward the purchase of a 17-40L or sigma 12-24 instead"

SO what should I do? If i return it I have to do it soon

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow