soloryb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,795Gear list
Like?
Re: Epson 3880 Photo Black/ Matte Black nozzle not working
In reply to Michael Fryd, 2 weeks ago

Michael Fryd wrote:

soloryb wrote:

scenesmith wrote:

I had the same problem in the past and somehow got it working again, how I don't remember. I decided to never switch and always use only photo black. Problem is, I printed a file on plain paper and didn't notice that it had chosen matte ink and did the changeover automatically. I wish it always wold ask you if you want to switch inks. So now again, when I switched to photo black, no black printed. No black showed in the nozzle check either. I had heard about the black switch problem so I assumed I was dead in the water. I did a regular cleaning though, and the black reappeared. I don't know if it was just luck of if an air gap in the ink line needs to be cleared to start working again. For safety I still intend to never switch blacks if I can help it, defeating the purpose of that feature in the 3880. After all the problems I've had in the past with many Epson printers I think I will give up on them and try Canon next time. Their large format printers have both blacks online at all times and the heads are user replaceable. A couple of local labs switched from Epson to Canon and have been very happy. One especially praised Canon's customer service.

Good decision to switch to Canon LF printers. I switched from a 3880 to a Canon ipf6400 about 9 months ago and have not regretted the change.

soloryb

Perhaps I am misunderstanding the specs, but the Canon ipf6400 looks to be a 24" roll paper printer. More like the Epson 7900 then then Epson 3880. The Canon printer corresponding to the Epson 3880 looks to be the iPF5100.

My 3880 is dying, and soon, I will need to replace it.

I need to produce high quality "archival" photos. I need Ethernet connectivity, and a reasonable cost of operation (comparable to, or less than, the Epson 3880).

I need a printer than can handle stacks of cut sheets from 4x6" up to 17x 25". I want to be able to print borderless on 4x6, 5x7, 8x10, 8.5x11, 17x22 and 17x25.

Being able to occasionally print on 17" roll paper would be a plus.

I don't have room for a free standing printer, so I need a printer that will sit on an existing countertop.

I was considering the new Epson SureColor P800, but I am willing to look at alternatives.

Does Canon have a product that will meet my needs better than the Epson SureColor P800? Are there other printers I should be looking at?

I don't think Canon makes what you're looking for - in a stack printer that can print 17" wide stuff.

I do think the ipf6400 is a better printer than the 3880, having owned both - but it can't do stacks and kind of sucks at cut sheet handling (although it will do it one at a time).

soloryb

soloryb's gear list:soloryb's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow