How to check OM-D E-M5 shutter count

Started Sep 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
New MemberPosts: 3
Re: How to check OM-D E-M5 shutter count
In reply to hellowin, 1 week ago

Olympus rises from the ashes. When all seemed lost to the Japanese technology giant, or at least for popular photographic branch, when the financial scandal that threatened even in the shadow of the Japanese mafia, as worshipers signature complained to Olympus for having forgotten SLR the E-system ... Olympus arrives, invented this little jewel of the family micro four thirds and dazzle us again.

Let us, before we get into depth with the camera, an overview of the main features, those that are advertised in brochures stores to be the most attractive:

Sensor Live MOS, 4/3 "and 16 megapixels of resolution

EVF resolution of 1.4 megapixels and 100% coverage

New image stabilizer 5-axis

ISO 200-1600 which can be forced up to 25,600

Gusts up 9fps

Video recording FullHD 1920 × 1080 30p.

And folding touch screen OLED 3 inches and 610,000 dots of resolution

Olympus OM-D E-M5, design and construction

Many cameras are not focused on the niche of professional photography that are advertised as such even when they share one characteristic alone with these others, in principle, designed for maximum efficiency. This Olympus OM-D E-M5 has not born, I understand, to meet the needs of a professional photographer but this does not prevent him having a metal body, housed in a magnesium alloy as the 12-50mm objective kit we tested, perfectly sealed.

The quality of materials and finishes has always been one of the strengths of Olympus to its users, among whom I meet, we have always grateful. Have the feeling that your camera, this hard-won, is a plastic toy is something that we have been through.

The camera can be found in black and silver, with an unmistakable flavor of old glories of the firm but without giving up a few lines that give it a look sober, modern and elegant. Note that kind of pyramid on crowning the body, which normally go bump flash or where our SLR keep pentamirror here serves to house electronic viewfinder and 5-axis system controlling the image stabilizer. When coupled with an external flash the set seems to grow up too much but it is a lesser evil, more aesthetic than anything else.

Despite what the pyramid on bulky metal body and the camera is not at all heavy and handles very well. It has a minimum grip that would be too small if not for the support for the thumb to the rear of the body work together remarkably well and if you want to improve there is still the possibility of coupling the grip there as a supplement.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 general plan

Controls and Shortcuts

One of the weaknesses of these small mirror less cameras so popular now is that because of this, by the limited space, often lack a sufficient number of buttons that assign shortcuts. In this case, although the keypad of the camera did not like me too, there is that problem and we have several buttons that can be configured at will, one in the kit lens itself.

There are two control wheels with which we will have to adjust shutter speed and aperture in addition to independently move through menus if we want. These, together with the mode dial, direct access to the video recording and a button that, although by default provides access to a calibration curve can be configured for most other 3 functions, complete the game in the top.

The button layout on the back is the standard in most cameras, a button freely configurable shortcuts to the gallery, paper and menus and button switches between the different ways of displaying information on the screen rear. The novelty is the presence, behind the on-off button of the camera and its ease of operation questionable. Buttons, generally has a touch too soft, they are small and some are so placed that does not facilitate its pulsation. It is possibly the biggest drawback of the camera.

The screen, as mentioned, is hinged, extracted from the body and swivels. No other mobility such as Sony SLT -A77 but seems to me enough.

Shooting with the Olympus OM-D E-M5

The first is turn on the camera, the first well should always read the manual. The problem is that Olympus understands now that the hardware and its readers are becoming less common in computers is the best time to give up the printed manual and include it on the CD. The small guide first steps is insufficient.

Having read this mini guide had successful the first with the power button, which cost me a few seconds to find as it is located under the crosshairs that controls the menu on the back. Yes, where I remember never seen the button on any camera.

Once you found and pressed the button you realize that Olympus is a bit lazy in the awakening and takes you a few seconds to boot. It is not a drag on the whole but some improvement. After turning on the computer, the first contact with the screen is spectacular and although lower resolution than others I could handle, cost me find the differences.

The Olympus OM-D E-M5 emits a constant buzz that comes, it seems, the image stabilization system. Not high, you can ignore, but it sounds, not suitable for very maniacal detail users.

With the viewfinder so do me a bit with the screen. I liken it to the viewer that incorporates the Sony SLT -A77 and although the Olympus is lower resolution than the Sony, it seems better utilized as no observed lag whatsoever if it is not forcing the situation, either with a filter creative and low light conditions. It is, in short, very pleasant to use.

One advantage of this type of viewers is that you can perform any function without taking the eye of the camera, with what it implies. With a finger controlling crosshead we can make any type of modification of the shot, the camera settings or information you see in the viewfinder.

Details Olympus OM-D E-M5

We can, as I say, without taking the eye of the viewer, see the real-time histogram, change the contrast of the picture with the curve that I told you before, zoom in to focus in manual or even highlight in orange and blue lights burned and shadows respectively pasted, everything is available to provide reaching our eye feel even that too many shortcuts and other buttons.

A quick look at the menu configuration is enough to convince us that this camera is aimed at a photographer and experienced. It is well organized but such is the amount of options available that will take us a while to configure it according to our preferences.

The goal that we could test kit, the 12-50mm, I have no complaints, just the opposite. And includes a button freely configurable to add to the existing body has some interesting detail as a selector for the zoom mode. The ring with which the focal length handle has three positions: The first handle the zoom manually, the second active power zoom and third, the macro mode is locked with a button activated.

After setting the camera to our liking and the shooting mode selected from those available, traditional PASM, besides the automatic and various scene modes and creative original and well resolved we start shooting. If we said that before the start of the camera is rather lazy, during shooting changes completely.

Both in focus as it is shown in the shot quickly and efficiently. The Olympus OM-D E-M5 came with the self-imposed crown the fastest camera in focus. The truth is that it is fast, but the differences are insignificant other. If we take the blast, know that we can get to the interesting figure of 9 fps but considering that in this mode, the camera would focus and expose only the first shot and the rest would those values. During storage of the photographs we can continue operating the camera smoothly even further pictures.

The tactile possibilities of the rear screen leaves a sour taste. Although generally you can do many things on the screen by pressing left with the feeling that it could have taken better advantage. You can select a finger focus point, take the picture by tapping on the screen, move between pictures with a gesture or zoom and move on them (without gestures) but we cannot, for example, make selections in the shooting menu . So, this way, you can tap your finger a menu option but to confirm you press a physical button.

Video recording, to meet record, and although it includes some creative effect not expect complete and upper chambers manual controls.

Real samples

I've been quite satisfied and why not say, impressed with the results I could get. The dynamic range is very interesting, which thanks to the latest sensors are mounted cameras and almost no surprise. The automatic white balance, for those you are shooting in jpeg, has not given me problems and tone reproduction is correct, without fanfare or faults.

I'll let you two examples, just two and two very specific situations. Two shots interior, with the typical light from any house with a shutter speed slow enough so that the image stabilizer can show off with a value ISO high, particularly ISO 2500 because as we all know the noise has traditionally been the big problem Olympus.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 ISO2500

Olympus OM-D E-M5 ISO2500 -2

What do you think? The detail, although lower than we would get with a larger sensor and having been diminished by a value ISO tall, 2,500, still more than acceptable. With this camera Olympus continues on the path started with the PEN and sought to distance himself a bit of noise management so that unfortunate SLR offering the E-system . The above are two JPEG straight from the camera, without touching anything. Imagine what level we get properly processing a raw.

As I said earlier Olympus returns to deliver solid, those to which we are accustomed. A very serious camera, with claims that go beyond the occasional and inexperienced photographer and a quality in the construction and the results beyond doubt. It has improvable things like the pendant that I think is the worst of all, or noise which causes the image stabilizer which a user can get to annoy. They are small defects that do not cast a shadow, I think, to a large chamber. The price exceeds by some 1,000 € with the 12-50mm kit, price is really tight for what it offers but that may seem a bit high when compared to some higher reflex in theory.

-- hide signature --

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow