The Review and Phil's rating. A new thread.

Started Nov 12, 2003 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mark moe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,446
Like?
The Review and Phil's rating. A new thread.
Nov 12, 2003

First of all, I like all of Phils reviews. If he thinks the A1 is a "recommended" I'm ok w/ that rating. I think we can have another discussion about the A1 and see where all of us stand.

IMHO: .

I think some cameras are greater than the sum of its tests. I think the Fuji 602 was/is like this better than what meets the eye on paper.This is kind of like a car which is rated better than another by a thorogh test. Even when that top-rated car was on paper a little lacking in one catagory that is easy to measure such as horsepower. The A1 got knocked for the resolution test and like car's horsepower rating, resolution is good but how well one can utilize the parameter is just as important (flexibility of use).

I do think that the resolution test should be an important portion of the review, however CA- chromatic abberation has a lot more impact on the photos since it easily visible and hard to get rid of. For example with portraits, a lot of film shooters use a soft focus on purpose resolution to the nth degree really isn't what one would worry about.

Phil does some great tests but I think he missed a few of the nice features of the A1; i.e. the flexible focus point which is very good and convienent to use by feeling the control and the predictive focus tracking.

The A1 will probably be a cult camera. Those of us who like it have a reason not to get a DSLR. For me it wasn't for saving money that I bought the A1. It simply is the best camera that is smaller than a DSLR (IMHO).

Any thoughts?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow