Sexist Forum?

Started Nov 15, 2000 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Ruth Happel
Ruth Happel Regular Member • Posts: 206
Re: Sexist Forum?

Well, just to add to female opinion on this post, I think the fact that mostly men have responded to this particular post reflects the predominantly male membership of this forum. to respond to your first question: Although some of my questions have gotten lots of replies, others have gone unanswered, so I don't completely agree with the flood of replies to damsels in distress, though my name is pretty clearly female. That isn't to say that I haven't gotten valuable feedback from this forum- it is one of my best sources of information on the coolpix series- first the 950, and now the 990. But I don't think there is a huge bias toward women. Maybe I have sometimes gotten a few more replies, but that might be because I tend to ask questions that I know haven't been overdone on the forum (being a regular visitor) and that also aren't very easy to answer, so tend to inspire a variety of opinions. The thing I like about this forum is that everyone seems to largely treat each other with respect, male or female, and that doesn't always happen in the real world.

Sal Giambruno wrote:
Michael, PowerPet is the only female that has responded, as far as
I am aware.

Michael Puckett wrote:
So far a meriad of responses have been rec'd, the bulk in good
taste. I was wondering though, if by chance you noticed how many
members of the kinder sex commented in this thread?

- - -

Sal Giambruno wrote:

I believe I am noticing a sexist trend in this NG. To wit, when a
female (or someone with a feminine pen) posts a message,
interesting or not, she ends up with a flood of replies, most of
which are overly elaborate. On the other hand, when a male posts,
unless the question is of great interest, it goes largely
unnoticed. Is this a "Damsel in Distress" syndrome, or are my
observations without merit?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Xan
ian
pad
ian
ian
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow