PIX 2015

Thumb grip for GX7?

Started Dec 31, 2013 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Senior MemberPosts: 2,816Gear list
Fotodiox Thumb Grip Type A Works on the GX7
In reply to New Daddy, 2 months ago

New Daddy wrote:

I was wondering if a particular model is especially a good fit with GX7.

I recently purchased a used GX7 and it came with a Fotodiox Thumb grip. I think it is Type A (short) because it is 4.5cm which is what the product description states. The longer one (Type B) is 6cm.

Fotodiox Thumb grip Type A

Fotodiox Thumb grip Type B

The grip slides easily into the hot shoe. It does not protrude past the eyepiece, so does not interfere with sliding in and out of my camera bag. It is very strong, and there is no "give" when pressing on it.

The grip does not restrict access to any of the controls

The pop up flash is not restricted.

Having said all of that -- I don't use it:

• My thumb is too far away from the controls, and I don't find it convenient to constantly move my thumb from from the grip -- to the rear wheel, for example.
  • Many years ago, I trained myself to hold/balance the camera in my left palm with thumb/middle finger around the zoom ring.
  • My right had just steadies the camera. It is not holding the weight of the camera while shooting, so there is no chance of it hitting a control by accident
  • I've trained my thumb to grip on the thumb rest, and haven't had a problem. I can carry the camera with my right hand that way with the camera on while walking without a problem.

Nonetheless, it is a well-thought out design and very well constructed, for anyone interested in it.

- Richard

-- hide signature --
 richj20's gear list:richj20's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow