Started Dec 27, 2003 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GagBagger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,855
Like?
Did Reichmann go BLIND?!
Dec 27, 2003

I just read, and then re-read, Michael Reichmann's new Sony F828 "Review" over at LL -- found here:
http://luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/sony828.shtml

While the thing is obviously built and designed exceptionally well for a high-end P&S digicam, I can't help but come away with a strong sense of "what was he seeing?" when looking at the comparison images -- particularly the ones shot with the F828 at ISO 64 compared to ISO 100 on the 10D.

Those 8MP images are so noisy and fail to resolve anywhere near the detail of the 6MP 10D files as a result -- forgetting even higher ISOs. Looking at the building detail, it's clear to see that Sony's new RGBE sensor with such a high density just isn't able to get the job done.

Perhaps I'm too used to smooth, clean dSLR images, but the F828 images look worse then Kodak's early 14n samples by a wide margin, and that's none too flattering. They SO hit a home run on the rest of the features (save for RAW speed) that I was dying for them to do likewise with the sensor as well. I've been looking closely at the images posted in STF, but they're all the same, noisy, blotchy images that Michael has posted.

That's too bad

Brendan
--
Things that make you go, hmmmm...

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow