Who uses 7-spot focus?

Started Dec 8, 2003 | Discussions thread
Victor Engel
Forum ProPosts: 14,976Gear list
Like?
Exchanged Lens Today -- New Results (IMGs)
In reply to Victor Engel, Dec 11, 2003

Victor Engel wrote:

I just did an experiment to see if there was some variability among
the various AF spots. The results are posted at
http://the-light.com/Photography/dpreview/focus/

The above is my test using my original lens. I exchanged it for another one at the place where I purchased it. I ran another test almost identical to the first test. The results are shown here:

http://the-light.com/Photography/dpreview/focus/index2.html

Differences in procedure:

In my first test, the toothpick holder was vertical. The camera was looking down slightly at it, so the holder itself was not parallel to the plane of focus. So I propped up the toothpick holder with one of the toothpicks and then set the camera on a tripod at a height that made the holder parallel with the plane of focus.

The other thing I did was to take two auto shots at each focus point.

One other change -- When focusing in non-auto mode, instead of turning the focus ring until the light lit up and then shooting, I focused until the light lit up, then backed away until it shut off, then back again slower until it came back on. I did this mainly to take care of any reaction time artifact. I expect this change of procedure should show a bigger difference between the left two columns.

Interestingly, the bottom focus point seems to be nearly dead on. The rest are all off a bit but better than the previous lens. I'm curious why there would be so much difference between two lenses that should have been identical. Any explanation?

Victor Engel's gear list:Victor Engel's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow