Not that impressed by M43 image quality I see - should I go with DSLR?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
orey10m Junior Member • Posts: 39
Not that impressed by M43 image quality I see - should I go with DSLR?

In an effort to decide on a new Interchangeable lens camera system for myself, I have started doing tons of research. One of the best things I did was start a thread asking some questions on the micro four thirds forum, as I have been leaning towards a mirrorless camera. I would like to do some video in the near future, but I also really want to start by learning how to get great stills. I think this is a given. I have been directed/swayed towards the likeness of the Panasonic G6 (and maybe even G7), while initially being interested in something like the now 'retro' GH2.

The point of this post however is to try and hear some arguments for starting out with a DSLR. And the basis for it is this - I have started to casually keep track of the "Through your Micro Four Thirds" image threads week-by-week on the forum here at dpreview, and to put it nicely I haven't been that impressed with the images I see posted. I think the really good photographers would stand to say "well, that's really on the user of the camera. don't take what you see in that thread as the best images those cameras can produce, or even as an average of the image quality you can expect."

But is that really the case? Who am I to think I'd do any better? At least initially I think I would get much of the same results..and I feel that I am simply looking for more. For some reason I think that as a beginner maybe the average picture quality I take could be better with a DSLR.

The other thing to consider is that i know those images are a very small sample size of images taken with quality mirrorless cameras. Perhaps someone can direct me to a source for some more beautiful (and compelling) images taken on mirrorless equipment.

Image quality speaks for itself. I don't care so much about all these gadgets and craziness that the marketing engine seems to promote.

-- hide signature --

my digital photography:
- yero.vsco.co -

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow