Sexist Forum?

Started Nov 15, 2000 | Discussions thread
Ruth Happel
Regular MemberPosts: 206
Like?
Re: Sexist Forum?
In reply to Sal Giambruno, Nov 17, 2000

Well, just to add to female opinion on this post, I think the fact that mostly men have responded to this particular post reflects the predominantly male membership of this forum. to respond to your first question: Although some of my questions have gotten lots of replies, others have gone unanswered, so I don't completely agree with the flood of replies to damsels in distress, though my name is pretty clearly female. That isn't to say that I haven't gotten valuable feedback from this forum- it is one of my best sources of information on the coolpix series- first the 950, and now the 990. But I don't think there is a huge bias toward women. Maybe I have sometimes gotten a few more replies, but that might be because I tend to ask questions that I know haven't been overdone on the forum (being a regular visitor) and that also aren't very easy to answer, so tend to inspire a variety of opinions. The thing I like about this forum is that everyone seems to largely treat each other with respect, male or female, and that doesn't always happen in the real world.

Sal Giambruno wrote:
Michael, PowerPet is the only female that has responded, as far as
I am aware.

Michael Puckett wrote:
So far a meriad of responses have been rec'd, the bulk in good
taste. I was wondering though, if by chance you noticed how many
members of the kinder sex commented in this thread?

- - -

Sal Giambruno wrote:

I believe I am noticing a sexist trend in this NG. To wit, when a
female (or someone with a feminine pen) posts a message,
interesting or not, she ends up with a flood of replies, most of
which are overly elaborate. On the other hand, when a male posts,
unless the question is of great interest, it goes largely
unnoticed. Is this a "Damsel in Distress" syndrome, or are my
observations without merit?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow