? Best Nikon teleconverter

Started Jun 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,662Gear list
Re: ? Best Nikon teleconverter
In reply to rrrremus, 3 months ago

rrrremus wrote:

5tve wrote:

Well the VRI is known for problems with soft corners but its never bothered me as i use it mainly for portraits & when I shoot sports the corners get cropped anyway.

I'm thinking of getting the TC_20E_III to go with my 70-200 mm VRI so long as it performs well in a 1.2 crop mode

herbymel wrote:

Jim Dougherty wrote:

Mansurov is very high on this combination (70-200 and tc-20E III):

Actually their recommendation is for the VRII version, for the version she has they consider it to have unreliable results. They said the VRI version performs poorly with any converter over 1.4. Best to see some actual pictures rather than rely on reviews though.

I just purchased the 1.7x teleconverter to use on the 70-200 VR I.

Your assumption of needing to shoot in 1.2X crop mode while using a teleconverter does not make sense as the teleconverter will ignore the corners of the lens. The IQ is downgraded because you are only using the center of the glass.

"The IQ is downgraded because you are only using the center of the glass"?  I don't think that is a technically correct statement.  Using the center of the image could only help to preserve the IQ quality.  Your comment would imply that using a FF lens on a DX crop camera results in lower IQ because you are only using the center of the glass.

Unfortunately, a TC puts more optics into the light path along with all the distortions that come with that.  TCs have to be created to work with a variety of lenses as well.  The IQ drop-off would not be as great if the TC was designed to be used with only a single specific lens.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow