Nikon refused to repair gray market lens. Doh!

Started May 13, 2009 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Photog One
New MemberPosts: 1
Re: Nikon refused to repair gray market lens. Doh!
In reply to walfy, 1 day ago

If I were you I would cease to buy Nikon products as I recently have! There is no good reason why Nikon should not repair your lens and charge a reasonable amount for the repair. Unfortunately, the company has changed a great deal in the way they deal with and regard their faithful customers. It's all about the buck and the bottom line with every whit of sentiment and empathy squeezed out of the equation! If I were you I would contact B&H and let them take care of the repair or perhaps arrange for a trade in since you did buy the lens from them.

Because Nikon could not effectively prevent its dealers from selling grey market goods, it seeks instead to discourage the consumer by raising warranty issues. Without exploring all the legal ramifications involved in such a policy, suffice it to say that as a practical matter it makes good sense to avoid grey market goods for the very things you experienced. An excellent discussion of this by a reputable dealer was written by Bill Crutchfield whose essay I respectfully suggest you read.

I have been a Nikon customer since about 1963 when I bought my first SLR, a Nikon F.  It's in great condition and I still own it today as well as some of their earlier lenses marked in centimeters rather than millimeters.  That was Nikon/Nippon in its heyday.  It was a time when they treasured their customers and went out of their way to accommodate someone and keep them happy!  I recently was misled by someone at their 1-800-NikonUS number as to what was packaged with their D5300.  This resulted in my buying a print user manaul from them at a cost of about $17 including shipping and tax.  After discovering it was in fact included with the camera, I called them and sought to return the item which had not even been removed from its shrink wrap.  They flatly refused to take a return and would make no refund which is their prerogative I suppose.  However, it was they who lost in the long run because after experiencing their blast of chilly Holiday weather, I decided to return the the new D5300 and and the two lenses I bought to the retailer from which they were purchased.  I am certain in one way or another they'll hear about it from their retailer though I wouldn't expect them to change the way they do business till they see a significant falloff in their sales.  Who knows?  It could happen--maybe sooner than they think.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow