NX300 firmware hack to remove video recording limitations

Started Nov 9, 2015 | Discussions thread
otto k Senior Member • Posts: 2,101
Some interesting things from NX500 firmware - LONG POST!

Fair warnings:

1. I dont have NX500 or NX1
2. Firmware is compressed in such a way that I'm unable to properly extract most files (they are corrupt) and as such I have no way to currently "hack" firmware. Doeas anybody have older version(s)?
3. IMHO - tools available in firmware are really for service people - there are things that require specialized external equipment, but also tools that control
very low level stuff like RAM access or DMA, SPI, etc - it would be **VERY** easy to brick one's device by executing them without any documentation.

That said, here goes short version:

It is possible that scan.sh file is executed from SD card on WiFi scanning, or inbuilt iwlist if nothing is found on the card. Maybe someone with NX500 or NX1 could check?

HDMI can output 480, 576, 720 and 1080 (no 2160) but there appears to be support for up to 240fps (at least as a value in a table).

Also, file names nx_cs.adj is definitely searched for on SD card (also alt.adj, nx_dev.adj, paf_adj_restore.adj, etc). Also, iperf is used for testing Wifi

Regarding sensor modes (for video): FHD, Cinema, Video60, Video120, Video240, VideoHFull, VideoFull, ModeQHD, UD, UD_Crop1, UD_Crop2, 720P60
If UD is UHD there are at least three different crops, tecno will love this
There seem to be 7 movie modes 0 - 6 (0:UHD/1:UHD_D/2:FHD/3:CINEMA/4:HD/5:VGA/6:QVGA) - can someone check if they are all present in menus? (**two** UHD + CINEMA - it that 4k?)

Frame rates go from 4fps to 240fps in many increments. Pixels can be read in 10, 12 and 14 bits.

There are a bunch of functions that (it looks like that to me) call directly HW functions of DRIMe5,
all prefixed with d5_ like d5_ep_3dlut_op_init (oh, yeah, there is code for loading custom LUTs), d5_ep_top_change_jpeg_moa_for_conti_cap, d5_ipc_set_dram_addr, etc.

Supported lens by this FW (sorry, no unknown lenses
NX 30mm F2
NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6
NX 50-200mm F4-5.6
NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6
NX 20mm F2.8
NX 18-200mm F3.5-6.3
NX 60mm F2.8 Macro
NX 16mm F2.4
NX 85mm F1.4
NX 45mm F1.8
NX 45mm F1.8 [T6] 2D/3D
NX 12-24mm F4-5.6
NX 16-50mm F2-2.8 S
NX 10mm F3.5 Fish Eye
NX 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 Power Zoom

You can even control liveview gain from x1 to x32 (so, from ISO100 to ISO3200?) and separate gains for R, G and B.

SD card is probed for some files like dpc_faf (fast AF) dpc_vfaf (very fast AF - hilarious).

"Raw" RAW files can be dumped to card to file named RAW_someid.raw (they are just dumps of reads from the sensor, no EXIF, etc).

For color shading servicing you need 16-50pz.

Apparently there are three different AWB modes in there: EX2F, NX200 and NX1.

It seems to me that focus position is recorded to MakerNotes filed in EXIF, as well as data on focus contrast etc (could be useful to someone).

Also, there is **extensive** debugging and service logging in firmware, seriously, it's incredible what data seems to be possible to be gathered
(e.g. SD card file paflog0.txt contains detailed AF values with, I kid you not, average and standard deviation for bunch of parameters, etc).

Examples of available service mode commands (IIRC it's a single tool called **st** with many many commands and parameters) are in next post (MOD can delete it if it's too long).

otto k's gear list:otto k's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Taffy
MOD Taffy
pt5
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow