ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kevin P Kitching
Senior MemberPosts: 2,231Gear list
Like?
CCD Sensor toughts from Focus, NEC
Feb 25, 2004

Hi All,

Took the opportunity to talk to Fuji & Nikon at the Focus on Imaging show at the NEC yesterday.

Nikon are quite definite that they will never produce a full frame sensor for their digital bodies. Reason is also explained fully in ther Nikon Pro magazine.

They are positive that the best image reproduction from lenses is with a APS sized CCD. Also explains why they are producing more 'DX' lenses now. Tried the 10.5mm DX lens, and wow! Not as much distortion on the S2 as you would imagine from a fisheye. Just got my local dealer to order one - should be grat for interior shots.

Fuji? Spoke to them and they did not have the prototype S3 on show. They did have the 'brochure containing pleriminary information' to hand out (their spelling - not mine!).

The reps (and I spoke to a couple at different times of day) stated that the S3 will not be available until after August ind it may be well into autumn (fall) before they are at dealers. No price was suggested.

The general feeling was that Fuji knew very little about the S3 in hard facts and stressed that the specifications 'could change'.

Highlight of the show for me was getting hold of a X's Drive Pro (20Gb) for saving images from Microdrives... The unit cost me less than a 2Gb card.

Other than that, the show wasn't exactly ground breaking with new launches - although the Kodak n frightened me to death when I looked through the viewfinder... Vistavision! Ah, the benefits of full frame.... 'Dear Santa, I would like a Ko.......'

-- hide signature --

Kevin P Kitching

Kevin P Kitching's gear list:Kevin P Kitching's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S2500HD Nikon Coolpix P7100 Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro +23 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow