Minolta 24-85mm RS f/3.5-4.5 on Full Frame

Started Feb 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
tqlla
Senior MemberPosts: 2,202Gear list
Like?
Re: Have you considered an APS-C format WA/UWA lens option?
In reply to Sonolta Shooter, 1 day ago

Sonolta Shooter wrote:

Dannno wrote:

It's a great little lens. I bought it to use on my A850 for interior photos of my work. (I design and sell custom kitchens). I needed to go wider, so I primarily use a Minolta 20mm prime.

Dan

Apart from the Min AF 17-35/3.5 G, there is very little for the A850/A900 in wide-angle (WA), and those that are, apart from the lens above are standard grade such as the Minolta/Tamron 17-35mm, Tok AF 19-35 and Tok AF 20-35/2.8 AT-X, but if you're OK with 11MP, buy something like a Sigma AF 17-70 DC Macro, SAL 16-50/2.8 SSM, Tamron 17-50/2.8 Di-II or other quality APS-C format WA or UWA lenses and set the A850 to APS-C mode, though use the inner rectangle for framing.

There are plenty of excellent WA and UWA optics in APS-C format unlike FF. Why not go to the Dyxum website and insert your search criteria and review the results, user feedback and image samples? It's one of the excellent features of the A850/A900. The standard viewfinder is shown below with explanation of what the markings mean (just in case you weren't aware:

Additional info can be found here.

-- hide signature --

Mark

With Crop lenses, you will still have the Crop FOV even on a Full frame camera. None of those APSC lenses will give you wider than the FF 24-85mm lens.

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A99 NEX-5T Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow